Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Info on the new units found in Saga

Info on the new units found in Saga

I'm surprised that the fervor for knowing what classes are to come into factions hasn't gotten on this earlier. We now have a Grudgewielder, a Male Mender, the Hunter (overpowered), Spearman, the Sharpshooter, and the warden in Saga. Naturally it's possible (looking at you Rook) that some elements won't carry into the multiplayer, but it's worth discussing!

Male Mender:
    Passive(still active): Mend- repairs armor up to half of current will, range 5?
    Active: Lightning bolt- Deals 2+will Str damage to main target ignoring armor, chains to units diagonally adjacent for additional damage.

Grudgewielder: didn't take him

Warden:
    Passive: walk through allies
    Active: grant 2+ willpower to another unit, range 5?

Spearman:
    Passive:
    Active: knockback 1 space and cause a str bleed effect.

Sharpshooter:
    Active: Thread the needle: 1 str/arm damage to all units in a 5 square line.

Mend has unlimited range, the lightning ability has a range of 6.

The Grudgewielder has the same ability as the large shield-carrying dredge, except the Grudgewielder damages health instead of armor.

I believe the Warden's ability also has unlimited range, but I don't recall for sure since I used it maybe twice.

The Speaman's passive restores 1 Willpower to him and any adjacent allies when he kills an enemy. Also it should be mentioned that the active does normal strength damage as well.

And by Sharpshooter, I assume you meant Eagle Eye. Also the ability does normal strength damage (plus puncture bonus), not just 1.

Spearmaster:
    - Embolden (passive) - each kill adds 1 wp to adjacent allies.
    - Impale (active) - str damage and knock the enemy back 1/2/3 tiles. Applies bleed effect, doing 1 str damage for each tile travelled (even when pushed, taunted etc.).

Hunter:
    - Light step (passive) - travel through allies.
    - Mark prey (active) - 1/2/3 armour break and all allies close enough to attack, do str damage (they can miss).

Landsman:
    - Light step (passive) - travel through allies.

Eagle Eye:
    - Puncture (passive) - 1 bonus str per 2 target armour missing if not moved.
    - Thread the needle (active) - shoots in a straight line, all characters on that line up to 5 tiles away (even friendly!) suffer standard str dmg + puncture, if not moved + 1/2/3 armour break.
    note: 13 (10+item) str Alette with supporting shieldmaster take down enemies 2-4 at a time easily.

Mender:
    - Arc lightning (active) - 6 range, 2/3/4 damage, that then jumps to any characters standing diagonally (even friendly!) each jump does 1 more dmg.
    - Mend (active) - 6 range, restores [casters current willpower/2] friendly targets armour +0/1/2. Current wp counts AFTER the spell is payed for.

Three questions:

(1) Hunter's Mark Prey -- Do we know in which order the in-range units attack? It's important if you're aiming to get kills on specific units.
    (2) Hunter's Mark Prey -- If the prey is a SB and takes 3 melee hits but dies on the 2nd hit... Does the 3rd melee attacker take RtF?
    (3) Thread the Needle -- If the EE has an adjacent enemy and targets one further afar, does the adjacent one also take damage?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

1) the kill goes to the Hunter
    2) the dredge don't have SB, we won't have Hunter in Factions any time soon :P
    3) he/she does

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    (2) Hunter's Mark Prey -- If the prey is a SB and takes 3 melee hits but dies on the 2nd hit... Does the 3rd melee attacker take RtF?
    Rensei is correct that Dredge don't have RtF, but from the fight against Varl on the bridge, I'm pretty sure all attackers take RtF. Not 100% on that, but I seem to recall that being the case.

Thanks! The answer to my (1) was kinda unexpected though

Some more:

(4) Mender's Arc Lightning -- If the target unit has two diagonally-adjacent units, which will the arc jump to?
    (5) Grudgewielder's Guts -- Has anyone confirmed if there is a "pass-thru-unit" functionality, as in the Battering Ram? Also (netz pointed this out), in the description is says that GW does "normal damage" plus knockback, but he always seems to do 1STR...

Also, I think it's only proper to record the Dredge abilities too

4) it jumps to both (or even more) adjacent targets, hitting both for +1dmg, however it is better to set up a nice chain. The bolt jumps even if one of the units is killed by it.

5) this and shield dredge ability pushes them only set amount of tiles or untill collision - doesn't push through. This often bites the dredge in the ass since they end up doing 1dmg to You and 4dmg to friendlies.

EDIT : I think it does normal str dmg to the target im front of the guy.
    Last edited by Rensei; 01-18-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    4) it jumps to both (or even more) adjacent targets, hitting both for +1dmg, however it is better to set up a nice chain. The bolt jumps even if one of the units is killed by it.
    Interesting... So, there is potential for branching arcs to re-unite, completely frying an enemy?

Code:
      F
     E E
    C D C
     B B
      A
    In the above example, "A" is the target unit, the spark goes "upwards" and the units are arranged in a nice diamond/rhomb formation. So, assuming a rank-1 arc, the damage sustained is:
    • A : 2
    • B : 3=(A+1)
    • C : 4=(A+2)
    • D : 8=(A+2)*2 -- we got two arcs here, that split in two (each)
    • E : 20=(A+3)*4 -- we got four arcs here
    • F : 24=(A+4)*4

This is so interresting I am tempted to run a test fight vs weak melee enemies on easy and position them using taunts pushes and whatnot, though I am affraid it doesn't work like that (path is calculated before it launches, and setup so that each target is hit only once. I recall having 5 enemies hit and the spell zig-zaging between them.

In the above example, "A" is the target unit, the spark goes "upwards" and the units are arranged in a nice diamond/rhomb formation. So, assuming a rank-1 arc, the damage sustained is:
    • D : 8=(A+2)*2 -- we got two arcs here, that split in two (each)
    • E : 20=(A+3)*4 -- we got four arcs here
    • F : 24=(A+4)*4
    Pretty sure each target is only hit once, like Rensei said. So it would (probably) be:
    • D : 4=(A+2)
    • E : 5=(A+3)
    • F : 6=(A+4)

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    path is calculated before it launches, and setup so that each target is hit only once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochlan View Post
    Pretty sure each target is only hit once, like Rensei said.
    OK, I believe this makes it much simpler to implement and it doesn't defy the laws of electromagnetics (as much)
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 01-19-2014 at 05:19 PM.

How do people think these new units are going to work in factions?

I was thinking about the spearman recently, and how powerful his ability was (especially against slingers). When combined with a strongarm, or even better a grudgewielder, he can do quite a bit of guaranteed strength damage while completely ignoring a target's armor.

That said, maybe that isn't as much of an issue as implementing hunters or menders, and it's certainly a more mundane topic than all this crazy lightning strategy, but it's still something I've been thinking about.

Also, I don't see any reason we couldn't get some of the dredge units in Factions as well. They'd need some changes of course, but they had some pretty cool abilities that could be a lot of fun to use. I doubt the ability that summons another unit could ever work though.

The Spearmaster seems like the most likely to come in Factions "as is", along with the Warden, the Eagle-Eye & Grudgewielder. I wouldn't tweak them (except for the max stats, of course) at the moment.

The Mender & Hunter are way off balance... Only way to bring a Mender is if the opponent has got one too. Hunter needs a big tone-down too. Either reduce the bow-attack range (e.g. 3 or 4), or severely limit his max stats, or change the was his active-ability works.

The Dredge are fun, but they are kinda UP: they don't have well developed ability-sets and their passives are mostly negative (Splinter) or random (Run Off) making them bad for Factions. A lot of work is needed on them, if they're gonna rival human/Varl units on equal grounds (not just stat-buffed).

I think Hunter could work if it only granted 1 attack, and maybe only worked on melee units. "Giving you a break and 1 extra strength attack" is on par with what tempest (2+ str attacks) or run through accomplishes, as long as puncture isn't involved.

The dredge have two major "abilities" that kill them, some others they can't use. Apart Bello, red slingers and the big str guy, they are beyond UP.

The Spearmaster seems like the most likely to come in Factions "as is", along with the Warden, the Eagle-Eye & Grudgewielder. I wouldn't tweak them (except for the max stats, of course) at the moment.

The Mender & Hunter are way off balance... Only way to bring a Mender is if the opponent has got one too. Hunter needs a big tone-down too. Either reduce the bow-attack range (e.g. 3 or 4), or severely limit his max stats, or change the was his active-ability works.
    Well Warden could need some range nerfing maybe, as for now it seems to be a free WP generator. Although due to the fact he is not really a useful unit overall (poor stats), probably he is good as is.
    Mender has absolutely no way into Factions currently, just that
    Hunter is way imba due to his active ability, and there is no real way to change it. Even if he would have his stats reduced he could be used as one-time-hitter to bring down a powerful enemy (have hunter in the back, break with raiders/archers, bring hunter and Mark Prey -> raiders/archers all hit strength).
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Has anyone gotten the two handed varl Raven leader to join their party? He is shown on the right.

The Mender & Hunter are way off balance... Only way to bring a Mender is if the opponent has got one too.
    Personally, I've done way more damage to my own units than the enemy with the Mender! lol... Fun unit to play with though.

(Would be nice imo if the pathway of the lightning arc was highlighted in the same way as the Warhawk's Tempest ability...)
    Last edited by loveboof; 01-20-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastilean View Post
    Has anyone gotten the two handed varl Raven leader to join their party?
    Pretty sure that's not possible. I am assuming he will become a party member in Part 2 (assuming again that there will be a Part 2).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast