Thread: Is it possible to recruit a Dredge?

Is it possible to recruit a Dredge?

The scene at Godstone Ingrid made me wonder if this was possible. I mean, I highly doubt it, buuuut...maybe as a secret character or something?

I really wanna play with a Dredge, man.

same, maybe in Chapter 2 when it grows up, would be cool but if you got that option if you had that event occur.

Here's your event...

"Rook approaches the black sphere warily. Fallen Dredge lie everywhere. As he extends his hand to touch it, his will is drawn into it... Agony rushes over him as his vision blurs. Opening his eyes, he realizes that he's trapped in the body of a Dredge!".

So, you end up controlling a Dredge fighting against humans, possibly ones you know. What do you do? You kill those poor fleshies? You lose the fight in risk of harming yourself in that other parallel dimension?
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 01-16-2014 at 04:07 AM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Here's your event...

"Rook approaches the black sphere warily. Fallen Dredge lie everywhere. As he extends his hand to touch it, his will is drawn into it... Agony rushes over him as his vision blurs. Opening his eyes, he realizes that he's trapped in the body of a Dredge!".

So, you end up controlling a Dredge fighting against humans, possibly ones you know. What do you do? You kill those poor fleshies? You lose the fight in risk of harming yourself in that other parallel dimension?
    Well, as you see throughout the game, Humans and Varl alike are largely dicks. The Dredge aren't given a whole lot of characterization, but a few revelations near the end of the game puts a new light in things. IE, Humans and Varl are bigger dicks than first thought. If I were given the chance to lead a faction of Dredge, there would be no mercy for the fleshbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopikatsu View Post
    Well, as you see throughout the game, Humans and Varl alike are largely dicks. The Dredge aren't given a whole lot of characterization, but a few revelations near the end of the game puts a new light in things. IE, Humans and Varl are bigger dicks than first thought. If I were given the chance to lead a faction of Dredge, there would be no mercy for the fleshbags.
    Haha I see what you mean. The "grey shade" that covers most of the game (not black/white i.e. good/bad decisions) does not permeate into the "Dredge case". They are just bad meanies, like Orcs in LoTR... I'd like to learn more about them and I, also, felt it a little weak that only a little insight was given in 5-10 lines of text near the end.

Has anyone found if taking/leaving the dredge-ling does anything?

Beat the game 2x, both times took the dredge baby, both times it was on a minor hit to moral + a magic item; so as far as i can tell, it does nothing.

SPOILERS:
    According to the story as best I can piece together: (factual** from playing the story)**or at least as factual as "myth and legend" gets
    A) The Varl are genderless, while the all appear to be men, since they can't reproduce they have no gender. As such the Varl cannot reproduce now that the gods are dead, since it was a god that was personally making each and every single one of them.
    B) Humans existed before the Varl, since the varl were supposedly created by taking "man" and combining him with an animal. (man being assumed to be human)
    C) "Dwarves" exist(ed) somewhere
    D) Humans and Varl were constantly fighting each other until the gods created the Dredge, which posed a greated threat to both Humans and Varl so they banded together and pushed the Dredge to the north.
    E) Since the world consuming darkness started in the north, the Dredge are simply fleeing it. Considering their history with the Varl and Humans, it is no surprise that they start fighting each other. However, you should note that the first encounters with the dredge all occured with them seeking supplies: Stealing Yox from a farm, attacking supply carts for supplies, etc.

Conjecture: It wasn't until later, likely driven by desperation they they actually started all out attacking settlements. It also doesn't help that the humans and varl fear them and attack them on site, and given those circumstances building any kind of dialog is almost impossible.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if sometime in the next "Saga" Dredge, Humans, and Varl are "forced" to cooperate, as that seems to be the theme for how the races finally start getting along. So I would fully expect a Dredge unit or more, perhaps even their own story just about them.

Some more facts supporting the "Dredge case":
    (1) The first Alette+Rook battles is against a "starving dredge", the one that's packing a dead deer (oh dear!). So, they gotta eat!
    (2) Dredge are actually susceptible to the "bleeding" attack (Spearmaster). So, where there's blood, there's life. They ain't empty suits of armor!

I;m kinda wondering if Jorundr King of the Varl will keep his promise of breaking the aliance of Man and Varl and there will be even more chaos between the races

Also: looking forward to meeting Horseborn, and maybe other races? (I'm sure there's some kind of mer-man on the intro video when the mayor of Strand is talking)

Yeah, I didn't mention the "horseborn" which are likely centaur as there is only anecdotal mentions of people "might as well be horseborn" when they talk about travel distance, but never any mention of them being an actual race. It COULD just be a figure of speech.

But beyond Humans, Varl, Dredge, and Dwarves** there is no mention of any other races in a "matter of fact" kind of way.
    **I call them Dwarves, even though the story on the godstone doesn't actually call them dwarves outright, it just names all their characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by Xionanx View Post
    Yeah, I didn't mention the "horseborn" which are likely centaur as there is only anecdotal mentions of people "might as well be horseborn" when they talk about travel distance, but never any mention of them being an actual race. It COULD just be a figure of speech.

Ehh, admittedly I have not looked over the concept art, all my details are based solely on what I saw in the game.

very nice observations Xionanx

Quote Originally Posted by Xionanx View Post
    Ehh, admittedly I have not looked over the concept art, all my details are based solely on what I saw in the game.
    Then you should have looked more closely To the center of the extreme south of the map you find the Horseborn lands, with quite a few descriptions of them. There are even a couple of centaurs drawn down there.

The horseborn are also the plot tool used to take horses out of the equation. There's a map landmark called Fields of Slaughter down there where supposedly the horseborn brought all the horses and, enraged by mankind's treatment of something apparently related to them, killed them all (?!). Yeah I know, it's probably why they felt the need to hide it down there

In any case, I fully expect Horseborn to show up next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhorhe View Post
    Then you should have looked more closely To the center of the extreme south of the map you find the Horseborn lands, with quite a few descriptions of them. There are even a couple of centaurs drawn down there.

The horseborn are also the plot tool used to take horses out of the equation. There's a map landmark called Fields of Slaughter down there where supposedly the horseborn brought all the horses and, enraged by mankind's treatment of something apparently related to them, killed them all (?!). Yeah I know, it's probably why they felt the need to hide it down there

In any case, I fully expect Horseborn to show up next episode.
    at least they addressed the lack of horses, unlike MOST RPG games!

Where are these dwarfs mentioned?

Also,in this concept art varls look like troll:-s i dont feel so guilty ending the alliance with them no more...

Another interesting fact:

Dredge seem to come in different sizes. Scourges & Stoneguards are much larger that Grunts & Slingers (the Dredge females!). Not to mention Bellower, the Sundr... Is there a possibility that Dredge are some sort "dark-side" Humans & Varls?

Quote Originally Posted by Senta View Post
    at least they addressed the lack of horses, unlike MOST RPG games!
    Amen to that. Myth was one game where the complete and utter lack of horses bugged me horribly.. but there's really loads and loads of them out there.
    Support Stoic against Candy Crush owner filing opposition on basis of trademark on the word SAGA!
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/22/king-are-trying-to-candy-crush-the-banner-saga/

Quote Originally Posted by EmblaWinterblade View Post
    Where are these dwarfs mentioned?

Also,in this concept art varls look like troll:-s i dont feel so guilty ending the alliance with them no more...
    not sure where dwarves are mentioned. havent seen them in concept art either, afaik. i would rather not have dwarves in game. slow and tanky archetype already filled