Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Favorite Viking-Themed Films/Shows/Shorts?

Favorite Viking-Themed Films/Shows/Shorts?

Personally my favorite movie of all time, let alone favorite viking film, is The 13th Warrior.

There's also a great animated short on YouTube called The Saga of Bjorn.

Valhalla Rising

It's a weird film, I warn you, but I liked the atmosphere & photography a LOT
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    There was a really comprehensive thread on this in the steam boards

https://steamcommunity.com/app/237990...6742426663801/

I think Valhalla Rising's amazing potential was squandered because of the bizarre, artsy direction the Director took it in. One-Eye was awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by Korica View Post
    I think Valhalla Rising's amazing potential was squandered because of the bizarre, artsy direction the Director took it in.
    Come to think of it, that's perhaps why I personally liked the movie But, yeah, I know what you mean. It would be something different then, yet equally viking!

Beowulf & Grendel Beneath the Legend Legend Lies The Tale...
    Last edited by Rocksitter; 01-27-2014 at 05:45 PM.

The 13th Warrior was an epic movie. Haven't watched Beowulf, is it good?

Btw, not movie but History Channel's Vikings is probably the best show about Vikings.

Killing people for nothing! Best way to describe them. No offence if you are a Scandinavian

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbogha View Post
    Haven't watched Beowulf, is it good?
    There are a ton of films about Beowulf, so I definitely recommend the original epic poem before delving into the movies. I didn't think the reading was particularly heavy and the story is quite good. The more recent film adaptions of Beowulf take creative liberties with the interpretation of the story, but I think a couple of the twists and tweaks that were added are interesting. The critics gave the 2005 and 2007 films average reviews, like somewhere around 3 stars or 4 stars.

I saw this adaptation of Beowulf (2007) some years ago. It uses a computer-animation/motion-capture technique that I found weirdly interesting. Can't comment on how close it is to the poem, but it was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyverge View Post
    There are a ton of films about Beowulf, so I definitely recommend the original epic poem before delving into the movies. I didn't think the reading was particularly heavy and the story is quite good. The more recent film adaptions of Beowulf take creative liberties with the interpretation of the story, but I think a couple of the twists and tweaks that were added are interesting. The critics gave the 2005 and 2007 films average reviews, like somewhere around 3 stars or 4 stars.
    Thanks for the reply, Dyverge. Not sure if I can find the story of Beowulf. Not so popular in my country. So, it seems, my only chance is the watching the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    I saw this adaptation of Beowulf (2007) some years ago. It uses a computer-animation/motion-capture technique that I found weirdly interesting. Can't comment on how close it is to the poem, but it was fun to watch.
    Yes, Aleo. That was the movie I was asking. Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna add that movie to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbogha View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Dyverge. Not sure if I can find the story of Beowulf. Not so popular in my country. So, it seems, my only chance is the watching the movie.
    Ah, I see. Beowulf may be available on the Project Gutenberg website. They digitize and archive a lot of older, culturally significant literary works that have expired copyrights. They also have a collection of copyrighted literary works where the copyright holder has given permission for unlimited non-commercial worldwide use. Beowulf seems like something they would have.

The poem includes dialogue that questions the reliability of Beowulf's account of events, which is what I think inspires filmmakers to create their own twist on the story. I liked the 2007 film because it was surprisingly dark. The first half of it is close to the poem's timeline of events, but the second half is more loosely based. Note the 2007 film isn't the one that Rocksitter mentioned earlier in this thread, so maybe check out both. I think Rocksitter was referencing the 2005 film with Gerard Butler as Beowulf.

Dont exactly know if this is under the viking cathegory, but it sure is really cool: https://youtu.be/vxR-oKkwJLI
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

That was genuinely awesome, Yellow! Lots of stuff in common with TBS too: Vikings, rotoscoped animation, day/night allegory etc. For the record, the short film (8 mins) is called "EXORDIUM - a rotoscoped fantasy epic by Gorgonaut".

Russian film Viking was released month ago. Quality movie with good actors.

Plot:
    "Kievan Rus, late 10th century. After the death of his father, Svyatoslav I, ruler of Kievan Rus, the young prince Vladimir is forced into exile across the frozen sea in Sweden to escape his treacherous half-brother Yaropolk, who has murdered his other brother Oleg and conquered the territory of Kievan Rus. The old warrior Sveneld convinces Vladimir to assemble a force of Viking mercenaries led by a Swedish chieftain, hoping to reconquer Kiev from Yaropolk."

Its not about vikings at all (Russian film's titles is a strange thing), but about the beginning of the Christianization of Rus. Reccomended to see and meet with early Russian/Belarus/Ukraine history.

Hmmm, seems interesting but its IMDB ratings ain't so good (54% on 800 votes).

Here some Viking/celtic/nordic/slavic music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...208B456441183E Some of the songs you might recognise from The Witcher 3
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

17.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #17
    Like others have said, I thought The 13th Warrior was excellent. Very entertaining and great atmosphere.