Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do not peek in here. Big spoilers! The effect of choices in your Saga.

Anybody know if you can kill Onef in Chapter 2 (going after the supply cart) and still get Ekkil in Chapter 4? Or if you kill Onef in 4 when he comes to try and join your caravan, will Ekkil not show up? I want Egil to survive, and don't want that bastard Onef to mutiny like my first playthrough, but I found Ekkil to be pretty great to have around. He was certainly more useful to me than those Thrasher Bros.

If you confront (and choose to fight) or ambush the food cart at the end of Chapter 2 will kill Onef. But if Onef is dead, he won't be around to tell you where the supply house is. And unless your wipe it out clean, Ekkill won't follow you.

Unfortunately, that means you MUST have Onef to obtain Ekkill. And Onef will mutiny on you in Chapter 6. (Although, if you fail at a battle, there's a chance that a character is permadeath. You might be able to off Onef before Chapter 6 in that way. Haven't tried it yet.)

To keep Egil alive, you must have killed Onef, ignore him when he suggests to raid the storehouse OR stay outside the city. (Staying outside the city is the best choice to take as you can have 3 encounters with dredge to obtain enough renown to purchase supplies to cross the waste plus a lv 5 item).

I'm just about finished my second playthrough, and I'm having an issue with keeping Krumr from dying in a scripted event. On the first day in the last city, you have a choice of doing several things: finding supplies, finding shelter, help defend the walls, etc. I chose to defend the walls because any time you have an option to enter battle, you should, for the renown gain. The problem is, before the battle starts, there is another choice about how to approach the battle: ambush them, defend the caravan, alert the ravens, or hold them at the gates.

On my first playthrough I chose to ambush them, and it led to Krumr standing in front of the gates and dying in a scripted event right before the battle begins. On my second playthrough, I chose another option, but the same thing occured. I reloaded the game several times to try all 4 options, and every time, Krumr dies before the battle starts. Did this happen for everyone else?

I think it might have to do with how many fighters and varl you have. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that if you don't have enough fighting forces on hand, Krumr won't make it.

It might also have to do with whether the Dredge breach the walls. Krumr died on me, too, but it wasn't until the third day or so, after the Dredge broke into the city and I had to drive them out again.

That's probably it then. In my second playthrough I didn't try to preserve my caravan at all. I didn't ever buy supplies ever, spending all my renown on items and level ups instead. So far, Krumr dying is the only drawback I found to playing this way.

And after I reloaded a few more times, even if I pick any other option other than "help iver defend the walls", whether it is to find shelter, supplies, or just rest, the same thing happens. The next day, the dredge come to the wall, and Krumr dies. I wonder what the cutoff is though, because on my first playthrough I thought I did a pretty good job of keeping a healthy caravan, and I still lost Krumr.

@Gatesleeper & Lightshear -- Strange... I've played that part of the game 2-3 times, always with Krumr in my caravan when first entering Boersgard. I always picked the "Help Iver" option and I think this kept Krumr alive. No such scripted death events I do recall that there was some option like "Let Krumr handle it", that I never took; perhaps this is the option that might lead to his demise?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    @Gatesleeper & Lightshear -- Strange... I've played that part of the game 2-3 times, always with Krumr in my caravan when first entering Boersgard. I always picked the "Help Iver" option and I think this kept Krumr alive. No such scripted death events I do recall that there was some option like "Let Krumr handle it", that I never took; perhaps this is the option that might lead to his demise?
    It happened in my first playthrough. I did not pick let Krumr handle it. But I have tested that you can skip I think the first days of helping iver without it happening. I think I skipped it the first 3 days in my first playthrough and then it happened. And yeah it happened because the dredge managed to breach the wall.

I hope this guide continues into further chapters, because I'm getting really frustrated. I'm trying to do a high morale/no starvation run (because you can't do the one without the other) and simultaneously trying to keep Egil alive, and I'm starting to think it's impossible to do all three.

You start Chapter 4 in Frostvellr with three days of food. If you don't take on Onef (or kill him in Chapter 2, as I did), you don't get his extra supplies. Without those, I bought literally the entire stock of Frostvellr's supplies at the crummy 1:1 rate, which was barely enough food to make it to the next town (while having no choice but to rest some to keep morale from going low). I've bought virtually all the supply at every other town, hardly upgrading any of my characters at all, and buying zero items, and I still run out of food just past the Godstone Ingrid (where you get the Dredge baby).

My problem is starting in such a damn supply-hole out of Frostvellr. While having to rest enough to keep morale up, and being forced to blow all my renown on food - how is it I still can't have enough to make it? I could go back and skip some side things like Haukstorp, but if I do that then A) I won't have enough renown to keep buying the supply I need and B) the non-combat resting events have been what keeps my morale from hitting low.

So, yeah... getting a sense of how many days there are between towns, what events get what renown, and so being able to make a real plan would be super helpful.

Lightsear -- Some of the "random" events that you come across the journey can give you a small morale boost at virtually no-cost (e.g. you just need to choose the right answer). But, in the end of the day, it would just save you some (2-3-5-10?) supply/days... Seems like Egil gotta be sacrificed for the welfare of the caravan!

The thing about trying to stay well supplied is that the more you succeed, the harder it becomes. As your caravan gains members through events, you need more and more supply to keep them fed. With the game in its current state, it's probably impossible to always stay above zero supply and not lose any caravan members ever, even if you completely disregard buying items or leveling your characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatesleeper View Post
    The thing about trying to stay well supplied is that the more you succeed, the harder it becomes. As your caravan gains members through events, you need more and more supply to keep them fed. With the game in its current state, it's probably impossible to always stay above zero supply and not lose any caravan members ever, even if you completely disregard buying items or leveling your characters.
    It's not impossible, there's even a Steam achievement for completing the game without anybody starving. Some advice on how to accomplish that:

1) Clansmen are not really requred in the game at all, unlike fighters and varl, so try to avoid adding more of them to your caravan.
    2) Don't spend renown on items at all: godstones, quests and second-wave battles provide plenty.
    3) Don't rest, unless absolutely necessary. Note that some in-game actions add +1 day automatically, so keep an eye on your supplies at all times.
    4) Buy cheap - 1 renown for 1 supply is not cool, aim for at least a 1:3 ratio.
    5) In case your caravan still starves at some point, reload - you might get a random encounter that will provide enough supplies to last till next market.
    6) Don't level up your heroes at the first occasion at mid-high levels. Some heroes (most of them, actually) don't get much profit from getting to level 5 at all, and it costs a ton of renown.
    7) Fight every battle you can with Charge, except for those that plot-kill your party members, and try to always fight the second wave.

I'm trying to do a high morale/no starvation run
    That's rather unwise, to say the least, since high morale requires constant resting, which is inversely correlated with supply. Wouldn't it be better to make a no starving/
    Forced March run, since those two achievements are in sinergy?
    Last edited by Sin2x; 02-07-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin2x View Post
    That's rather unwise, to say the least, since high morale requires constant resting, which is inversely correlated with supply. Wouldn't it be better to make a no starving/
    Forced March run, since those two achievements are in sinergy?
    It seems to me that maintaining high morale would be impossible without also maintaining constant supply. As soon as food runs out, people die, morale tanks, and you're done. Forced March and Morale are definitely at odds, but wouldn't you HAVE to keep supply up to keep morale up?

Forced March and Morale are definitely at odds, but wouldn't you HAVE to keep supply up to keep morale up?
    Morale drops with time even if the caravan is well-fed, and the amount of supply you can buy is rather limited, so it would be a daunting task, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin2x View Post
    Morale drops with time even if the caravan is well-fed, and the amount of supply you can buy is rather limited, so it would be a daunting task, I think.
    Daunting, certainly, but preventing low morale without maintaining supply would seem impossible, no?

Daunting, certainly, but preventing low morale without maintaining supply would seem impossible, no?
    That's why I think that this achievement requires a separate playthrough. If you go for both high morale and constant positive supply, you won't have enough renown for anything else, even if you fight every battle.

Heya, I do not wish to Necro the thread but.

During the journey to frostverl, is it a bad idea to purchase renown? Does it still reset after you do chapter 3 and are kicked out of frostvrl? I am asking cause I am currently on a hard playthrought + forced march run and I want to see wether it's a good or bad idea to spend my renown on food that will disappear.

I was inspired by the OP to go ahead and complete the guide he started, I pulled my info from the game files so I was also able to correct some of his mistakes. Check it out here:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=698507714
    Faith is the Darkness to Reason's Light

Finally finished my guide for TBS2 if anyone is still interested in "Every Decision and Consequence"
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=699654894
    Faith is the Darkness to Reason's Light

Quote Originally Posted by Drake713 View Post
    Finally finished my guide for TBS2 if anyone is still interested in "Every Decision and Consequence"
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=699654894
    Sweet stuff! It will prove extremely useful in my ongoing (slow) playthrough and in updating the wiki Thanks again for the guide.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3