Thread: What do the difficulty settings actually change?

What do the difficulty settings actually change?

See the title. I've been playing for about 10 hours now on normal difficulty, and it's been quite a challenge. I'm debating with myself about switching down to easy, but before I do that (and negate any possibility of getting an achievement), I'd like to know what the difference is between difficulty levels. Enemy stats? The likelihood of characters escaping from a losing battle? Number of enemies? AI? Frequency of resource-gaining story encounters?

Dunno about the AI (they seem silly as usuall on both normal and hard), Bellower seems to play a bit smarter on harder, and use his shout ability more.
    The basic difference is the enemy stats str and armor (possibly willpower?).

There is no change outside of combat - the game itself confirms it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    Bellower seems to play a bit smarter on harder, and use his shout ability more.
    I actually had the opposite experience. In fact, Bellower didn't use his shout at all when I fought him on hard (well, not until I hit him with the silver arrow).

The differences I noticed were that enemies had superior stats basically across the board, and there were more enemies on average per fight.

I think that what basically changes is the number of enemies. Another thing that might change is the "tier" of the enemies. For instance, there's three tiers of Dredge Scourge: "Regular", Warrior & Destroyer. So, in a battle where a Scourge is set to appear, you might get a Regular/Warrior/Destroyer tier, for Easy/Normal/Hard difficulty, respectively. But, I confirm that it's basically more enemies to face, as the difficulty rises.

Also, please confirm that the same tier of Dredge suffers a +1/-1 to their STR&ARM (w.r.t. Normal-difficulty stats) for Hard/Easy difficulties. So, for example, a Stoneguard Colossus has
    • 22ARM/14STR @ Hard
    • 21ARM/13STR @ Normal
    • 20ARM/12STR @ Easy
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

The numbers seem very odd. They are randomly generated and can vary between one reload and the other on the same difficulty level. At the same time 2 small ones can be "upgraded" to one big guy between difficulties.

From what I saw difficulty affects only stats, not numbers.

From what I've seen there are a number of differences:

1) Enemy Armor and Strength values. The higher the difficulty, the higher the armor and strength of most enemies. Bellower drops about 5 points of strength and armor between normal and easy.

2) On easy you do not have temporary strength penalties for warriors knocked out in battle, on all other difficulties you do.

3) Easy has quite a lot fewer enemies to fight. Really. The final battle has about 7 enemies on normal, only about 4 on easy.