Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Modding? Can we have it?

hi if you want extract *.fsb file use fsb extractor ( https://aezay.site11.com/aezay/fsbextractor/ ) or FSB files extractor 0.3.2a ( https://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm#fsbext )

hi, i figure out how uncompress json.z files, but now i encounter a 2nd problem, parsing are not good, any advise ?

Unable to rebuild portrait SWFs
    I am able to view the new portrait SWF just fine outside of the game, but once I replace it in the folder Egil is missing from the dialogue and roster screens. The symbols of the library have only had their fill color swapped and it is unchanged apart from the egil png, but I renamed my file to match the original from the library and it replaces it.

I assume that I have to reattach the action scripts to the updated FLA. The original SWF is 331kb and the recolor is only 111kb, so it only makes sense. I don't know how to reattach the actionscript since I don't really know much about flash let alone AS3. I am a 3D artist so this is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

I will do some research into it tomorrow. I assume that I would just make an 'Actions' Layer and link all the actionScripts to frame 1, but that is just a guess. If anyone with Flash experience can chime in it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #44
    It looks like the contents are decompressed but not demarshalled from the packed as3 representation.

Check out my post here:

https://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post27056

Quote Originally Posted by livetele View Post
    hi, i figure out how uncompress json.z files, but now i encounter a 2nd problem, parsing are not good, any advise ?

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #45
    The AS3 in the portraits is very minimal, and auto-generated. There should be no AS3 on the timelines.

The important thing is that the library symbol to be rendered in-game must be exported as a class called "portrait" which derives from MovieClip. This may be getting stripped out in your processing.
    Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 11.06.39 AM.jpg
    The attached screenshot shows how it is setup in Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mierko View Post
    Unable to rebuild portrait SWFs
    I am able to view the new portrait SWF just fine outside of the game, but once I replace it in the folder Egil is missing from the dialogue and roster screens. The symbols of the library have only had their fill color swapped and it is unchanged apart from the egil png, but I renamed my file to match the original from the library and it replaces it.

I assume that I have to reattach the action scripts to the updated FLA. The original SWF is 331kb and the recolor is only 111kb, so it only makes sense. I don't know how to reattach the actionscript since I don't really know much about flash let alone AS3. I am a 3D artist so this is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

I will do some research into it tomorrow. I assume that I would just make an 'Actions' Layer and link all the actionScripts to frame 1, but that is just a guess. If anyone with Flash experience can chime in it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The AS3 in the portraits is very minimal, and auto-generated. There should be no AS3 on the timelines.

The important thing is that the library symbol to be rendered in-game must be exported as a class called "portrait" which derives from MovieClip. This may be getting stripped out in your processing.
    Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 11.06.39 AM.jpg
    The attached screenshot shows how it is setup in Flash.
    I double checked it and the class is unchanged, but the base class is blank. I have tried resetting it to "flash.display.MovieClip", leaving it blank and changing it to "portrait" to match the class and in all three cases it still doesn't load in game. Really odd. I am sure I am missing something obvious. I will try again either tomorrow or Sunday.

Any chance you could tell me how you generated the animation sprite sheets? I have tried Texture Packer and Flash itself but neither match the sheets in game. Thanks!

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #47
    The sprite sheets are generated with custom code... and it is too much code to paste in any meaningful way. I am working on prepping some of our tools so that they can be used externally, which will allow you to compile and test sprite sheet animations. I don't know when that will be ready, though.

I double checked it and the class is unchanged, but the base class is blank. I have tried resetting it to "flash.display.MovieClip", leaving it blank and changing it to "portrait" to match the class and in all three cases it still doesn't load in game. Really odd. I am sure I am missing something obvious. I will try again either tomorrow or Sunday.

Any chance you could tell me how you generated the animation sprite sheets? I have tried Texture Packer and Flash itself but neither match the sheets in game. Thanks!

I am working on prepping some of our tools so that they can be used externally, which will allow you to compile and test sprite sheet animations. I don't know when that will be ready, though.
    That is fantastic news, John!

I do hope those "tools" will be handle-able by rank-1 users (i.e., of low tech skill, like myself), and will not demand that $oftware ...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

The sprite sheets are generated with custom code... and it is too much code to paste in any meaningful way. I am working on prepping some of our tools so that they can be used externally, which will allow you to compile and test sprite sheet animations. I don't know when that will be ready, though.
    Wow, that would be amazing! We all know how busy you guys have been so it is incredible that you have any time to support tools for the community. I had a feeling it that your sprite sheets were generated by your own code.

This is wonderful news thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Mierko; 02-01-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Mierko > perphas you can use this for help to understand : https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/swfinvestigator.html
    John > "not demarshalled from the packed as3 representation" So complexe ( i am not big fan of as3 ), any other solution ?

It looks like the contents are decompressed but not demarshalled from the packed as3 representation.

Check out my post here:

https://stoicstudio.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post27056
    Can you give us a little tutorial or something, how can we use that code to decompile the json files?

12.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #52
    Quote Originally Posted by cleerxer View Post
    Can you give us a little tutorial or something, how can we use that code to decompile the json files?
    I've written an app that allows you to open and edit the compressed json files. It's called "TBS Decompiler". The install file is here: https://github.com/jwatson000/tbsdec...Decompiler.air

When you launch the app, it will automatically look in the default locations for your Steam TBS install. If it can't find your TBS install, it will ask you to locate it's assets folder.

Whenever you first save a modified file, the tool will save a "*.orig" copy of the unmodified file. You can copy these back over the modified files if you want. You can also open the "*.orig" files in the tool, and hit "Save" to restore the original file.

The source code is on github if anyone would like to inspect, modify, or contribute:

https://github.com/jwatson000/tbsdec

I've written an app that allows you to open and edit the compressed json files. It's called "TBS Decompiler".
    Wiztastic Thanks a million John!

So, if I get this right all those JSON files are mostly data, like "text registers". Arg... Pointers within pointers within pointers... That's were it all boils down in game design, it seems! I was wondering if we could tweak the core combat-mechanics through editing those files, e.g. how Battering Ram or miss-chance works. I presume that's much more complicated, so there's other type of code/files/binaries for that.

Interestingly, seems like all your localization data is stored in one big file, at: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\tbs\assets\common\l ocale\en\en.json.z. That file holds descriptions of items, map locations, tool-tip info and so an and so forth. That makes it so much easier for user-based translations. The file is about 7,800 lines long containing about 1,500 entries that would require translation, right? And that excludes the actual dialogue lines...

14.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Wiztastic Thanks a million John!

So, if I get this right all those JSON files are mostly data, like "text registers". Arg... Pointers within pointers within pointers... That's were it all boils down in game design, it seems! I was wondering if we could tweak the core combat-mechanics through editing those files, e.g. how Battering Ram or miss-chance works. I presume that's much more complicated, so there's other type of code/files/binaries for that.

Interestingly, seems like all your localization data is stored in one big file, at: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\tbs\assets\common\l ocale\en\en.json.z. That file holds descriptions of items, map locations, tool-tip info and so an and so forth. That makes it so much easier for user-based translations. The file is about 7,800 lines long containing about 1,500 entries that would require translation, right? And that excludes the actual dialogue lines...
    Yes, all strings are stored in en.json. I'm modifying that arrangement a bit though, before sending it off to be translated. en.json plus the dialog lines comes to about 100,000 words of text.

If you want to modify the abilities, you can do so in the various ability json files, e.g. abl_batteringram.json.z

However it is data driven so you can only tweak parameters or add new operations that are defined in code. The ability system is quite robust, but the ability json files might be a little confusing without documentation.

As Aleo said, thanks a lot John. It is fantastic, I have already learned lot about game just by browsing the files. It is very useful for wiki too .

If you want to modify the abilities, you can do so in the various ability json files, e.g. abl_batteringram.json.z

However it is data driven so you can only tweak parameters or add new operations that are defined in code. The ability system is quite robust, but the ability json files might be a little confusing without documentation.
    A quick browsing through the files gives the impression that all ability-things are all neatly tidied-up and structured; I expected nothing less! A lot of the code seems like it's aimed for synchronizing the sprites and other audiovisual elements related to the abilities. So, I daresay that "simple" modifications (like adjusting BoP range or HI echo damage etc.) would be quite easy to put. What I found to be most troublesome (when working on that crude TBSF-simulator/AI project) was, actually, anything related to positioning and movement!So, Knock-back, Battering-Ram, Arc-Lightning & Tempest should have been the trickiest to implement...

Anyway, thanks again for the support, John. Hope our fiddling with these files proves somehow beneficial for you guys too! (you never know ).

Kudos John. This is awesome!

So custom items in the shop are available if we did something along the lines of...

"icon": "common/item/icon/itm_custom.png",
    "id": "itm_custom",
    "rank": X,
    "statmods": [
    {
    "amount": X,
    "stat": "STAT_NAME"
    },
    {
    }
    ]
    },
    {

Awesome. Thank you very mush.

19.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #59
    Yep, adding or modifyig items should be very easy.

Kudos John. This is awesome!

So custom items in the shop are available if we did something along the lines of...

"icon": "common/item/icon/itm_custom.png",
    "id": "itm_custom",
    "rank": X,
    "statmods": [
    {
    },
    {
    }
    ]
    },
    {

Dear John,

I'm a huge fan of your game and I'm a hungarian hobby game translator, so I'd like to make a localization for The Banner Saga too.
    Thank you very much for your app, it's working perfectly, but I have some problem with the files...
    I can't find the files what contain the texts for the intro: "The gods are dead..." and the subtitle "It has been several long months on the road...".
    Thank you if you can help me!

Best regards,
    Teomus

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast