Thread: Stoic better not go like this :D

Stoic better not go like this :D

Hey Peeps,

Was just browsing Kickstarter today and saw this post from a popular funded games called Haunts

Have a read of this post:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/331425

Not that its all over for them after being funded but it just shows how bad things can get and that we should be grateful to Stoic for their dedication to the project

Stelly

I'm really glad the first/only kickstarter I've backed has been this good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes_dePayens View Post
    I'm really glad the first/only kickstarter I've backed has been this good so far.
    same here.

ditto
    you're indifferent to suffering, insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. The daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split-seconds and instant replays. You are madness, Diana, virulent madness, and everything you touch dies with you. Well, not me. Not while I can still feel pleasure and pain and love.

Seconded.
    My beard is augmented.

Thirded

(although I think it should be fourthed...)
    Thanks Ian for the avatar! From:
    http://gaelvin.tumblr.com/

Haunts has a great aesthetic, and a lot of promise, despite the awful setback of running out of cash and having your programmers all leave (to take care of themselves, their careers, and families, to be fair). I backed the project, albeit for only ten bucks, and have been trying to help Rick at Mob Rules Games get the project back on track (as have dozens of others out of the twelve-hundred backers who gathered to bring this game to life). In a way, Kickstarter is responsible for all the good in this game... without it, we wouldn't have an idiosyncratically nifty-looking, alpha-quality game with all art assets, music, and sound design complete.

Rick's volunteers (mostly backers) need to debug the game engine, and complete level-design scripting and follow on with playtesting. I suggested running an alphafunding program through Desura as the game approaches beta quality (assuming Scott and the team at Desura find it to be in adequate shape, and are interested in adding it to their catalog). Assuming that his volunteer army can begin to execute on his game design documentation (a big assumption, but there are dozens of strongly interested backers), then there is a good chance that a paid beta (through Desura or similar) can raise enough funds to bring a contractor on board to help push it through the last mile.

The truth is, $25K is a tiny amount of money to produce any game, and the team benefited from a grant to help bring the game this far (about $40K), for a total budget of $65K to produce. This is still a tiny budget to produce a game; even basic mobile titles tend to start in the $100-200K range on the low end, unless they're built from the ground up as a passion project by a tiny team working for free (or worse, for free plus spending their meager savings on gear, hosting, and other startup costs). Rick underestimated the magnitude of effort required (supposedly, they feel that it's ~150hrs of engineering from solid beta). Most game designers undershoot the time requirement, some vastly so, and the lions share of video game projects never see the light of day.

Not all the news is bad, however. Here are the next three happier updates following the one posted at the top of the thread.

Status, transparency, admission of mistakes made due to fear and shame:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/331778

In-depth gameplay description, showing the hard work they have put in:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/332493

And a solid path forward, available since it is a unique project with a unique charter:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/334371

Here's hoping we'll see a neat turn-based, creepily stylized, two-player Haunts game next year for $5-10 or so! Their alpha gameplay video looks real neat, and I'm still excited to see how it turns out.

All for all, it's something that can happen and might. Yeah it would suck but for me it's always been a risk i accepted with KS projects. RPS did a good article on it if i remember well.

In the end i thought the transparency dedication and honesty of the creator were amazing, in his place i would probably just have disappeared, left a goodbye note and gone onto something different. It must have been tough and i'm happy he chose to stick with it.

So, fingers crossed for the banner saga!
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

I've backed 13 projects on KS, 8 of them games. FTL is the only one that's been finished and delivered, but I have high hopes for the rest of them, Banner Saga included.

Some projects fail, looks like it's a real risk!

Kickstarter is a crowd funding site. and part of that is giving your money to people you have no real guarantee that they can or will deliver. So far The Banner Saga is the only project I have backed, but if I had had the funds at the time I would have backed Wastelands 2, Project Eternity and a few others. Most kickstarters that are not serious or outright scams are pretty easy to spot, but if you are unsure then do some checking up of your own before your throw in your money. Not that this seems like a scam, I would rather think they ran into unexpected trouble which happens all the time in the industry.
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

I backed Xenonauts and would say there's a maybe 70% chance that will ever be a finished product. Pretty good odds there.

I would have backed Factions if I had seen it in time. The talent behind this project is pretty amazing.

'Star Citizen'? I love space-sims, but no. I do not have much confidence in Chris Roberts, even if he does have six million dollars to play with.

I think I'm done with these 'pre-funding' deals. At least till a year goes by and we see if some of these projects actually get done.

I backed a board game, this, and a RPG accessory manufacturer.

The board game (Schlock Mercenary: Capital Offensive) arrived with only minor delays due to errant proofs at the manufacturer, and was everything I'd wanted. (For the record: Banner Saga but with guns, a mechanic where luck replaces 50% of the skill, a great sense of humor, and equally short matches.)

The RPG accessories seem to be moving along well.

Banner Saga, of course, is already well worth my money--even though I kicked in for the single player storytelling and rarely like online multiplayer. So yeah--when the next truly shiny game comes along, from creators who have good credentials, I'll be quite willing to kick in some more money. Funds permitting, of course.