Thread: Why only one save?

Why only one save?

I would like to first of all say how great a game The Banner Saga is. This game has one of the best mature stories I've seen in a video game ever and the branching stories appear to be extremely well implemented and begs for replayability.

Which is WHY ON EARTH would you not allow for multiple stories to be saved. I really want to keep my save file for the first play through, since I find it the most authentic to use in the (very much hopefull) upcoming chapters. This is really really frustrating since I really want to give the game another go, but this feature has simply stopped me from doing it. Please implement this in a patch as soon as possible, because it's just (sorry) stupid.

I really hope i get the point across, that the reason I hate this so much is because the game is so enjoyable.

Yeah. I haven't finished yet, but I don't like that prospect (of overwriting my first run-through when I replay) either.

Also, the single slot shuts down using one copy on one computer for two people. That's not my situation, but I guess such folks would have to get separate Steam accounts.

In interviews during development Stoic talked a lot about the importance of your choices in Chapter 1, and mentioned they might have consequences even in future games. It would be wonderful is Stoic was able to allow players to export/save their games after completing the game so they could (eventually) continue them in future installment of the Banner Saga. It's a shame for people to have to lose very successful games if they want to play again.

Indeed. I am generally in favor of having a single "active" save-slot, but I would like to have all my play-throughs somehow "recorded", even if not re-loadable. It would be really awesome if Stoic have a "embroider story on a banner" thing, where all the story is imprinted on a banner that you can review. It doesn't need to be in detail or anything, just "pictures" that produce a different pattern for each different story branch...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

That's a nice idea Aleonymous, although might take a bit too much time away from other stuff to implement it. But yes, at least let us keep the final save for each game... and perhaps attach a small summary of major choices to it.
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rymdkejsaren View Post
    That's a nice idea Aleonymous, although might take a bit too much time away from other stuff to implement it.
    If you think about it, the game is fairly linear and it boils down to 10-15 places where the story truly branches.

So, I was thinking that these "story banners" should be made up of an "array" of 15-20 scenes, where each "slot" is different (or not there), depending on your choices. Example (mild spoiler!): If Egil dies in Skogr, there is a scene in the banner where a giant crushes a kid protecting another kid; if he doesn't, well, that's just not there! There should be, of course, a lot if "filler" slot/scenes, for the events present in all different playthroughs. Finally, the fabric's color could also change from chapter to chapter (with the POV shift), in some non intrusive way...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I'm bumping this one. Cause I really really want an answer from the dev team. I so much want to replay this game, but just can't get myself to do it.

Yeah, I agree w/ the OP.

I want to start a new playthrough, but I don't want to overwrite my existing, finished track/line of save files.

I hope more save options/profiles will be made available in the future, along w/ subtitles for the limited voice acting portions and volume controls.
    "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

Here's a quick solution for backing up your saves from the chat log.

New [16-01, 17:31] LearningTheCurve: can't I just copy the whole saga1 folder in Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\TheBannerSaga\Local Store\save
    New [16-01, 17:31] LearningTheCurve: cause that is what I was gonna do before i started my next game
    New [16-01, 17:32] Guğmundr: Yes, that's right LTC.
    New [16-01, 17:32] Guğmundr: For me, in Windows 8, it's here: C:\Users\[USERNAME]AppData\Roaming\TheBannerSaga\Local Store\save\saga1
    New [16-01, 17:33] LearningTheCurve: unwieldy but I just did it and haven't started my next one yet. you guys got me sweating like it wasn't gonna work

An option to keep the final save of a finished playthrough would be great, yeah

Yes please, especially since it looks like we might get our decisions from 1st chapter kick us in the butt in the 2nd one (hopefully? please? do kick us in the butt).