Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The big question

The big question

How DO those vikings keep that banner from dragging through the snow? Viking anti-gravity? Lighter-than-air cloth? Millions of trained mosquitoes?

Probably just a massive dose of artistic license, but inquiring vikings want to know!

They only walk upwind. Keeps them strong.
    Writing is 5% talent and 95% not being distracted by the internet.

Really skilled ribbon dancers.

All those followers are solely there to blow their breath into the air to keep the flag afloat. That's why they need so many giants in their retinue.

They aren't actually walking; rather, they move the universe around them. The resulting static electricity is a side effect

I believe Douglas Adams has already addressed this question:

ARTHUR:
    Ah. Look, the statue, how did you get the cup bit to stay where it is unsupported?

WISE OLD BIRD:
    It stays there because itís artistically right.
    ó Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, episode 10

Well, up in those cold mountains the wind never seems to stop. Talking from personal experience.

Its so cold there, the Banner is actually frozen =)

I think that at the bottom of the pole there is a hair dryer that blows air from the bottom all the way to the top and through some holes to ensure that it always looks like its blowing in the wind! (patent pending )
    Last edited by stelly; 05-01-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Viking weather. They call it a "stiff breeze" for a reason.

Also, Torgamous, nice call on only walking upwind.

Viking awesomeness. Plain and simple.

Also the weather in the North works like this: Whatever is the most uncomfortable weather possible is guaranteed to last as long as you literally feel you can take it no more, then it changes just so that it keeps you from moving and can torment you for years to come.

So The Banner is kept flapping by the cold winter winds blowing at tremendous speeds - guaranteed to freeze your face off.

Little known fact vikings had mastered the lower levels of the clint eastwood stare, so all they have to do is look at the banner to keep it up.
    you're indifferent to suffering, insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. The daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split-seconds and instant replays. You are madness, Diana, virulent madness, and everything you touch dies with you. Well, not me. Not while I can still feel pleasure and pain and love.

The same way the flag moved on the moon? :P

I know viking lands are pretty far up north, but I'm reasonably certain they still have normal Earth gravity there.

That's just it, Flickerdart, they're pretty far up north. The flag is held aloft by aurora borealis localized entirely within the caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBobWiley View Post
    The same way the flag moved on the moon? :P
    That would be inertia + low gravity - air resistance.

I'm pretty sure the banner is as Viking as any guy in the caravan, such is why it doesn't fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    That would be inertia + low gravity - air resistance.
    Actually, they used a copper rod to stop the flag from falling, then wiggled that about to make it wave.

they are so far north the air is extremely thin (mountain top) the banner is actually made of very thin metal, therefore it moves very easily and stays up, not as cool as viking themed ideas, but for some reason the picture of it was stuck in my head so I decided to post :\

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    Actually, they used a copper rod to stop the flag from falling, then wiggled that about to make it wave.
    So what you're saying is that, if we ever need some quick crappy weapons, we can trade our banner's wavyness for them?
    Writing is 5% talent and 95% not being distracted by the internet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast