Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Modding? Can we have it?

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The SWF files are not protected, they just have nothing on the main stage. Everything is in the SWF library. Have you tried using a decompiler like Sothink Decompiler?
    Hmmm, OK. As this doesn't seem to bother Stoic, I might as well offer my experience... I've successfully opened most SWFs using JPEXS Free Flash Decompiler. Sothink didn't work (well) for me.

EDIT -- I noticed that version 1.7.4 of JPEXS was able to open many more of the SWF files. Newer versions (2+) failed much more frequently.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-19-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Note
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

The SWF files are not protected, they just have nothing on the main stage. Everything is in the SWF library.
    Is there a swf library directory or are you referring to a master swf with all of the character's animations.
    IE: ""...\tbs\assets\common\character\axeman\axeman.an im.swf"?

Have you tried using a decompiler like Sothink Decompiler?
    I was going to add the Godscale item to the egil.portrait.swf as I have already updated the sprite sheet for battles. If I were to decompile it with sothink I get an error that the file is corrupted. *shrug*

I am just looking to update his tunic in the portrait animation and I would need to import the swf into an fla stage. I am reading up on Flash Pro cs6 and CC and it looks like they disabled this feature. I am going to try it in 5.5. It would make a lot of sense since as you said none of them are encrypted and the swfs I can preview in flash player aren't working when I import them into cs6.

The GUI swf I am trying to open in CS6: "...\tbs\assets\saga1\character\axeman\egil.portra it.swf"

That being said, the animations in-game are all sprite sheeted. The SWF is never loaded and is only there for reference.
    I figured the swf was only reference, but I was hoping that they could be opened via flash. I assumed that "egil.anim.swf" has his in-game animations. The name matches the Egil animation folder so I had fingers crossed that it would be a reference swf with all of the battle anims. Something that I could then import into flash and generate clean masks based on the vectors rather than a png sprite sheet in photoshop.

I will give it a try tonight. Worst case scenario I continue to generate the sprite sheet masks based on the png and I have to give up on updating the portrait in the Hero Menu.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: JPEX worked for me. I have only tested two so far but it is the only time I haven't gotten an error. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mierko; 01-21-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Mierko -- JPEXS was sometimes unable to load the SWF on first try, but retrying it (e.g. drag-and-dropping the SWF on the program's window once it opened) usually solved that. I think that, what John means with

The SWF files are not protected, they just have nothing on the main stage. Everything is in the SWF library.
    is that you can't "see" the SWF's animations/contents by opening them with a simple web browser. You need to open them with a dedicated SWF-handling software, and check the file's "library", where all the assets (frames, sprites, objects, instances etc.) are stored.

John -- Seeing no sprite-sheets in the Factions files, I assume the SWFs are used there. I wonder why did you go a different way with the two games, when it all seems to be the same art? Is it a security, stability or performance issue?

John <3 <3 <3

stealing and publishing his own Saga code since 2013

Aleonymous I got the error every time I used sothink, but JPEXS was error free. Everything is working fine now and I almost completed masking all of the Egil tunic symbols last night. I had somewhat clean versions I had made in photoshop, but there are a few sheets that are 80-90 frames and I held off on them.

With the .fla I am going to update the monster sprite sheets with the clean green key. I am going to have to update the sheets frame by frame since I don't know if John used a proprietary texture packer or just bought one of the common ones... If I knew I could just generate a sprite sheet from the updated .flas and be done.

So y'know.. it would be nice, but I am not going to complain if he isn't willing to share . How could I after all of the support he has given us so far! Seriously...
    John. Is. The. Man.

My plan so far is to update the Egil hero portrait with the Godscale tunic and then try to convince my buddy from work to help out on the engineering side to get it to autoswap to the new spritesheets/portrait when the item is equipped. Egil isn't even my favorite character, this is all just driven by curiosity. I figure if I have the art in hand he can't say no. Plus he was like an excited puppy when I brought up the idea of creating custom side quests (he was obsessed with The Organ Trail [the zombie version]). He hasn't even played TBS yet (he is going to buy it this weekend and lock himself in his apt). I figure if I can have some assets ready by monday he will find the time to take a look during the work week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mierko View Post
    John. Is. The. Man.
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Mierko View Post
    If I knew I could just generate a sprite sheet from the updated .flas and be done.
    Mierko, that would be my next question too. How could you "extract/print" the sprites on the sprite-sheet in such a manner so as to be identical to the old ones? Looking it that sheet: (1) There's no fixed "bounding-rectangle" for the sprites and (2) The sprites don't seem to be in any sort of logical order, i.e. column- or row-wise. How are you gonna tackle those problems? Manually replace frame-by-frame seems... ouch!

Batch-processing the PNG files, if you just wanted to re-color some garment (e.g. tunic or trousers) or hair, seems easier to do using bitmap image processing. Now, adding textured features (frame-by-frame) on the vector-sprites, and then exporting them... gl hf!

Mierko, that would be my next question too. How could you "extract/print" the sprites on the sprite-sheet in such a manner so as to be identical to the old ones?

No clue. I tried TexturePacker and it was a no-go. I gave up after that. I didn't want to spend the whole night fishing.

Looking it that sheet
    (1) There's no fixed "bounding-rectangle" for the sprites and
    (2) The sprites don't seem to be in any sort of logical order, i.e. column- or row-wise.
    (3) How are you gonna tackle those problems? Manually replace frame-by-frame seems... ouch!
    (4) Batch-processing the PNG files, if you just wanted to re-color some garment (e.g. tunic or trousers) or hair, seems easier to do using bitmap image processing. Now, adding textured features (frame-by-frame) on the vector-sprites, and then exporting them... gl hf!

1 - Nope, no bounding box on the textures.. *Shrug*

2 - Sprite/Atlas sheet generation really never have a logical order. You tend to get clumps of a few frames near one another and then the 'filler' frames that are scattered about.

3 - I manually replaced Egil's tunic with a green mask. Not for every sheet, as some of them were good to go when I keyed them in my original PSD. Luckily. All that said it really wasn't that bad.

You jam through a list of symbols, replacing the base colors with RGB/CMY consistently (took maybe 30m for Egil's Tunic?).
    Then (if using CS6) you can just export > sprite sheet (which if that was what John did I will kill myself, since I rolled back to 5.5 since CS6 was being an asshat when it came to swfs)

or

4 - In the case of single frame replacement, export > png image sequence. This worked really well as I just dumped them into a temp folder and dragged all of the key frames into the sprite sheet PSDs that I had started last week. It takes some time, but if you have a good sense of negative space and like puzzles it goes by really quickly. Keep in mind each layer you are dragging in has the frame number on it so at the worst you are looking at 70ish frames but you'll see a decent amount of holds for 3-4 frames.

Finally once I had the green key of the tunic applied to my sprite sheet PSD I did a Color Select > 200 Fuzziness of the green key and applied it as a mask layer to a layer filled with my chosen tunic color. Later I added a gradient to each layer of his tunic just to see if it had any major pops in the animation and overall the gradient held up quite nicely. Not that I am a fan of the look. I intend on doing just a plain palette swap to match the base color of the Godscale, which is close to the darker side of the gradient. This test was mostly to see if I could push it further to include highlights for the scales. We will see. I am hoping to give it a go tonight.

Super bonus points for John as apparently you don't even need to close TBS for the art to update. I had it running on a side monitor while I worked on the other two. I exited the training battle each time, but I am not sure if you even need to do that. I think as long as you are updating the source png you are good to go. Just be diligent about keeping a source folder with your psds and backup the original sprite sheets.

Final note: If you are going to do a palette swap of something like Rook's cloak you don't have to bother with much of anything apart from some Photoshop 'Select > Color Range'.Egil's Tunic was chosen because it was a color that was used throughout the character and if I was to key the color it would pull his shoes, straps and in some cases the sword pommel.

Below I attached an example of the key and blue gradient I was using to test for popping animation.

example.jpg

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #28
    Wow that is awesome. If John wasn't so busy fixing the DRM free version he'd be around more here and stuff

Come to think of it, wouldn't the standalone version/DRM free version be easier to mod as well?

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    Come to think of it, wouldn't the standalone version/DRM free version be easier to mod as well?
    Perhaps. But, from what I've seen in the game files and from what John shared with us here, I think Stoic's isn't making any effort whatsoever towards "locking up" (protecting) their content on the client-side. That's very positive for the modding community and, again, thanks for that, Stoic!

yeah, DRM wouldn't really make it harder per se.

great to see Stoic guys respond and try and help out the modding community!

Quote Originally Posted by raven2134 View Post
    1. If John wasn't so busy fixing the DRM free version he'd be around more here and stuff

2.Come to think of it, wouldn't the standalone version/DRM free version be easier to mod as well?

1. Totally understandable. He has been awesome with answering questions and it has made things so much easier.

2. From the art side of it I am not seeing where any differences would be. We have open access to all of the art and it updates the files instantly. You don't even have any caching issues.

Want to test a sprite sheet? Open the training tent and activate that skill/movement animation. Done.

Honestly I don't see how it could be any easier to change the art. I have already pulled keys for Egil's tunic and updated his portrait in the hero screen without any hiccups once I started using JPEXS to decompile the .swfs.

Honestly the only problem I have had with my testing is that (Story SPOILERS in white text ahead) canon-wise it really seems like you are supposed to bring Onef/Ekkill along and that means Egil isn't going to be in Part Two. (Same goes for the ending and Rook). So this is a great test in practice, but not really something that I can carry over. That said, the workflow is iron-clad in my opinion. Hell it could even be easier to key out art if we know the texture packing program.

Now on the programming side DRM/free could be a completely different story, but I am pretty clueless about that.

Mod ideas

Originally my plan was that when certain characters equip certain items that their portrait/sprites would change to reflect that change. Thus the Godscale on Egil. Super tank + Super armor item = palette swap!

I think a better route is to go with, character has reached Rank 5 = palette swap. This way nothing is item dependent, but in the case of Egil the art update can insinuate that he is wearing the Godscale.

Other ideas, but I have no idea how to do them:

Toggle grid visibility during or at least before a fight. This would be great when you are initially setting up for battle. Too often am I one space off from where I would like to be in order to line up my tanks. In the case of a low willpower hero that can really suck to waste on a movement exertion.

Get an icon for your ability damage when previewing your movement. It would work exactly as the damage icon pops up when you are in your movement phase. When you are in range of firing off Eyvind's Lightning it would pop up a little purple damage icon. Or in Alette's case a red and purple icon to show her normal attack and ability damage (when in range for both).

At this moment, I'd be more interested in accessing the Dialogue and all its assets. I know this goes to the "core" of the game (narration, branching story etc) but, hopefully, and if the game is well-structured, one could "plug-and-play" pieces of Dialogue here and there, without breaking the game.

So, what is "dialogue"? I see it as a connected series of "scenes" each one made up of:
    • Portraits (face & back) of the persons discussing at each scene of the dialogue. Those exist in the form of SWF files in the local data.
    • Back-plane of the environment where the scene takes place (e.g. forest, mead house, mountains etc). These are also found as PNG files.
    • Positions of portraits of speakers. This is one tricky part
    • Actual dialogue text and/or options. This should be found in the core game files.
    • Mini-icon/portrait to better distinguish speaker etc. That is also found in the form of PNG images.
    • Camera-panning-position and/or -shift, when moving to the next dialogue scene. This is another tricky part.

So, having the above "assets" as well as the "program" that puts them together & runs*** them, could help make our own dialogue scenes

***Battle is made in a similar manner, using as "assets" the map/floor, the tile-grid overlap, the unit-sprites, the stat-banners, the various UI & HUD items etc. Evidently, the "program" that runs the battle is MUCH more complicated a program than dialogue! Tweaking that one is, for me, out of the question. But, dialogue...?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    At this moment, I'd be more interested in accessing the Dialogue and all its assets. I know this goes to the "core" of the game (narration, branching story etc) but, hopefully, and if the game is well-structured, one could "plug-and-play" pieces of Dialogue here and there, without breaking the game.

So, what is "dialogue"? I see it as a connected series of "scenes" each one made up of:
    • Portraits (face & back) of the persons discussing at each scene of the dialogue. Those exist in the form of SWF files in the local data.
    • Back-plane of the environment where the scene takes place (e.g. forest, mead house, mountains etc). These are also found as PNG files.
    • Actual dialogue text and/or options. This should be found in the core game files.
    • Mini-icon/portrait to better distinguish speaker etc. That is also found in the form of PNG images.
    • Camera-panning-position and/or -shift, when moving to the next dialogue scene. This is another tricky part.

So, having the above "assets" as well as the "program" that puts them together & runs*** them, could help make our own dialogue scenes

***Battle is made in a similar manner, using as "assets" the map/floor, the tile-grid overlap, the unit-sprites, the stat-banners, the various UI & HUD items etc. Evidently, the "program" that runs the battle is MUCH more complicated a program than dialogue! Tweaking that one is, for me, out of the question. But, dialogue...?
    I have built a simple editor that allows you to open, edit, and save any "*.json.z" file. I've poked around the various bits, and I haven't quite figured out how exactly the scenes work. I think I have an idea, but it winds up being a pretty complicated thing to edit when you're just using that simple JSON editor (because you have to manually hunt in various files for things to change - no "search" or "link to" functionality). I'm thinking about uploading it somewhere, but I'm also thinking about working on a more advanced editor of some kind. Also, I haven't tested what happens in the game (if anything) when you actually edit those files - though I gather that they are the actual files loaded by the game. Also, the editor doesn't allow you at this time to add new properties, so you can really only edit what's already there.

If there's interest, I might upload the editor somewhere "as-is". But I spent most of my free time yesterday working on it (and learning Flex/AS3), so I may not be able to do that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbone78 View Post
    I have built a simple editor that allows you to open, edit, and save any "*.json.z" file. I've poked around the various bits, and I haven't quite figured out how exactly the scenes work. I think I have an idea, but it winds up being a pretty complicated thing to edit when you're just using that simple JSON editor (because you have to manually hunt in various files for things to change - no "search" or "link to" functionality). I'm thinking about uploading it somewhere, but I'm also thinking about working on a more advanced editor of some kind. Also, I haven't tested what happens in the game (if anything) when you actually edit those files - though I gather that they are the actual files loaded by the game. Also, the editor doesn't allow you at this time to add new properties, so you can really only edit what's already there.

If there's interest, I might upload the editor somewhere "as-is". But I spent most of my free time yesterday working on it (and learning Flex/AS3), so I may not be able to do that soon.
    Interesting progress, Jawbone. I'd like to get my paws on that editor! Do you think that it will be usable by an amateur (without access to fancy software) such as myself?

Concerning how dialogue & scenes work, I guess some input from John would be really appreciated here... So, these .JSON.Z files, are like Java-scripts/programs that call-up this-and-that? I fear that a lot of delving will have to be done, unless there is some master script that "rules them all"

15.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #35
    Mierko -- JPEXS was sometimes unable to load the SWF on first try, but retrying it (e.g. drag-and-dropping the SWF on the program's window once it opened) usually solved that. I think that, what John means with

is that you can't "see" the SWF's animations/contents by opening them with a simple web browser. You need to open them with a dedicated SWF-handling software, and check the file's "library", where all the assets (frames, sprites, objects, instances etc.) are stored.

John -- Seeing no sprite-sheets in the Factions files, I assume the SWFs are used there. I wonder why did you go a different way with the two games, when it all seems to be the same art? Is it a security, stability or performance issue?
    The Factions engine is almost a year old at this point -- lots of things are different. In Factions it generates the sprite sheets in memory on the fly when you load a battle map. In Saga we pre-generate them as part of the compile process (to improve load times).

Regarding the 'Library' in the SWF. There are a bunch of MovieClip classes that are exported by name for loading in AS3. They are seen at the right of the screenshot attached. The main stage of the SWF is empty. In the FLA you see the main stage layers are both flagged as 'guides' and are not included in the published SWF.

Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 3.41.52 PM.jpg

Interesting progress, Jawbone. I'd like to get my paws on that editor! Do you think that it will be usable by an amateur (without access to fancy software) such as myself?

Concerning how dialogue & scenes work, I guess some input from John would be really appreciated here... So, these .JSON.Z files, are like Java-scripts/programs that call-up this-and-that? I fear that a lot of delving will have to be done, unless there is some master script that "rules them all"
    JSON is "JavaScript Object Notation". It's just a fancy way of saying "data". They aren't programs - they're more like the data that the programs run off of. For example, a (very) stripped down representation of Gunnulf:

Code:
    {
        "entityClass": "warhawk",
        "id": "gunnulf",
        "stats": [
            0: {
                "stat": "STRENGTH",
                "value": 15
            },
            1: {
                "stat": "ARMOR",
                "value": 7
            },   

etc...

]
    }
    Theoretically I could use my editor to change all kinds of things about him - his starting stats, his min/max stats, etc. Again, I haven't actually tested what would happen if I edited any of those values.

As for conversations, in assets/saga1/convo/ there are a bunch of what appear to be conversations. Open part1/cnv_chat_meadfight.json.z and you see:

Code:
    {
        "title": "1 chat meadfight",
        "url_key": "wbv2",
        "data": {
            "initial": "skipMarknarrator",
            "stitches": {
                "eirikNarratorCan": {
                    "content": [
                        0: "[eirik narrator] Can I ask one more favor?",
                        1: { 
                            "ifConditions": ,
                            "linkPath": "eirikAlrightThen", 
                            "notIfConditions": , 
                            "option": "No, Eirik, I've done enough already" 
                        },
                        2: { 
                            "ifConditions": ,
                            "linkPath": "eirikIfYouHappen", 
                            "notIfConditions": , 
                            "option": "What is it?" 
                        }
                    ]
                },
                "eirikAlrightThen": {
                        0: "[eirik] Alright then, do as you please. Time to go, Valgard.",
                        1: { "divert": "eirikHaveYoulGue" },
                        2: { "flagName": "1 eirikdissed" },
                        3: { "ifCondition": "1 strandmeadfight" }
                    ]
                },
                "eirikIfYouHappen": {
                        0: "[eirik] If you happened to stall our guests down on the docks, I wouldn't object.",
                        1: { "divert": "narratorMaybeIWi" },
                        2: { "flagName": "1 eirikdissed=0" }
                    ]
                },

etc...

}
        }
    Each "stitch" appears to be a single line in a conversation, and they're strung (or stitched?) together by following one to the other. I haven't made sense yet of how the ifConditions and flagNames work (though it's obvious what they're for), because a lot of this stuff is spread out among multiple files and right now I can really only look at one at a time.

17.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #37

All the conversation dialog (and poppenings dialog in the red window) is driven by a branching story format exported from InkleWriter:

https://writer.inklestudios.com/

For example look at the contents of assets/saga1/convo/part1/cnv_chat_bersi1.json

At the bottom of the json file you see a "url_key", in this case:

Code:
    	"title": "1 chat bersi1",
    	"updated_at": "2013-10-07T22:29:31Z",
    	"url_key": "3m5v"
    To view that story in Inkle, put the url_key into this url as follows:

https://writer.inklestudios.com/stories/3m5v

When you are finished with your Inkle story, you can get the .json data by adding .json to the url like this:

https://writer.inklestudios.com/stories/3m5v.json

There are lots of tags and markup used in the Inkle story that are specific to TBS. For instance the speaker is indicated in square brackets:

"[Bersi] I robbed well-protected merchants..."

Means Bersi is talking, and we are looking at him.

"[Bersi hakon] Assume I'm looking out for myself a..."

Means Bersi is talking but the camera is looking at hakon

18.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #38
    The overall logic of the game flow is driven by 'Actions', 'Happenings', 'Triggers', and 'Variables'. You can think of these as a sort of high level scripting language.

Happenings are found in the 'saga1.json' file. These contain the global happenings and triggers that function game-wide.

Happenings are also found in scene files, and those happenings typically only have meaning in the context of the scene.

For example, here is an abridged version of the 'bk_1_start' happening in saga1.json which starts the game from the beginning:

Code:
    		{
    			"actions": [
    				{
    					"id": "narratorcaravan",
    					"type": "CARAVAN"
    				},
    				{
    					"type": "VARIABLE_SET",
    					"varname": "camp_music_suppressed",
    					"varvalue": 1
    				},
    				{
    					"time": 40,
    					"type": "FLASH_PAGE",
    					"url": "saga_titles.swf/assets.text_page_startup"
    				},
    				{
    					"subtitle": "common/locale/en/tutorial_intro_video1.sbv.z",
    					"type": "VIDEO",
    					"url": "common/video/tutorial_intro_video1.mp4"
    				},
    				{
    					"type": "PARTY_CLEAR"
    				},
    				{
    					"also_party": true,
    					"id": "shieldbanger_tut",
    					"type": "ROSTER_ADD"
    				},
    				{
    					"also_party": true,
    					"id": "warhawk_tut",
    					"type": "ROSTER_ADD"
    				},
    				{
    					"assemble_heroes": false,
    					"restore_scene": false,
    					"scene": "saga1/scene/part1/btl_tut_greathall/btl_tut_greathall.json.z",
    					"type": "BATTLE"
    				},
    				{
    					"id": "shieldbanger_tut",
    					"type": "ROSTER_REMOVE"
    				},
    				{
    					"id": "warhawk_tut",
    					"type": "ROSTER_REMOVE"
    				},
    				{
    					"subtitle": "common/locale/en/tutorial_intro_video2.sbv.z",
    					"type": "VIDEO",
    					"url": "common/video/tutorial_intro_video2.mp4"
    				},
    				{
    					"happening": "bk_1_strand",
    					"prereqs": [
    						{
    							"varname": "fa2013",
    							"varvalue": 0
    						}
    					],
    					"type": "HAPPENING"
    				}
    			],
    			"id": "bk_1_start"
    		},
    In english, what is happening is this:

- Set the active caravan to 'narratorcaravan' defined elsewhere
    - suppress the random camp music
    - show a flash movieclip for 40 seconds
    - show a mp4 video until complete
    - clear the party
    - add the tutorial shieldbanger and warhawk to the party
    - load a battle scene until complete
    - remove the tutorial units from the roster (and party)
    - play another mp4 video until complete
    - execute another happening, called 'bk_1_strand'

John... Thank you kind sir! It's so awesome to see how a game is made, bottom-up!

I'm gonna need time to digest all this new information.

@ John:
    Is there any chance you would be willing to share how you exported your sprite sheets? I have had some time today to do some test exports with flash and Texture Packer but I haven't been able to match with either.

Adding masks to most cycles are quite easy but then there are beast sheets like a death animation... I cringe at the thought of matching it frame by frame.

@ Jawbone:
    Hook us up with that editor!

I have updated the hero portrait swf for Egil and it isn't showing up in the Roster screen. The dialogue png worked fine (rear view), but the portrait swf isn't working for the front view and the roster screen.

I will update the portrait swf and test it in the roster and dialogue sequence after work tonight.

What you laid out and John expanded upon is awesome news. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by Mierko; 01-31-2014 at 02:09 AM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast