Thread: Silver Arrow and Eyeless Rift

Silver Arrow and Eyeless Rift

I do not know if this is a bug or intentional, but I can confirm that the Eyeless Rift item (particularly the zero-percent deflection chance bonus) does not work in combination with the Silver Arrow against Bellower. If it worked, I could definitely see this as being exploitative: walk up to Bellower at full armor, shoot him for 1 strength damage with a zero percent deflection chance to deliver the Silver Arrow. But otherwise, I'm struggling to see the value of the Eyeless Rift at all. How often is it going to be worthwhile to deliver a single point of strength damage to a target with high armor?

Also, when using the Eyeless Rift enemies still show up with an (incorrect) non-zero chance to be deflected when targeted. This part is certainly a bug.

The value, I think, lies in the ability to lower the damage output of extremely armored targets to the point where they cannot cripple your own units. Taking two turns to sufficiently armor-break one of the 20/13 Dredge leaves that Dredge an opening in which it can attack (and maul!) a low-armor unit (AKA human). The Eyeless Rift allows you (with some exertion) to snipe it down to 20/9, a non-issue.

All that being said... I've never thought it worth using. xD

But I can see the reasoning...! Maybe...!

In a "go for the throat" party (siege archer, thrashers, warrior varls, mender etc.) this item could be good to fill the missing spot and have a party that ignores armor.

Toskk, I can see your point, but the core of that battle is just to fire a 100% shot at Bello (not kill him). To do that, normally, you'll have to get into a lot of trouble to reduce his ARM by approximately 9-10 points. Now, using the Eyeless Rift would make that battle ridiculously easy, finish-able on first turn: go up, fire, that's it. It is kinda inconsistent, but it's meant to make that battle more... memorable

Now, showing 20-90% when using the Rift on regular enemies is surely a UI-bug. It should be reported to the respective thread (the "Sticky" one in the Longhouse forum).
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Hi Aleonymous,

Oh I agree, it would definitely trivialize that particular fight.. although of course there's the much-tougher round 2 to deal with after that, anyway. The item, however, is a 20-renown investment.. making it more than a little lackluster if the inability to use it against Bellower was intentional. Rensei makes an interesting suggestion about using the 100% hit chance bonus on a high-exertion hero, but even that seems to favor using a Bowmaster class with some kind of willpower item, rather than Alette with an Eyeless Rift (as she'd run out of willpower too quickly to be very effective).

With regards to reporting the UI issue, does anyone happen to know if the UI bug of showing deflection chance even when it should be zero also happens with the Bowmaster class (and any other item with the bonus)? I wasn't sure if the UI bug aspect was specific to the item, or to the mechanic.

You know, there was talk back in Factions "Glory Days" that the metagame would eventually shift to taking 70-80-90% (willpower-loaded) shots against high-STR enemies (like Varl Warriors), early in the game. Things never go there, because there's safer ways to win. But... this kinda of mechanic can be devastating (as Rensei hinted). How about that 1STR/3EX/3WP unit, equipped with the Rift, killing your 18ARM/4STR shieldbanger?

About this UI-bug -- I haven't come across the Rift, yet, so can't comment really. As far as I know, the Bowmaster's Bird-of-Prey has a 100% chance to hit, so it just shows damage indications, no chances...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I'd drop my 5c into the fire that some passive/active abilities (like Heavy Impact) can benefit from this kind of item.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul