Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Impressions: The Banner Saga’s F2P Multiplayer [Rock, Paper, Shotgun]

1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #21
    Right.
    I think I'd like to make 2 versions of the timer. Basic play could be just over a minute and then have a second 'tournament timer' for 30 seconds. When you know how to play the game 30 seconds feels right because you need to be concentrating and mistakes can happen, which is good because the more skillful player that knows their team can take advantage. Just over a minute for basic play doesn't feel too rushed we've found. When Nathan from Rock, Paper, Shotgun was playing we had it set for 45 seconds and it was a little rushed because he never played before, so 1 whole minute should feel fine. That being said ALL this is open for debate and balance once we're in Beta. I'm just musing here.
    When playing friends there will be more timer options including no timer. So you can relax and teach a friend over chat or work on testing tactics.
    Of note: "Friend mode" does not accrue Renown. It's just for fun, bragging rights and training.

sounds good to me
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

Yeah, a timer makes players prepare their moves beforehand, making surprise moves by the ennemy even more surprising because you have to replan your next moves with just a few time left.
    My beard is augmented.

Quote Originally Posted by Harukio View Post
    I also like the use of a timer. Although it can make things panicky when first learning, I find it helps keep the game moving. My only problem with timers has been in multiplayer games (hello Dofus & Wakfu) where suddenly there's a connection error and the timer keeps going and bungles the game.
    Hello, fellow Wakfu player. This is a huge issue if disconnects happen though, good point. However, I think it happens that way to give the player a chance to reconnect in the short term and get back into the game. A 4 hour arena attempt was saved because of this, actually. I had disconnected late into the arena run, but managed to reconnect in less than one round of turns, allowing me to remain in. Unfortunately, end result is still that it lags out the other players majorly for the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Right.
    I think I'd like to make 2 versions of the timer. Basic play could be just over a minute and then have a second 'tournament timer' for 30 seconds. When you know how to play the game 30 seconds feels right because you need to be concentrating and mistakes can happen, which is good because the more skillful player that knows their team can take advantage. Just over a minute for basic play doesn't feel too rushed we've found. When Nathan from Rock, Paper, Shotgun was playing we had it set for 45 seconds and it was a little rushed because he never played before, so 1 whole minute should feel fine. That being said ALL this is open for debate and balance once we're in Beta. I'm just musing here.
    When playing friends there will be more timer options including no timer. So you can relax and teach a friend over chat or work on testing tactics.
    Of note: "Friend mode" does not accrue Renown. It's just for fun, bragging rights and training.
    This sounds great.

I love tactical games where the positioning counts. And for MP of course the timer is a good thing :-) Let's get this started :-D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2