Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: silent defense of Stoic

silent defense of Stoic

I think it is important to show our support to Stoic and their creation the banner saga. Against this trademark issue by voting with our wallets (buying and or recommending the banner saga to people to buy), creating a petition to show support for the company its product and the brand name and by us fans not making their legal battle any harder then it has to be. Thank you for your time.
    you're indifferent to suffering, insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. The daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split-seconds and instant replays. You are madness, Diana, virulent madness, and everything you touch dies with you. Well, not me. Not while I can still feel pleasure and pain and love.

You could have posted the link to the mentioned trademark issue or something...
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Here it comes stupid american patent system trolling again

What would they do to this one then?
    Last edited by netnazgul; 01-22-2014 at 02:47 AM. Reason: doublepost
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Quote Originally Posted by mcloud357 View Post
    I think it is important to show our support to Stoic and their creation the banner saga. Against this trademark issue by voting with our wallets (buying and or recommending the banner saga to people to buy), creating a petition to show support for the company its product and the brand name and by us fans not making their legal battle any harder then it has to be. Thank you for your time.
    I am all for helping Stoic. Do you think a petition would help?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Its better then doing nothing. Unless of course stoic says no.
    you're indifferent to suffering, insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. The daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split-seconds and instant replays. You are madness, Diana, virulent madness, and everything you touch dies with you. Well, not me. Not while I can still feel pleasure and pain and love.

another one: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...e-banner-saga/

I'm all for some action regarding this, is stoic allows for it.

I saw this on the RPS forum and already sent a mail to King ( https://about.king.com/about/contact ) for all the good it does.

I am at a loss what to disbelieve first - that the Mericans would be crazy enough to give such rights on a word with ancient roots, or that King is going for douche-baggery of such incredible proportions.

Madhouse world indeed.

For what it's worth, for my part, you have my full support Stoic.
    Last edited by Mhorhe; 01-22-2014 at 10:31 AM.

That is quite ridiculous in my opinion, cant believe companies have the balls and the lack of principles to try to pull that out.... I really don't think they can manage to pull it trough, so i would not worry that much about it.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

King has the money for lawyers so even if Stoic's stance has more sense and is governed by the rules of logic (in contrary to King's) it still might be to expensive to fight them off in court.

but the thing is, if the sharks behind king.com decide to go on with it how can Stoic defend the lawsuit ? would they have enough resources to fight back ?

it looks like most of these are settled just because one side does not have money enough to battle in court. i don't live in the US, but it seems that's how justice is imparted there.
    should we start suggesting alternative names ? does it mean TBS won't ever see the light in iOS or tablet markets ?

i believe this guy has some experience with the issue : https://twitter.com/notch/status/425544774397870080

Another place discussing this topic can be found here. https://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=755651

Now people are already mad and it is a good motivation and this can be seen on other forums and article comments. So it is important that we get organized so if we have to show our support for stoic or something else it comes as a combined shout of viking protest and its loud and direct and most effective.

this may be the twitter account of one of the minds behind king.com games : https://twitter.com/tommy_palm don't know if people can reach to him though.

by the way, these people are fully aware of the whole meaning of the word "saga"; most of them are swedish and it is a commonly used term in that language.
    Last edited by balnoisi; 01-22-2014 at 12:11 PM.

I've read on other sites of people buying the banner saga in protest. On the legal front there are probably some lawyers whom would do the case pro bono just for the press it happens with other types of cases I'm not sure about trademark cases but you never know.

<< In a statement issued to Eurogamer, the casual games company defended its objection to the Norse strategy RPG and said it simply needed to contend the name to protect its own IP.

"King has not and is not trying to stop Banner Saga from using its name," a spokesperson explained. "We do not have any concerns that Banner Saga is trying build on our brand or our content. However, like any prudent company, we need to take all appropriate steps to protect our IP, both now and in the future.

"In this case, that means preserving our ability to enforce our rights in cases where other developers may try to use the Saga mark in a way which infringes our IP rights and causes player confusion. If we had not opposed Banner Saga's trade mark application, it would be much easier for real copy cats to argue that their use of 'Saga' was legitimate.

"This is an important issue for King because we already have a series of games where 'Saga' is key to the brand which our players associate with a King game; Candy Crush Saga, Bubble Witch Saga, Pet Rescue Saga, Farm Heroes Saga and so on. All of these titles have already faced substantive trademark and copyright issues with clones." >>

Very good then. If that matter remains true, then this subject has come to a close. Cheers.

There's much more outrage out there about that than I would have expected (righteously so!).

A petition is already up, with 4.2k signatures at the point of writing, but not about The Banner Saga in particular but about King's ambition to trademark 'candy' and 'saga'.

Looks like King made a huge PR fcuk up, while TBS got some good and free attention from the press. If everything goes well TBS gets to keep their name and a sales spike just when interwebs halted the flow of reviews, guides, gameplays, hands-ons, head-overs, feet-zig-zags etc. Lets hope for the best!

I've never played Candy Crush (Saga), and whenever I've heard it mentioned by anyone, the word "saga" never came up. It doesn't seem like "saga" is as central to their game's identity as they are claiming.

Also, I find it interesting that Stoic has had Factions on Steam for over a year (with the word "saga" in it's title, too), but King made no move against it's use until now.
    For cards and art prints, visit my Celtic Art Print Gallery: http://ian-herriott.artistwebsites.com/
    "Like" me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...51218704893987
    And view all of my Banner Saga Crest Designs on tumblr: http://gaelvin.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by balnoisi View Post
    << In a statement issued to Eurogamer, the casual games company defended its objection to the Norse strategy RPG and said it simply needed to contend the name to protect its own IP.

"King has not and is not trying to stop Banner Saga from using its name," a spokesperson explained. "We do not have any concerns that Banner Saga is trying build on our brand or our content. However, like any prudent company, we need to take all appropriate steps to protect our IP, both now and in the future.

"In this case, that means preserving our ability to enforce our rights in cases where other developers may try to use the Saga mark in a way which infringes our IP rights and causes player confusion. If we had not opposed Banner Saga's trade mark application, it would be much easier for real copy cats to argue that their use of 'Saga' was legitimate.

"This is an important issue for King because we already have a series of games where 'Saga' is key to the brand which our players associate with a King game; Candy Crush Saga, Bubble Witch Saga, Pet Rescue Saga, Farm Heroes Saga and so on. All of these titles have already faced substantive trademark and copyright issues with clones." >>
    Quote Originally Posted by mcloud357 View Post
    Very good then. If that matter remains true, then this subject has come to a close. Cheers.
    Not necessarily. King "only" defending its own IP could still have dire consequences:

1. While not insisting on Stoic changing the name of its game, they still want to prevent Stoic from getting its own trademark on "The Banner Saga" which would leave Stoic vulnerable to their own copy cats and hinder them from reaping the profits of their work. However this begs the question why Stoic only bothers to get a trademark after the game is released (and almost a year after Factions was!)
    2. Moreover judicial proceedings have a tendency towards escalation. PR attempts the opposite. In lawyer's hands the defence of an IP could indeed be taken to the the utmost; and King may still insist on a namechange/stop of sales/shutdown of Factions - just to avoid establishing a precedent.

But that statement on behalf of King certainly should drive their lawyers crazy: I don't know much about US trademark law, but from the application it would appear that the trademark owner has to establish that the rivalling product is "confusingly and deceptively similar" which that inept spokesperson pretty much denied. She even implicitely states that King doesn't consider The Banner Saga to infrige its IP. In other words, she admits that King doesn't believe to have a claim of a trademark infringement against Stoic. I would be amazed if that spokesperson would retain its job.

F***ing insane common law system!

Could we hope from some "official" response from Stoic on this matter, here, at this thread?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast