Thread: War. (What is it good for?)

War. (What is it good for?)

Hi everyone,

I'm loving the game! I just want to ask if anyone could explain the war mechanics to me?

The options are 'Charge, Formations, Hold the Line, Retreat, and Oversee'.

As an experiment to find out what it did, I tried Oversee once and lost over 300 Varl and got Game Over! When I loaded to the check point and retried the same war, I went with 'Formations' and I only lost something like 13 Varl and a handful of fighters.... ! lol

It seems silly to have such a drastic swing in losses from one choice to the next. From what I've seen, Charge is a slightly harder battle than Formations, but perhaps Formations leads to lower casualties? I won't be trying oversee again unless I really do not want to retreat and my whole party is injured!

Does anyone have a further insight into this area of the game?

Thanks

I haven't done enough testing to really figure it out but my initial impression is the options are different levels of involvement in the fight. From what I've seen the amount of enemy you face in a given war scenario can vary and depending on your travel choices your army can obviously vary. It looks like if you Oversee, you are rolling the dice and letting the two sides go at it. It's a cop-out of a tactical fight at the cost of a lot of your army. On the other hand if you Charge you have the hardest tactical fight, but the least number of casualties. It also seems that if your army outmatches theirs you have a somewhat easier tactical fight too for each of your choices. My early impression is that Formations seems a good balance of saving fighters and easing the tactical fight. I haven't tested to see if any given order has a different impact on different war scenarios.

*Charge: You face more enemies = your allies have an easier time

*Formations: you keep it balanced between who you fight and who your allies fight

*Hold the line: You face little enemies and have an easy fight, your allies a harder one!

*Oversee: You don't participate on the fight: because of you not fighting the chances of wining are very mathematical considering amount of troops you have +morale and what not, there is a huge chance of suffering huge casualties (i recommend it only if your heroes are all injured)

*Run for it: Try to avoid combat altogether, might work/might not.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

Here's my reading (actually almost identical to Yellow's):

1. Charge -- This gives you a hard-to-win battle (more enemies ==> more renown, if you win!), but your caravan suffers minor casualties.
    2. Formations -- This gives you a normal battle and your caravan suffers normal casualties.
    3. Hold 'em off -- This gives you an easy-to-win battle (a few enemies) but you caravan suffer big casualties.
    4. Retreat -- No battle takes place and your caravan suffers massive casualties.
    5. Oversee -- Battle takes place but you don't play it. The game decides whether you win or lose depending on...? (on hard, you almost always lose here).

Concerning casualties vs. win/defeat -- I am not sure how a loss on Charge! relates to a win on Formations (or Hold'em). I always pick Charge!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Ok, thanks for the replies - I think you guys are probably correct.

It does seem strange to me that for a tactical game, the best option for a war is usually to just charge in! I would have thought a measured approach would save lives more often than not. Charge shouldn't be the default best decision unless you have injured party members imo...

Has anyone figured out how the bonus item works? On my first playthrough (on normal) it seemed no matter what option I chose (which was only charge and formations) I always would receive an item if I won the second battle. However, on Hard, it seems like that is not the case. Is it dependent on difficulty or something else?

I'm playing on normal and I've won a number of cleanup battles, where it says I can stay and fight to maybe get some loot. However I've never got a single item from it. Maybe it's true the gods are dead so the rng god can't help me?

Just luck, I guess. In 4 or 5 won cleanup battles, I got two Rank 5 Items, sadly the same one.

The only item I ever got from war cleanup (successfully did all of them in Ch. 3) was the Rank 1 +1 Armor item (don't remember what it's called).

yup, my record is something like 2 items on maybe 10+ mop up battles?

Charge!!!

Your a Viking

Mopped up the majority of my battles (mostly normal, few hard) - still waiting for my extra item

Quote Originally Posted by loveboof View Post
    It does seem strange to me that for a tactical game, the best option for a war is usually to just charge in! I would have thought a measured approach would save lives more often than not. Charge shouldn't be the default best decision unless you have injured party members imo...
    I agree with you, loveboof. I find it strange too. I would attribute this to the admittedly weak role that the caravan-population plays on the game. I mean, there's no real incentive to not-risk-their-lives (keep them alive, that is), so you just go for the hard battle that will give you more renown (promotions, items etc), right?. Also, as the game doesn't "end" if you lose a battle, you're not really afraid of losing, so you go for it anyway. Caravan population should play a more important role.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    Has anyone figured out how the bonus item works?
    I think it's luck. Taking (and winning) the 2nd wave in the War-battles gives you a chance to find a magic item. Now, the drop-probability (and the rank of the item) is a question that can be replied only by John (or an extended statistical analysis). From what people report in this thread, I'd say a 25%, with the item-rank being kinda independent of Chapter and character-ranks...

Come to think about it, it would nice if the item to be found was worn by one of the enemies, effectively making him/her the "mini-boss" of the battle
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCheeba View Post
    Charge!!!

Your a Viking
    lol. I always will from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    I agree with you, loveboof. I find it strange too. I would attribute this to the admittedly weak role that the caravan-population plays on the game. I mean, there's no real incentive to not-risk-their-lives (keep them alive, that is), so you just go for the hard battle that will give you more renown (promotions, items etc), right?. Also, as the game doesn't "end" if you lose a battle, you're not really afraid of losing, so you go for it anyway. Caravan population should play a more important role.
    Yes exactly! Hopefully they will work on this aspect of the game for the next chapter.