Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 176

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Banner Saga Mysteries and Unresolved plots List!

  1. #1

    The Banner Saga Mysteries and Unresolved plots List!

    This has started in a thread in Steam (https://steamcommunity.com/app/237990...7377737863308/) but I figured the devs and the fans would have an easier time finding it here =)

    For now it was created by me and I added a couple questions from a Steam user named WoodMan (Thanks!). Hope you like it and contribute with it!

    Well, here is a list of things we would like to see addressed further on in chapter 2 and 3.

    [SPOILERS] Obviously, but still, here is the warning.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    - Why did the sun stop? Where the gods responsible for moving the sun or the same thing that killed them also stopped the star?

    - Who was Unnar? He had god-like powers.

    - What happens to the dredge child?

    - What happens to the frost child? Why did she spoke in a strange language? Couldn't the menders understand her? And how can she detect the Dredge?

    - What happened in the caravan event just before Ridgehorn where Mogr runs after some ravens, jumps of a cliff and start flying right before bursting into flames? Was that an illusion? Caused by whom or what? And why only Hakon and Mogr experienced it but decided to keep it between them? Was that an omen?

    - What is the serpent? Who sent it? It mentions it is just the hammer to the blacksmith.
    - Is the giant serpent the sun god? (I believe one of the godstone stories said that some believe the Sun god is a giant serpent, and we also see the sun stopping as this serpent appears).
    - It doesn't claim to be a god but it did say it came to eat the "tapestry" of the world but "The Darkness" came instead and now it can't eat it the way he wanted.

    - What is the Darkness? What is causing it? If the serpent is meant to be the end of the world and it is incomplete (Why? Was it Juno?) who is causing the Darkness?

    - Why are the Dredge invading? What are their motives? Are they really just running away from the Darkness?

    - In fact,WHAT ARE the dredge? Are they using armor or is that their actual bodies? Who created them (Gods?), for what purpose (to unite men and Varl?), and why can they reproduce? Do they have a complex society? Are they really mindless and savage like the Varl think? Or is Iver the only one that knows more and the truth about the Dredge?
    - Since Slingers seen to be a new type of Dredge tht was previously unknown, what are those blue "grenades" they throw made from? Is that magic? Alchemy?
    - Speaking of Slingers, could the reason they have never been seen before is that they are the female of the species and never went to war? But now that they are running away they have to go with the males. The one you find dead with the baby is mentioned as a slinger, so adding to them running from the darkness, they brought their females and babies (which adds a kinda freaky point, if you see the slingers, a lot of them have some sort of bundle on their backs, maybe Dredge infants?!)

    - Why did Bellower chase the caravan? Was he after Eyvind or Iver? Was he the husband of Raze?

    - Are the gods really dead? And why? How did they die? Signs of the gods being alive can be seen in Unnar; in the pin with the dredge child; the winds that stop in one of the godstones and maybe in the worshipping dredge in Stravh's godstone.
    - How does the world look with the gods actually "communicating" with it?

    - Did Ludin killed Vognir? Why?

    - What happened to Ubin's gold? You can try to recover it and send it to Strand. (Is this important? Gunnulf would give his life for it.) If you don't try to recover it Ludin will steal it and it's mentioned you can try to reclaim it later. Will this become important?

    - What happened to Sigbjorn? He left my party when entering Boesgard. (Is this a bug?). Also, I told the Ravens about him and the mead, will he be punished?

    - What happens to the Varl at Einartoft? What happens if I destroy the bridge right away? And if Iver destroys the bridge only after 3 days, does the delay change anything? What about if you try but surrender and don't destroy the bridge at all? Fasolt lives? (This is thought to be a bug. Should he die no matter what you do?) What is the Varl fate if I just leave? The outcome of the 4 scenarios is never mentioned.
    - If Einartoft falls, who will become the new Varl king: Krumr, Iver, Hakon?

    - What happened with Hakon's caravan after they left Einartoft? They where heading for Arberrang, how did they ended up in Boesgard? How did they find Juno?

    - Hakon also mentions the damage the serpent did. What exactly was that damage and why is the serpent doing it?

    - If Bellower was responsible for about every dredge incursion since the fall of Grofheim, where are the other Sundr? How many are there?

    - Why was Rook choosen to kill Bellower? According to Juno he was the only one who had a reason and would always "come back" (from the dead?) for his daughter.

    - Assuming you let Rook take the final shoot agains Bellower (as Juno intended when he was choosen), Iver mentions that Alette must stop being Alette for the time being. Why? Will the dredge hunt her? Also, who will lead the caravan if Alette goes into hiding? And what does Alette change into? She pulls her hood up and she goes back to being rank 1.

    - What happened to Arberrang and the Menders while our own adventure was taking place?

    - What is the relationship between Eyvind and Juno? Could mentor and apprentice be lovers? Do the menders know/aprove? It seems they try to keep this a secret.

    - How are Varl born? It's mentioned that only the gods can create new Varl and now that the gods are dead, the race will disappear. The process in which new Varl are created is never mentioned and it seems very complex. Also, why are there only male Varl, making them unable to reproduce if even the Dredge can? In their race profile it states that "despite their warlike culture, they too cultivate families and are not without emotions", so are these families composed of mother and children or is it just kendr or brother-in-arms? Is that why they lack concern for women and children of other species? More information about the Varl society and familiar structure would be much welcome.
    - More importantly, can their race be saved? Jorundr clearly thinks not. If their god is directly involved in the birth of new Varl, can he be revived? Can they learn to create new Varl without him - presuming anyone even survives the oncoming pair of apocalypses?

    - Where did the body go during the funeral at the end scene? What do the two trees represent and why is there a moon and it's night? Is it the otherworld or maybe the realm of the gods?

    - When Juno is speaking to the serpent, you can see her standing at the edge of the tower, but ther is another body of Juno laying where you first find it with Hakon. Is that a bug or is it intentional? Is Juno immortal too?

    - What are the Horseborn? Will we see/battle/ally with the Horseborn?

    - Will we get to know more about the water/sea spirits of the brackish sea?

    - The Spindle and Skelmotskrolr's descriptions mention disappearing/hidden lands to the east, will this become a plot point? Run away from the main continent?

    - Where do the Dredge go after loosing the battle outside Boersgård?

    - Did Snorri (One of the 3 oldest Varl) die in the fall of Grofheim? Kurmr mentions that if he dies, Ubin will be the oldest, but Snorri's death is never mentioned.

    - Considering Aletter survived, will Egil and her get closer now? Will Egil declare his crush?

    - Wil we see them end of the argument between Mogun and Hogun?

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uff, that is a long list. If you have anything to add, please do =)
    Really hope the devs are seing this. Would love to get feedback from them.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by Nelson Rosenberg; 01-22-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Making a more forma list =)

  2. #2
    awesome questions that i also have,i hope every choice nad question is tied and answered in chapter 2

  3. #3
    Great thread!

    Of particular concern to me personally is - how much will our choices transfer over into chapter two? For instance, I have the dredge child in my caravan, but not the frost child.

    And in addition to all of those very fine questions, I really want to know more about the Varl.

    How does their culture work? Family structure? Reproduction?

    They appear to have only a single gender, and their race profile states "despite their warlike culture, they too cultivate families and are not without emotions" so there is definitely some kind of family dynamic. We've only heard about 'kendr' in the context of heirs to the throne - is it only to do with rulership, or a broader method of declaring an individual Varl as a family member? Somewhat similar to marriage, I assume, as Vognir and Hakon seemed very close and were kendr but only met in the second war, which implies that they were family by choice rather than by birth.

    And speaking of birth: at first I thought that maybe since they are presumed immortal that all Varl are 'original' Varl directly created by the gods, but that cannot be the case. Older Varl such as Ubin and Krumr are referenced as being about 400, while Hakon refers to himself as "almost 200". Up until a certain point in the past, new Varl were being born. Why did they stop? Did it coincide with the death of the gods? If so, how specifically were Varl born? Did it involve a religious ritual? And if it did, would it have been undertaken by an original Varl? A pair- maybe something to do with Kender? Or would a new Varl be born into the community as a whole?

    Which leads to the BIG PLOT QUESTION- can their race be saved? Jorundr clearly thinks not. If their god is directly involved in the birth of new Varl, can he be revived? Can they learn to create new Varl without him - presuming anyone even survives the oncoming pair of apocalypses?

  4. #4
    Those are some great questions about the Varl lanegilliam. As far as I understand, the Varl were created by the gods and the gods created new Varl constantly, which is why there are older Varl and new Varl. Probably the first ones were killed in the wars and new ones were created to replace them. I think only Kurmr mentions fighting in the first war. This leads to the conclusion that there are not female Varl, which is supported by their usual lack of concern for woman and children.
    BUT, I hear a user mentioning in Stem forums that you can see a child Varl in one of the bridge battles (I did not notice it) and this little bit of race profile you mentioned would lead to the conclusion that if they have families, there must be Varl women and children (I wasn't aware of this race profile). This is very strange indeed, let's add to the questions.

    As for the kendr dinamyc I think it has to do with who takes over if you fall and as such it can be used in a number of contexts. The kendr of the king will be the next king, but the kendr of a general could be the one who leads his armies in case the general falls. I think it also has some hint of brother-in-arms kind of thing.

    On the brith topic, yes, the Varl are not immortal but can become very old. They were create by the gods and are probably not born, but come to life as adults since not one of them mentions any childhood. Since the gods are dead new Varl are not being created to replace the dead ones. The precise manner in wich a Varl is create is still unknown, but we can assume it can only be done by the gods (until now).

  5. #5
    Junior Member Bastilean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    18
    Good questions.

  6. #6
    Backer Slimsy Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    368
    On a more simple note: what are those blue "grenades" the Dredge slingers throw made from? Is that magic? Alchemy?

  7. #7
    Good one Slimsy, since the Slingers are a new type of Dredge, they are probably not magic, since the mender-type dredge is already known to Iver. I would say they are probably alchemical in nature =)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - Why did the sun stop? And how is it winter? It should be very hot and tidal locked, with oceans causing havoc. (Just a pet peeve)
    While it is an interesting question as to why the sun stopped, I think the rest of your comment is assuming some things. Considering the mythic/fantasy nature of this world, it could be that sun was actually a large fire carried by a flying cart across the sky. So the seasons and tides could have nothing to do with the sun at all.

  9. #9
    Superbacker Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    43
    I wouldn't worry too much about scientific explanations for such things. It's a fantasy world, after all. Who knows what the sun really is in the Banner Saga universe! Maybe it's not a gigantic sphere of hot plasma held together by gravity.

    One thing that left me wondering is the end scene and the burning ship funeral. Where did the ship go? Some sort of paradise?

    I'd really love to know more about TBS lore!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by illathid View Post
    While it is an interesting question as to why the sun stopped, I think the rest of your comment is assuming some things. Considering the mythic/fantasy nature of this world, it could be that sun was actually a large fire carried by a flying cart across the sky. So the seasons and tides could have nothing to do with the sun at all.
    That's why I said it was my pet peeve. Regardless, I'll add a more fantastical explanation.

    Also going to add a question about the end scene!

  11. #11
    Backer angelcatano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    27

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post

    - Why did the sun stop? Where the gods responsible for moving the sun or the same thing that killed them also stopped the star?
    Seems the sun was still going for some time, yet again, at some point i remember there was a clue about the gods not being dead, but they just stopped communicating with the world (btw, does this world have it's own name?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - Who was Unnar? He had god-like powers.

    - What happens to the dredge child?

    - What happens to the frost child? Why did she spoke in a strange language? Couldn't the menders understand her?
    Maybe Juno would, Eyvinnd was an apprentice after all, he even says that he can't understand the writing in a god(es) stone at some point (while mentiong that Valke can understand, albeit he mentions that each Valke reads a different thing, which can be either that the words are "multisignificant" to call them somthing, or everyone that tries to read it just makes up stuff as they go :P)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post

    - What is the serpent? Who sent it? It mentions it is just the hammer to the blacksmith.
    - Is the giant serpent the sun god? (I believe one of the godstone stories said that some believe the Sun god is a giant serpent, and we also see the sun stopping as this serpent appears). (WoodMan)
    I think the serpent, in his metaphor, called Juno the Hammer, and he was the blacksmith, Think he meant to say something like "you are insignificant, stop asking questions"

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - What is the Darkness? What is causing it? If the serpent is meant to be the end of the world and it is incomplete (Why? Was it Juno?) who is causing the Darkness?

    - Why are the Dredge invading? What are their motives? Are they just running away from the Darkness?
    Seems to be the case, that they are just running (they say this when you find the Mother Dredge with the baby dredge

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - In fact,WHAT ARE the dredge? Are they using armor or is that their actual bodies? Who created them (Gods?), for what purpose (to unite men and Varl?), and why can they reproduce? Do they have a complex society? Are they really mindless and savage like the Varl think? Or is Iver the only one that knows more and the truth about the Dredge?
    - Since Slingers seen to be a new type of Dredge tht was previously unknown, what are those blue "grenades" they throw made from? Is that magic? Alchemy? (Slimsy Platypus)
    I think they are some sort of stone golem/giant, but seem to have extra armour (I do like the feature that they "splinter" when hit hard for armour and damage nearby dredge
    And seems they haven't seen them before because they might all be female (The one you find dead with the baby is mentioned as a slinger), so adding to them running from the darkness, they brought their females and babies (which adds a kinda freaky point, if you see the slingers, a lot of them have some sort of bundle on their backs, maybe Dredge infants?!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - Why did Bellower chase the caravan? Was he after Eyvind or Iver? Was he the husband of Raze?

    - Are the gods really dead? How did they die? Signs of the gods being alive can be seen in Unnar; in the pin with the dredge child; the winds that stop in one of the godstones and maybe in the worshipping dredge in Stravh's godstone.
    When you go to the final godstone with Juno, they mention that that particular god was of fortune and trade, and that he traded with the gods the weapons they used to kill each other, hope to know more about the dead of the gods too, but this was the only clue I saw/found during gameplay... And guess Unnar might be a god, or another godly creation (Think wizards in Tolkien's universe)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - Did Ludin killed Vognir? Why?

    - What happened to Ubin's gold? You can try to recover it and send it to Strand. (Is this important? Gunnulf would give his life for it.) And who are they collecting taxes for? It is not for the king Jorundr
    Gunnulf seems a bit of a simpleton, so maybe he was just focused on his mission (to protect the treasures).... And yes, the treassure and taxes where for King Jorundr, Ubin mentions it

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - What happened to Sigbjorn? He left my party when entering Boesgard. (Is this a bug?). Also, I told the Ravens about him and the mead, will he be punished?
    Think there are conditions to have him stay, but haven't verified it myself

    [QUOTE=Nelson Rosenberg;26845]
    - What happens to the Varl at Einartoft? What happens if I destroy the bridge right away? And if Iver destroys the bridge only after 3 days, does the delay change anything? What about if you try but surrender and don't destroy the bridge at all? Fasolt lives? (This is thought to be a bug. Should he die no matter what you do?) What is the Varl fate if I just leave? The outcome of the 4 scenarios is never mentioned.
    - If Einartoft falls, who will become the new Varl king: Krumr, Iver, Hakon? (WoodMan) [QUOTE]
    That question can be solved with another play through :P or you can just reload from that point of the story think you are just kicked out of Einartoft, but afaik, if you destroy the bridge (or attempt to destroy it), King Jorund mentions that the alliance of Man and Varl is over, so this would be an interesting point to develop in Chapters 2 and 3. I've kept fasolt in one of my playthroughs, I battled on the bridge the first two days, and on the third, I tried to destroy the bridge (But surrendered to the varl when confronted)... the bridge wasn't destroyed, Jorund gets angry and kicks us out, but Udin still comes and joins (and brings varls, including Fasolt). And seems the Dredge start following your party (as you asked before, this is not fully explained, perhaps Iver's fault for killing Raze and the baby Dredge, which I assume they where Bellower's family)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - What happened with Hakon's caravan after they left Einartoft? They where heading for Arberrang, how did they ended up in Boesgard? How did they find Juno?

    - Hakon also mentions the damage the serpent did. What exactly was that damage?
    Håkon mentions that there was a split on the earth one mile wide, that's why they took the detour. They randomly (or by fate?) find Juno half frozen on their way to Boersgård (And Juno got lost, blocked or simply couldn't get safely to Sigrholm).
    Also as an extra, it's from these splits that some of the Dredge are "pouring out", as mentioned by Eyvinnd (I Think) that the menders sent the Sundr to the depths of the earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - If Bellower was responsible for about every dredge incursion since the fall of Grofheim, where are the other Sundr? How many are there?

    - Why was Rook choosen to kill Bellower? According to Juno he was the only one who had a reason and would always "come back" (from the dead?) for his daughter.

    - Assuming you let Rook take the final shoot agains Bellower (as Juno intended when he was choosen), Iver mentions that Alette must stop being Alette for the time being. Why? Will the dredge hunt her? Also, who will lead the caravan if Alette goes into hiding? And what does Alette change into? She pulls her hood up and she goes back to being rank 1.
    Yes! also her description changes (unfortunately, it changes to a bugged code, just like Iver after he loses his arm)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - What happened to Arberrang and the Menders while our own adventure was taking place? (WoodMan)

    - What is the relationship between Eyvind and Juno? Could mentor and apprentice be lovers? Do the menders know/aprove? It seems they try to keep this a secret.

    - How are Varl born? It's mentioned that only the gods can create new Varl and now that the gods are dead, the race will disappear. The process in which new Varl are created is never mentioned and it seems very complex. Also, why are there only male Varl, making them unable to reproduce if even the Dredge can? In their race profile it states that "despite their warlike culture, they too cultivate families and are not without emotions", so are these families composed of mother and children or is it just kendr or brother-in-arms? Is that why they lack concern for women and children of other species? More information about the Varl society and familiar structure would be much welcome. (lanegilliam)
    - More importantly, can their race be saved? Jorundr clearly thinks not. If their god is directly involved in the birth of new Varl, can he be revived? Can they learn to create new Varl without him - presuming anyone even survives the oncoming pair of apocalypses? (lanegilliam)
    Think this was answered somewhere else, but Ill type it anyway: I don't think all varl where created at the same time, so the god taht created them kept making more. And as mentioned in another answer in this lengthy post: maybe the gods just stopped talking with the people of earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    - Where did the body go during the funeral at the end scene? What do the two trees represent and why is there a moon and it's night? Is it the otherworld or maybe the realm of the gods? (Surtr)
    Well, If you see the wikipedia article on Valkyrie (which is reminded by Valke) you can see some of the afterwordly stuff taht might be inspiration/clue for this

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    And the last but one of my favourites:

    - Did Snorri (One of the 3 oldest Varl) die in the fall of Grofheim? Kurmr mentions that if he dies, Ubin will be the oldest, but Snorri's death is never mentioned.

    Uff, that is a long list. If you have anything to add, please do =)
    Really hope the devs are seing this. Would love to get feedback from them.

    Cheers.
    And my own questions: Will we see/battle/ally with the Horseborn?
    Maybe get to know more about the water/sea spirits of the brackish sea?
    The Spindle and Skelmotskrolr's descriptions mention disappearing/hidden lands to the east, will this become a plot point? run away from the main continent?
    Where do the Dredge go after loosing the battle outside Boersgård?

    I'm sure most of my questions have been asked already, but will have a new playthrough this week and maybe will come out with more questions

  12. #12
    Superbacker netnazgul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    456
    I'll also drop my 5c to the fire:

    Which arm did Iver lost after battle with Bellover?

    If you notice, the thing with 2d graphics and how it's drawn into the game shows it either left or right depending on where and when the image shows (it could be even both in a single combat cause animation are mirrored)
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

    Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

  13. #13
    Skald Aleonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    2,442
    My question: The suffix "-singer" in the Stonesingers (a.k.a. Dredge-menders) comes from the verb (a) "sing", as in carrying a tune/song or (b) "singe", as in scorch with fire?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    My question: The suffix "-singer" in the Stonesingers (a.k.a. Dredge-menders) comes from the verb (a) "sing", as in carrying a tune/song or (b) "singe", as in scorch with fire?
    I would think it's the first - the musical one. One of the Varl... I think it was Iver? Said something like "One thing you need to know about the Dredge is that they start using their weapons like a tuning fork, you need to hit them hard". That, and the tuning-fork shape they tend to make with their weapons seems to suggest that their concept of magic - and maybe culture overall - is music-centric. Which is interesting.

  15. #15
    Backer asafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    5
    Really good questions!
    I'll address the ones I "know" from playing the game.

    1. "Frost child" - There's a few events with her, nothing that concludes her story, I for one didn't even remember finding her but she did appear a few times during my journey as an event I had to deal with. At one point and this seems to point to her origin, she stops and is visibly shaking and terrified, she draws a tent on the ground and she repeats some word I think she used in a previous event, she is also pointing to the forest.
    I chose to take some warriors and go in that directions and I happened to slaughter a whole camp of dredge.
    Can't remember what the reward was and there was no combat scene, just text description.

    P.S - Very curious about the Dredge Child too.

    2. "The Serpent" - He doesn't claim to be a good but he did say he came to eat the "tapestry" of the world but "The Darkness" came instead and now he can't eat it the way he wanted. (or something like that :-) )
    There's a lot of unexplained things regarding him, Probably need to go back and read the encounter with him.

    3. "Dredge invasion" - They are not invading! they are running away! apparently from either "The Darkness" or "The serpent" or both.

    P.s - I agree completely with your questions about the Vral and Dredge origins, also weird the Dredge obviously can reproduce and have females but the Vral can't and there are no female Vrals.

    4. "Bellower" - I really didn't get "Bellower" or the whole "Sundr" thing, who are they? what is their place in Dredge society? It is mentioned "Bellower" can't be killed... why? are all "Sundr" like that?
    How does it make sense considering they can reproduce? (Note Ivar killed a sundr that were holding her dead child)

    5. "Gods" - some hints where made to them being alive just not interfering or communicating with the world.
    Although... how does the world look with the gods actually "communicating" with it?

    6. "Ubin's Gold" - Depends on your actions, it's either left there, you return it (you lose some Vrals if you decide to leave them to collect the gold and return it to 'some city, can't remember), there's also the option of amounts of it being taken by Lundin and his men and some of your Vral, you can slap him and get it back. (didn't have any other consequence as far as I know)

    7. "Sigbjorn" - I was annoyed he just left my party, especially after I gave him a powerful trinket, thinking he is with me to stay.
    I really didn't like the fact you can lose items so easily when a character leaves or dies according to the story, there's also usually no warning when that happens and very little explanations.
    I tried playing that part a few times, including telling the ravens about him, I infer from the text that he is killed by the raven leader if you tell them about him. (but I got a lot of supplies for it! :-) )

    8. "The Serpent's damage" - we see the serpent is tearing the earth when he moves, destroying mountains and shifting land, I also remember some mention of a place that now has a deep chasm there because the serpent went through there, I think Hakon is the one who mentions it.

    9. "Rook killing Bellower" - It can also be Alette depending on your choices, what Juno said about Rook is related to taking him with her to the God Stone in order to get the shards, she said he looks "quick" and "able" and she knows that even if things go wrong and she dies he will do anything in order to see his daughter again and get back to her. Basically saying, if she is killed at the god stone he wouldn't die fighting or runaway, he would take the shards back to Boesgard because Alette is there.

    Very good questions, hope I helped shed some light.
    Still a lot more unexplained and I would love to know too! :-)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcatano View Post
    Seems the sun was still going for some time, yet again, at some point i remember there was a clue about the gods not being dead, but they just stopped communicating with the world (btw, does this world have it's own name?)
    There are lots of clues about the gods not being dead, but to the people in the world, they are so, what made they think that is the real question? And I don't think it has a name, but it sure should!


    Quote Originally Posted by angelcatano View Post
    I think the serpent, in his metaphor, called Juno the Hammer, and he was the blacksmith, Think he meant to say something like "you are insignificant, stop asking questions"
    If I remember, the words of the serpent where "Do you ask the hammer what the blacksmith is doing?" Which implies that the serpent is the hammer. It would be kinda weird if the serpent said that Juno was the hammer, as she is trying to stop the serpent (hopefully!)


    Quote Originally Posted by angelcatano View Post
    I think they are some sort of stone golem/giant, but seem to have extra armour (I do like the feature that they "splinter" when hit hard for armour and damage nearby dredge
    And seems they haven't seen them before because they might all be female (The one you find dead with the baby is mentioned as a slinger), so adding to them running from the darkness, they brought their females and babies (which adds a kinda freaky point, if you see the slingers, a lot of them have some sort of bundle on their backs, maybe Dredge infants?!)
    That is very good! It would explain why the slingers where never seen before and would add a rather dramatic touch to the story. I'll add this to the questions. =)


    Quote Originally Posted by angelcatano View Post
    When you go to the final godstone with Juno, they mention that that particular god was of fortune and trade, and that he traded with the gods the weapons they used to kill each other, hope to know more about the dead of the gods too, but this was the only clue I saw/found during gameplay... And guess Unnar might be a god, or another godly creation (Think wizards in Tolkien's universe)
    Yes, it is very likely that Stravh created the weapons that the god killed themselves with, but the questions remains why he created and why the gods used it. Is Stravh some Loki-type god and if so why didn't he survived the death of the other gods?


    Quote Originally Posted by angelcatano View Post
    Gunnulf seems a bit of a simpleton, so maybe he was just focused on his mission (to protect the treasures).... And yes, the treassure and taxes where for King Jorundr, Ubin mentions it
    Maybe I missed this.


    Quote Originally Posted by angelcatano View Post
    That question can be solved with another play through :P or you can just reload from that point of the story think you are just kicked out of Einartoft, but afaik, if you destroy the bridge (or attempt to destroy it), King Jorund mentions that the alliance of Man and Varl is over, so this would be an interesting point to develop in Chapters 2 and 3. I've kept fasolt in one of my playthroughs, I battled on the bridge the first two days, and on the third, I tried to destroy the bridge (But surrendered to the varl when confronted)... the bridge wasn't destroyed, Jorund gets angry and kicks us out, but Udin still comes and joins (and brings varls, including Fasolt). And seems the Dredge start following your party (as you asked before, this is not fully explained, perhaps Iver's fault for killing Raze and the baby Dredge, which I assume they where Bellower's family)
    I did play all the scenarios (and the one Fasolt lives is still thought to be a bug as he dissapears when Hakon return) but I was asking about the future outcome or what is happening while the caravan is in Boesgard =)

    Quote Originally Posted by angelcatano View Post
    Håkon mentions that there was a split on the earth one mile wide, that's why they took the detour. They randomly (or by fate?) find Juno half frozen on their way to Boersgård (And Juno got lost, blocked or simply couldn't get safely to Sigrholm).
    Also as an extra, it's from these splits that some of the Dredge are "pouring out", as mentioned by Eyvinnd (I Think) that the menders sent the Sundr to the depths of the earth
    Yes I remember, but I was hopping for a little more information or motive for the serpent to do that. It hardly seems like destroying the world a couple of mountains far away =P It still is kinda strange to me that Hakon's caravan took such a detour and why they ended at Boesgard. Maybe Juno had a hand in this. And just now something strange ocurred to me. When Juno is speaking to the serpent, you can see her standing at the edge of the tower, but ther is another body of Juno laying where you first find it with Hakon. Is that a bug or is it intentional? Is Juno immortal too?


    Quote Originally Posted by angelcatano View Post
    And my own questions: Will we see/battle/ally with the Horseborn?
    Maybe get to know more about the water/sea spirits of the brackish sea?
    The Spindle and Skelmotskrolr's descriptions mention disappearing/hidden lands to the east, will this become a plot point? run away from the main continent?
    Where do the Dredge go after loosing the battle outside Boersgård?

    I'm sure most of my questions have been asked already, but will have a new playthrough this week and maybe will come out with more questions
    I shall add your questions. I think I remember something about the Horseborn, but it slipped my mind at the time. Are they another race? Can you elaborate on that? Where are they mentioned?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by netnazgul View Post
    I'll also drop my 5c to the fire:

    Which arm did Iver lost after battle with Bellover?

    If you notice, the thing with 2d graphics and how it's drawn into the game shows it either left or right depending on where and when the image shows (it could be even both in a single combat cause animation are mirrored)
    This is probably just the effect of 2d graphics. The same thing occurs in Street Fighter 3d Strike with Oro. =)

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by asafe View Post
    Really good questions!
    I'll address the ones I "know" from playing the game.

    1. "Frost child" - There's a few events with her, nothing that concludes her story, I for one didn't even remember finding her but she did appear a few times during my journey as an event I had to deal with. At one point and this seems to point to her origin, she stops and is visibly shaking and terrified, she draws a tent on the ground and she repeats some word I think she used in a previous event, she is also pointing to the forest.
    I chose to take some warriors and go in that directions and I happened to slaughter a whole camp of dredge.
    Can't remember what the reward was and there was no combat scene, just text description.

    P.S - Very curious about the Dredge Child too.
    Yes, the frost child is a very big mistery for me. How can she detect the dredge like that?

    Quote Originally Posted by asafe View Post
    2. "The Serpent" - He doesn't claim to be a good but he did say he came to eat the "tapestry" of the world but "The Darkness" came instead and now he can't eat it the way he wanted. (or something like that :-) )
    There's a lot of unexplained things regarding him, Probably need to go back and read the encounter with him.
    I liked this explanation of the serpent! Will add it to the questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by asafe View Post
    3. "Dredge invasion" - They are not invading! they are running away! apparently from either "The Darkness" or "The serpent" or both.

    P.s - I agree completely with your questions about the Vral and Dredge origins, also weird the Dredge obviously can reproduce and have females but the Vral can't and there are no female Vrals.
    We can infer the dredge are not invading but running away, but they are doing a lot of fighting for someone just runnin with maybe wife and children =) Also, why do they worship Stravh?

    Quote Originally Posted by asafe View Post
    4. "Bellower" - I really didn't get "Bellower" or the whole "Sundr" thing, who are they? what is their place in Dredge society? It is mentioned "Bellower" can't be killed... why? are all "Sundr" like that?
    How does it make sense considering they can reproduce? (Note Ivar killed a sundr that were holding her dead child)
    The Sundr are descripded as the lords of the dredge. Maybe generals or just very powerfull and unique dredge. Not all of them are immortal, just Bellower it seems and no explanation why. Iver did kill one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by asafe View Post
    5. "Gods" - some hints where made to them being alive just not interfering or communicating with the world.
    Although... how does the world look with the gods actually "communicating" with it?
    Very good question!


    Quote Originally Posted by asafe View Post
    9. "Rook killing Bellower" - It can also be Alette depending on your choices, what Juno said about Rook is related to taking him with her to the God Stone in order to get the shards, she said he looks "quick" and "able" and she knows that even if things go wrong and she dies he will do anything in order to see his daughter again and get back to her. Basically saying, if she is killed at the god stone he wouldn't die fighting or runaway, he would take the shards back to Boesgard because Alette is there.
    That's what I thought too, but is it all? Many of the party members would certainly get the job done even if Juno fell. And Juno is prone to speaking in riddles. Can we really take what she says literally is the questions =)

  19. #19
    Backer angelcatano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    27
    I think the most important question is: If all slingers are female... Why do they all seem to sport a Moustache that would ridicule all men and varl? :P

    But in seriousness : Damn! I didn't get that second event with Frost Child! I got the one where she mentions "Edj", which I presumed (and now assumed) she meant Dredg

    Yes, I also think Fasolt living might be a bug, he did disappear in Boersgård, but It was just after I suffered the Dredge breaking into the city (had 0 soldiers and varl left) so wasn't sure what happened really

    And there's one mention of the Hunter God (think the first one after Skoldr (Rook's village)) that he used to hang out in the form of a wolf and sometimes as a man, guess this was one way for the gods to interact?

    And the Sundr, they are mentioned as the equivalent of Dredg Menders, so maybe they have a similar role? they seem to give Str to their allies in battle (whereas mender only replenishes armour). Maybe they too weave their own banners and keep a record of their history?

    And maybe Dredge are as aggressive just out of rite? maybe their god told them to do it and, even in an allegedly godless world, they still want to follow through? Maybe Stravh is still alive and he's the one that brought the darkness? D:

    There's a confusing piece of information,because in one part I think I read about the Dredge being made so human and varl would stop fighting, but in another part I read that they where made by a god that was jealous of the other god's creations... Maybe this is all a plot from Stravh to take over the world?

    And the horseborn are mentioned a few times in conversations, and in the map you can read about them (in most of the southern features of the map), they seem to be Centaurs (Think there's an item... boots made out of horseborn feet!)

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcatano View Post
    I think the most important question is: If all slingers are female... Why do they all seem to sport a Moustache that would ridicule all men and varl? :P

    But in seriousness : Damn! I didn't get that second event with Frost Child! I got the one where she mentions "Edj", which I presumed (and now assumed) she meant Dredg

    Yes, I also think Fasolt living might be a bug, he did disappear in Boersgård, but It was just after I suffered the Dredge breaking into the city (had 0 soldiers and varl left) so wasn't sure what happened really

    And there's one mention of the Hunter God (think the first one after Skoldr (Rook's village)) that he used to hang out in the form of a wolf and sometimes as a man, guess this was one way for the gods to interact?

    And the Sundr, they are mentioned as the equivalent of Dredg Menders, so maybe they have a similar role? they seem to give Str to their allies in battle (whereas mender only replenishes armour). Maybe they too weave their own banners and keep a record of their history?

    And maybe Dredge are as aggressive just out of rite? maybe their god told them to do it and, even in an allegedly godless world, they still want to follow through? Maybe Stravh is still alive and he's the one that brought the darkness? D:

    There's a confusing piece of information,because in one part I think I read about the Dredge being made so human and varl would stop fighting, but in another part I read that they where made by a god that was jealous of the other god's creations... Maybe this is all a plot from Stravh to take over the world?

    And the horseborn are mentioned a few times in conversations, and in the map you can read about them (in most of the southern features of the map), they seem to be Centaurs (Think there's an item... boots made out of horseborn feet!)
    I also didn't get the one where she warns about the Dredge, only the "Edj" one (Edj sounds like how a child would say Dredge if he/she can't quite pronunce difficult words yet =P).

    I'm not sure the Sundr are menders. Iver mentions the Stonesingers are menders for the Dredge, but I can't recall the same being said about Sundr, only that they are lords.

    I do like the theories about Dredge and Stravh, it would bring the Saga to epic proportions!

    I'm also kind of sad and ashamed that I missed an entire race =P I remember they being mentioned but I guess it just didn't really stick to my mind. Now i'm even more curious! Thinking about it, one of the godstones said that after the humans where created a god wanted to try creating a race so he mixed parts of animals and humans. I assumed this was the Varl but it could be more than one race.
    Last edited by Nelson Rosenberg; 01-21-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •