Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: silent defense of Stoic

I read your posts after posting mine, Balnoisi.

Even if the absurdity of the underlying legal system explains why this might happen, I still believe that it is important that people react. Maybe the laws need changing, I do not know nearly enough to have an opinion on that matter. I do know that the situation is ridiculous and people should express their concern over it if there is to be hope for anything to change.
    Last edited by Rymdkejsaren; 01-23-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

Nobody has posted a link to the Candy Game Jam here so I guess I will

thecandyjam.com

while they may be legally entitled or not to take those actions i am not to say, not an expert, not even an amateur into laws. but one thing i know : there's a difference between registering the full name of your product ( "the banner saga" or "candy crush saga" ) to profit from your work and prevent exploiting; and registering just a single commonly used word ( "saga" ) so you become the exploiter and may even profit from others work ( future licensing of the word ? ).

i find it to be quite the ethical difference. and yes, even businesses should be required to operate under certain ethical limits. those things oughta be regulated.

Rymdkejsaren, i am not very sure about mailing an adress like that one. i may be wrong but i think people in charge of it will just purge the folder and don't break a sweat. for full effect i think such a display of mass rage ( always polite ofc ) should be aimed at where it hurts : specific people. thats why i posted some info on one of the main devs behind King.com games, it was an example. if you can reach the people that make decisions and influence them, they can change things inside their business, take sides, at least make a statement. they might go in the office and say "hey, as a game developer i dont want to become enemies with another fellow dev. boss, let's settle this one". it's just what i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    I have a question, how does Change.org signature system actually work? When i signed the petition it said, 292(signatures) needed, now it says 2,260, does the number needed increases every time a mile-stone(1k, 2.5k, 5k, etc etc) is reached?
    I think that might be how it works.

My educated guess is that people are more likely to sign something seeing only a fraction is need to 'achieve' something.

Petition signed. King's absurd and shady scheme is disgusting.

How is this kind of madness even possible? How can somebody license a word? I'd understand if it were some special word invented for a certain product, but this is not so.

Lawyers and politicians... I hope there's a special place in hell reserved for them.

Its the sixth circle I believe
    you're indifferent to suffering, insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. The daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split-seconds and instant replays. You are madness, Diana, virulent madness, and everything you touch dies with you. Well, not me. Not while I can still feel pleasure and pain and love.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    How is this kind of madness even possible? How can somebody license a word? I'd understand if it were some special word invented for a certain product, but this is not so.

Lawyers and politicians... I hope there's a special place in hell reserved for them.
    Oi, I'm a law student and most lawyers I know would be disgusted by this stupidity. I know I certainly am. We're not all soulless.

And we definitely should spread the word about this. The more people raise hell over this idiocy, the better.

Unfortunately it seems the dark side lawyers are more powerful in this universe. We're getting more and more of this crap every year, this is just the tip of the iceberg. The parliaments keep pushing through laws and regulations that are designed to favour the guys with the most money, and the corporate suits and their lawyer lackeys are laughing on their way to the bank.

The Banner Saga and that King game have exactly one thing in common - they're both video games. It's simply madness to claim that the Stoic guys are breaking some license or trademark or whatever in this case.

It really annoys me to see a brilliant small company such as Stoic having to suffer from such injustice and stupidity.

I think I read somewhere that Stoic actually filed their trademark for the Banner Saga previous to king.com's filing for the word Saga. Regardless, this is ridiculous. Although I understand measures need to be taken to protect your IP, I would hope that they could recognize that in cases like this it could be very damaging to indie start-ups who may have to rebrand themselves with a very small marketing budget. Lucky for Stoic, there has been a huge outcry of support, and this probably would help them.

I guess this is just a side effect of the new digital age. The price that comes with the newfound indie accessibility is that it is also really easy for any old joe to create a deceptively similar game to hope that a confused customer pays for their trash on accident. I mean just search Google Play, or the iOS store and they are riddled with knockoffs from anything popular. It's sad to see it, but king.com set out to protect themselves then ended up (probably unintentionally) being the bully themselves. This is the world we live in; politics, women, and now gaming fail to accompany their actions with logic or compassion. I would hope that they would recognize what they are doing and set themselves straight, but alas I am still young and na´ve to the stupidity of this world.
    Last edited by Slimsy Platypus; 01-24-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimsy Platypus View Post
    This is the world we live in; politics, women, and now gaming fail to accompany their actions with logic or compassion. I would hope that they would recognize what they are doing and set themselves straight, but alas I am still young and na´ve to the stupidity of this world.
    i hear you.

Essentially, as I understand it, under American law you have to fight every potential breach of your trademarks, or putative trademarks, that are brought to your notice. I don't think King necessarily want these trademarks, but they've had to fight this case in order to protect their position. They're worried about people reskinning their game, calling it Candy Crush story, or Sweetie Crush saga, and selling it cheap.

I would remind everyone there was a fan Banner-Saga based derivative of Candy Crush, was there not? King's concerns are not totally ridiculous.

According to what I've read, Stoic have had the trademark filed for quite some time, but King have kept up objections to it being approved - that's why the trademark still isn't registered.

Incidentally, the dispute is the subject of today's Penny Arcade comic.

Edit:
    Incidentally, give us lawyers a break! We don't make these stupid rules. We just game the system for the benefit of our clients. When your client is a victim of torture, or they can't read, or voiceless, or arguing with illusory demons, or slowly losing their mind to a degenerative disease, then they need all the gaming of the system that they can get (all examples I have personally seen). There are many heroic lawyers all over the world fighting terrible injustice with poor or no pay. Every year lawyers around the world are killed for trying to get justice for their client. Even in supposedly civilized countries.

There are some very real erosions of judicial and legal protections, and this prejudice against lawyers doesn't help. Most lawyers that I know are principled people who go into their job to help people.

Sure, lawyers aren't saints, and many of them are in it for the money or a stable career (ha!) but please don't write all lawyers off because you disapprove of the conduct of some.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 01-25-2014 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Defend my noble profession

This is the world we live in; politics, women, and now gaming fail to accompany their actions with logic or compassion.

Okay, maybe all of you lawyers aren't evil incarnates.

But I refuse to adjust my opinion about politicians!

Okay, maybe all of you lawyers aren't evil incarnates.

But I refuse to adjust my opinion about politicians!
    Fair enough.

This is the world we live in; politics, women, and now gaming fail to accompany their actions with logic or compassion. I would hope that they would recognize what they are doing and set themselves straight, but alas I am still young and na´ve to the stupidity of this world.
    Wait, what? Did you just intend to say that women in this world fail to accompany their actions with logic or compassion?
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

https://venturebeat.com/2014/01/27/ki...cloning-games/

at least for the first time he agrees they cloned a game, and it was wrong. he kinda says that.

still i fail to see how this can end other than : king.com will get their words TMd, and then they will kindly allow Stoic to use them under a license.

Quote Originally Posted by mcloud357 View Post
    Its the sixth circle I believe
    Fraud is the 8th circle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3