Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Banner Saga Mysteries and Unresolved plots List!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    I won't weigh in on any of this, but think once chapter 3 is complete a full book disclosing the world of The Banner Saga could be a cool project.
    Clue: You're only "scratching the surface" of the fiction.
    Speaking of which, there was a small discussion the other day on the chat, about what the name of this wold is. So that we don't refer to it as "The world of The Banner Saga" You should at least give us that little bit of info...!

13-03, 18:44, raven2134 : does the TBS realm/world actually have a name?
    13-03, 18:44, raven2134 : seems thats something thats slipped under the radar
    13-03, 20:39, Guğmundr : I've asked Arnie a couple times, but he somewhat mysteriously avoided my question both times...
    13-03, 20:47, StandSure : That's because it's "Arnsylvania".
    13-03, 23:56, Guğmundr : Haha, or "Arnieheim"
    14-03, 07:15, netnazgul : why isn't it Alexgard?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Speaking of which, there was a small discussion the other day on the chat, about what the name of this wold is. So that we don't refer to it as "The world of The Banner Saga" You should at least give us that little bit of info...!
    Yes, that is an interesting question, Aleo. I love how Carrots says "Seems thats something thats slipped under the radar." I'm amazed more people have never asked this.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #83
    Oh yeah...the only point I will weigh in on is the question of whether the gods are dead. Our game starts with 'The gods are dead' and we mean it.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #84
    Oh poo . And here I was hoping the prophesy perhaps meant otherwise.

Okay, thanks for making that clear! Still leaves a million other things unanswered though. You should work harder to bring us the next game in the trilogy!

Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Okay, thanks for making that clear! Still leaves a million other things unanswered though. You should work harder to bring us the next game in the trilogy!
    Like they haven't been working hard enough
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #87
    Quote Originally Posted by netnazgul View Post
    Like they haven't been working hard enough
    We've actually been laying low.
    Building our energy.
    Waiting.
    Lurking.
    Like a dragon ship, moored in a fjord ready to pounce on it's prey...and we just took the oars out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Oh yeah...the only point I will weigh in on is the question of whether the gods are dead. Our game starts with 'The gods are dead' and we mean it.
    But then when that chick talks to the giant serpent, he seems to suggest that they are not dead. Quite confusing what you just said!

Don't believe serpents
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #90
    Someone post here the exact wording of the serpent scene you're referring to where it's eluded to that the gods are not dead. Odd for a dev to ask, but I, like you, would have to load it up to find out.

Messing with the gamefiles i found a conversation between Hakon and Ubin, probably happening in Ridgehorn, but i didn't rember to experience it in game.

Could anyone confirm if it's there or not?

However it talks a bit on ohters Sunder (naming them)

Here you could fint the cnversatoion:

https://writer.inklestudios.com/stories/gbv2
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

I think, therefore I am... I think.

Quote Originally Posted by YaK View Post
    Messing with the gamefiles i found a conversation between Hakon and Ubin, probably happening in Ridgehorn, but i didn't rember to experience it in game. Could anyone confirm if it's there or not? However it talks a bit on ohters Sunder (naming them). Here you could fint the cnversatoion: url]https://writer.inklestudios.com/stories/gbv2[/url]
    Interesting finding, Yak. I've not come upon this conversation. The JSON-filename for this one is saga1\convo\part1\cnv_chat_narrator2.json.z; these "cnv_chat" files are those mini-chats that can be had with most caravan-members, when you seen their circular portraits while in camp-mode. Frankly, I remember only one of those "chats" with Ubin. Perhaps if you camp right after the falling-treasure-cart event, this would spring up?

Anyway, we're keeping some of the Sundr names here: Eyeless, and Braggart, and Bellower, and Walker. Any speculation on what their powers are? Judging from their nicknames, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Interesting finding, Yak. I've not come upon this conversation. The JSON-filename for this one is saga1\convo\part1\cnv_chat_narrator2.json.z; these "cnv_chat" files are those mini-chats that can be had with most caravan-members, when you seen their circular portraits while in camp-mode. Frankly, I remember only one of those "chats" with Ubin. Perhaps if you camp right after the falling-treasure-cart event, this would spring up?

Anyway, we're keeping some of the Sundr names here: Eyeless, and Braggart, and Bellower, and Walker. Any speculation on what their powers are? Judging from their nicknames, of course...
    Eyeless: leader of the stonesingers? Juno's counterpart on the enemy side. Possible extra powers and a more dangerous passive.
    Braggart: similar to a noncom officer, maybe? Unlike Bellower's brute force and unkillability maybe he focuses more on strengthening his allies, particularly the melee ones, as well as high armor for soaking up hits and vicious break so he can be in the thick of the battle turning the tide.
    Walker: Braggart's slinger counterpart? Maybe an ability for extra range and high strength so she devastates from behind the lines.

These would be their battle abilities. As for out in the real world events, I could see Walker leading raids, Braggart taking the fore in major battles and sacking major cities, and Eyeless coordinating the war behind the lines as tactician and general. Of the three Eyeless would probably be the target you'd have to fight through the others to get to.

But that's just supposition.

Quote Originally Posted by natej11 View Post
    Eyeless: leader of the stonesingers? Juno's counterpart on the enemy side. Possible extra powers and a more dangerous passive.
    Braggart: similar to a noncom officer, maybe? Unlike Bellower's brute force and unkillability maybe he focuses more on strengthening his allies, particularly the melee ones, as well as high armor for soaking up hits and vicious break so he can be in the thick of the battle turning the tide.
    Walker: Braggart's slinger counterpart? Maybe an ability for extra range and high strength so she devastates from behind the lines.

These would be their battle abilities. As for out in the real world events, I could see Walker leading raids, Braggart taking the fore in major battles and sacking major cities, and Eyeless coordinating the war behind the lines as tactician and general. Of the three Eyeless would probably be the target you'd have to fight through the others to get to.

But that's just supposition.
    Eyeless sounds like an Arch-Stonesinger to me too; I'd expect magical abilities. Braggart... I'd imagine something similar to the Provoker. Or, maybe, having an ability that boosts his stats (or makes them seem boosted), for one turn or more? Bragging has a generally negative connotation, so maybe its a negative passive (like Splinter). Walker could be an exceptionally long-striding unit, e.g. moving 6 tiles +Exertion. As for Bellower, well... he bellows!

I would like to point out that the "sun stopping" would be a sign that the people of the world are unaware that their planet rotates and are of the primitive mind that the sun is the object that rotates similar to our history. So the sun did not stop the planet either ceased to rotate or has slowed down to a extreme degree causing days and nights to last huge amounts of time. This would also explain the darkness "coming" as the planets rotation being much slower would make night appear as it is creeping forward while on the other side of the planet the day would be just starting. So the darkness that sends the dredge south out of fear is simply night, the game makes mention of them seemingly being starving too, going after a deer early in the game and a ox during the treasure wagon event. They aren't attacking because they are evil, they are attacking because they are desperate and hungry likely running out of resources on the dark side of the planet.

This of course raises a question of what caused the planet's rotation which very well may be the serpent being the most likely cause, as it hints it was meant to kill all life and we saw how powerful it and how it's able to effect the planet so easily smashing giant mountains like nothing. Perhaps it can burrow underground and effect the planet's speed. It also appears to think the Dredge would ruin its "destiny" of killing all life before it can and despite its power seemingly is not a fighter by nature and was meant to kill the planet slowly like a hand over someone's face smothering them out.

I think my theories hold up and may be spoilers to come.

Interesting theories, NuclearShadow I would be wary of introducing scientific explanations to a fantasy world, but they do serve sometimes.

The only small "hole" in your theory is that the darkness (i.e. the long/ever-lasting night [that follows the long/ever-lasting day]) is reported to be spreading from the north, and not from east, as one would expect in a system where the sun moves from east-to-west.

The Dredge being pushed south by starvation is already talked about in the game. However, they don't seem to be relying on green-life (which is affected by day/night cycles) since they are supposed to be living underground and in the frozen northern wastes... So, what do the dredge feed on? And, why are they so ever-hostile (on sight) against human and Varl?

Finally, I agree that the Serpent plays a very important role in the "world-management" of The Banner Saga. I am not sure if it is evil. I think it should just be thought of as a force of nature or destiny...

I had similar ideas that you mention. However, I think the serpent is a reference to the one that describes one of the gods as a serpent in the sun. So, of course, a creature that lived in the sun would have no concept of darkness. Therefore, the night frightens him and he can't reek havoc the way he wants to.

My Own Theory as to the Livelihood of the Gods

I would just like to add my own little theory (don't know whether or not this has been covered yet) but every time you stop and inspect a god stone in the game something positive happens, you get an item or some other form of help. Because of this I do not believe the gods are actually dead, possibly temporarily defeated. To prove this I would point out the event at god stone Marek, I believe it was, correct me if I'm wrong, in which you are given fish scale armor if you allow your caravan to wait at the god stone and collect the seemingly ominous fish scales. Rook even ponders that the caravan is being influenced by some foreign power, and that even he now desires a scale, though this seems ominous, it actually turns out to be rewarding. When all the scales are collected your caravan makes a fish scale coat for you. And if I remember correctly and this was in fact god stone Marek at which this event occurred, Marek is the god of the sea and fish, and his stone is located in the Nordfelling wastes, a land once covered by water. As it seems to me that this stone has the power to influence both you and your villagers, and helps you when you accept it's influence, I can only conclude that Marek is alive and wishes you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazolt View Post
    I would just like to add my own little theory (don't know whether or not this has been covered yet) but every time you stop and inspect a god stone in the game something positive happens, you get an item or some other form of help. [...] I can only conclude that [god] is alive and wishes you well.
    That's an interesting theory. Stoic have been quite harsh about this "The gods are dead" fact, so it might prove a big plot-twist if they are found to be alive and lounging somewhere at their leisure Especially that Loom Mother, who's supposed to be the arch-deity among them. We'll have to wait and see!

Here's a list of the items acquired at the Godstones in the order by which you meet them:
    1. Bjarken Rune -- Hridvaldyr
    2. Five Ring Necklace -- Denglr
    3. Gullinfyri -- Radormyr
    4. Godscale -- Marek
    5. Farthingjord -- Hadrborg
    6. Puzzle box of the Twin Rivers -- Dundr
    7. Vadrun Silver Brooch -- Ingrid
    8. Tistelberry -- Bjorulf (needs Hogun alive)
    9. Stravhs' Whetstone -- Stravhs

Check the wiki for more info on items and godstones

Expanding on the dream Hakon and Mogr have about the ravens leading them off a cliff, I would add that it is possibly an analogy that bears relevance to the Raven mercenary group. It might as well have something to do with Yrsa, whom before the dream burns a Raven whilst Hakon talks with her.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast