Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 176

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Banner Saga Mysteries and Unresolved plots List!

  1. #121
    Community Moderator Guğmundr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Skogr, Setterlund
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Well, yeah, but, I didn't say that they were like hollow suits-of-armor inhabited by a yellow-eyed spirit What I meant to say is whether this armor can be discarded, or is it actually part of their body, e.g. like the turtle's shell.
    This is an interesting discussion!

    Dredge armor is almost always quite geometric, with lots of straight lines and flat surfaces, which doesn't seem very organic to me. I also just noticed that the Stonesinger (which I assume is not a separate species from the rest of the dredge, just as the menders are fully human) armor appears to be made of the same material as the rest of the dredge armor, but interestingly, there are clearly several layers of clothing between their skin and the armor.

    I'm curious if we'll ever get to see a dredge that isn't dressed for battle :P
    Last edited by Guğmundr; 08-10-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    Án brynju, mağur er varnarlaus. Án styrks, er hann ekkert.

  2. #122
    for the same topic:

    A. stronger melee dredge have blue/white symbol instead of the grey/brown one. can be part of their body? (perhaps kind of they are getting stronger at one stage of life, and on that stage their armor changes a little bit)
    B. about species, some of the dredge are bigger, maybe there ARE SubRaces to the dredge race.
    little bit different than the topic:
    C. at chapter 7, when going to sthravs (is it the right name?) godstone you see a lot of dredge looking at two stonesinger doing kind of god worship or some sacrificing, which leads to the dredge have religion

  3. #123
    Junior Member natej11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    22
    I wonder if the dredge are similar to trolls in World of Warcraft, where random trolls are born as berserkers that are freakishly large and misshapen. Another possibility is that the large dredge are males and the smaller stoneslingers are females, which would make sense if the stoneslingers haven't been seen before and the entire dredge nation is fleeing the north.

  4. #124
    Skald Aleonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Guğmundr View Post
    Dredge armor is almost always quite geometric, with lots of straight lines and flat surfaces, which doesn't seem very organic to me. I also just noticed that the Stonesinger (which I assume is not a separate species from the rest of the dredge, just as the menders are fully human) armor appears to be made of the same material as the rest of the dredge armor, but interestingly, there are clearly several layers of clothing between their skin and the armor.

    I'm curious if we'll ever get to see a dredge that isn't dressed for battle :P
    The Stonesinger is peculiar for another reason: He/She seems to have an eyeless mask over her face, whereas all the other Dredge have their (yellow) eyes exposed. Perhaps this "blindness" is related to their extra-short movement range (just two tiles) and is also the cost they pay for their "magical" abilities. Finally, I do believe they are female, due to their slender frame, compared to Grunts, Stoneguard and Scourge.

    Quote Originally Posted by shigad View Post
    1. stronger melee dredge have blue/white symbol instead of the grey/brown one. can be part of their body? (perhaps kind of they are getting stronger at one stage of life, and on that stage their armor changes a little bit)
    2. about species, some of the dredge are bigger, maybe there ARE SubRaces to the dredge race.
    little bit different than the topic:
    3. at chapter 7, when going to sthravs (is it the right name?) godstone you see a lot of dredge looking at two stonesinger doing kind of god worship or some sacrificing, which leads to the dredge have religion
    1. Yes, brighter armor-colors do seem to indicate a "stronger" Dredge version...
    2. I am also very curious about that size-difference.
    3. Juno observes that the Dredge hold Stravhs in reverence, but she's not sure about the reason. It surely seems like a religious ritual or something. Also, there, as well as in the Boersgard Proving-Grounds (final battle), we see a lot of the those slender, staff-bearing Dredge, that seem like female ones. Here they are:



    1. This blue-caped one seems like a leader of sorts, being all alone in-front, and holding a large axe-like weapon (?).
    2. Those hold short staffs and their heads are wrapped in cloth just like...
    3. ..the standard Stonesinger.
    4. They hold long staffs and are also capped and have their heads wrapped in cloth.
    5. What are they holding? Something like a book? They almost seem like wearing hats...


    Quote Originally Posted by natej11 View Post
    Another possibility is that the large dredge are males and the smaller stoneslingers are females, which would make sense if the stoneslingers haven't been seen before and the entire dredge nation is fleeing the north.
    This is actually explained in the game, in Chapter 6 (at the Ingrid Godstone), that the slinger-dredge are all females!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

  5. #125
    But, there are also dredge grunts, which are in normal human size.

  6. #126
    time to revive this thread with theories for TBS 2!
    fst of all, dredge has blood confirmed if you had doubt of them having flesh bodies:
    https://youtu.be/OGOd-oyx7bw?t=30s

  7. #127
    Gosh I had completely forgot about this thread =) Feel free to update my initial list everyone!

  8. #128
    Skald Aleonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by shigad View Post
    time to revive this thread with theories for TBS 2!
    fst of all, dredge has blood confirmed if you had doubt of them having flesh bodieshttps://youtu.be/OGOd-oyx7bw?t=30s
    There's surely some liquid there, yes. Besides, we've seen a hint of that in TBS1 as well, when Ludin or Tryggvi "Impaled" a dredge...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

  9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #129
    Art Director Arnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    On a more simple note: what are those blue "grenades" the Dredge slingers throw made from? Is that magic? Alchemy?
    Grrr...this is the most amazing thread and I want to jump in and answer every question, like this one here. But I'm holding off hoping more and more becomes known from playing The Banner Saga 2! Once we ship 3 I'll take the kid gloves off and weigh in on it all.

  10. #130
    I can't help but wonder if the "Darkness" consuming the world is somehow tied to the creation of the Living Banner in Arberrang. Like, maybe the Banner represents the world, and if something isn't recorded on it then that unfortunate part of the world not important enough to be sewn into it is destroyed. That might be why the Serpent reacts with contempt when he finds out Juno is a Valka and comments to the effect of "They know not what they have done," since the Banner was created by the Valka in the first place.

    I also found it interesting that the Darkness was described as "The egg white turned black." Doesn't this imply that their entire world is just a yolk, something that is destined to be consumed in order to birth a new life? But something has clearly gone wrong with the cosmological cycles and now the purpose of the world has been thrown out of whack. Which isn't to say that the gods dying is part of the problem; all the gods die in Ragnarok, after all, and that's treated as normal and part of the saga.

    If we do reach Arberrang in Banner Saga 2, I'm looking forward to seeing this Living Banner and learning more about the mythology of the world in general.

  11. #131
    Skald Aleonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlar View Post
    the "Darkness" consuming the world is somehow tied to the creation of the Living Banner in Arberrang.

    the Darkness was described as "The egg white turned black."
    Interesting theories. Where did you read about this "Living" Banner? I thought it was simply the "Great" Banner, or something. My memory doesn't serve me so well, so I have to replay the game in order to fish those particular details. The start of chapter 5, with the discussion between Juno and the Serpent, is maybe the most "juicy" part...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

  12. #132
    Backer angelcatano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    27
    YES! Coul;dn't sleep, something make me think of this thread, and OH! I see new trailer for TBS2?

    I am very excited to see the horseborn there (missed the detail the first time I saw the trailer), I'm sure the devs had the idea of having them in the game/story for a long time, but I like to think that my wishing of that to happen also had something to do with it.

  13. #133
    Superbacker Ratatoskr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    280
    If I remember correctly, and it's been a while, the whole point of the Living Banner was that it was magic and essentially updated automatically. Which would actually fit pretty well into the theory that anything not important enough to appear on the banner ends up eaten by the dark.

    And I at least am quite looking forward to Arnie's eventual rant of explanations. I'm as much interested in learning about the world of the Banner Saga as I am actually playing more of the game. Damn those unanswered questions.

  14. #134
    Wow, and here I was thinking the post was dead =) nice to see how many of you continued searching for clues and that the devs chipped in a little! Thanks a lot!

    Now we shall start with the mysteries in TBS2!

    On another note, does anyone know if I can put the list of mysteries in a public place where everyone can edit and contribute?

  15. #135
    Skald Aleonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Rosenberg View Post
    On another note, does anyone know if I can put the list of mysteries in a public place where everyone can edit and contribute?
    Two alternatives come to mind: (a) a page on game-wiki presently at gamepedia, (b) an open GoogleDoc. Setting this up is easy, the problem is to find somebody to draft and edit it! If you can make a first draft, I can try to share it with one of the methods outlined.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Two alternatives come to mind: (a) a page on game-wiki presently at gamepedia, (b) an open GoogleDoc. Setting this up is easy, the problem is to find somebody to draft and edit it! If you can make a first draft, I can try to share it with one of the methods outlined.
    I can do a GoogleDoc, no problem, but I've never done a wikipedia article. I think my first post is still a good start, compiling a lot of the questions until now.

    here a Public GoogleDocs version of it.

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...I6-GzjC7g/edit

    Thanks a lot!

  17. #137
    Skald Aleonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    2,444
    Awesome!

    So, this latest version of your first post that you copy-pasted into that GoogleDoc is a wrap-up of all the (~130) posts, both in this thread and in the respective steam-forum thread? Lets leave it for a couple of weeks to "flourish" and them I'll move it into the gamepedia wiki as well. By the way, this weekend is PAX prime weekend, so we might hear something new for TBS2 and that might spring some forum activity as well
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Awesome!

    So, this latest version of your first post that you copy-pasted into that GoogleDoc is a wrap-up of all the (~130) posts, both in this thread and in the respective steam-forum thread? Lets leave it for a couple of weeks to "flourish" and them I'll move it into the gamepedia wiki as well. By the way, this weekend is PAX prime weekend, so we might hear something new for TBS2 and that might spring some forum activity as well
    Gosh, no, not a complete wrap-up as I lost track of this for quite a bit and I never returned to the steam-forum, as I figured here would be a better place to post it.

    I would be glad if anyone could go over the thread again and add anything that is missing.

  19. #139
    Ok I think I updated the GoogleDoc with all the post from this thread. As I said I've never returned to the thread in Steam (I don't have access to it ATM), so if a kind soul could update anything new from there you would be more than welcome =)

  20. #140
    Senior Modder YaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    255
    Have anyone noticed that the carvings on Ingrid's spear, at her godstones, are really similar to Triggvy's one?
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )




    I think, therefore I am... I think.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •