Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Promising Kickstarters

Hey Guys,

Have you seen the awesome Expeditions: Conquistador? I think it's something backers of The Banner Saga may love, so if you have a minute please take a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s-conquistador

Cheers,

Daniel.

RPGWatch has now written a preview for Expeditions: Conquistador, it's quite positive, so if anyone is unsure about the game, check it out!

https://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article...5&ref=0&id=505

Daniel.

Ooh, that looks nifty. Dropped $15 on Expeditions. They still have $10,000 to go, and not a lot of time in which to get it, so it might not even pan out and that would be sad indeed.

Obsidian's kickstarter, Project Eternity, is up :https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...oject-eternity

What the hell does Obsidian need a Kickstarter for? They're already a major game development studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    What the hell does Obsidian need a Kickstarter for? They're already a major game development studio.
    Agreed. That one feels almost as abusive of Kickstarter as the Penny Arcade project, which was basically a giant embarrassing joke on Kickstarter itself. It's not like ARPG is a niche genre like old-school point-n-click adventure games, or certain cel animated turn-based, story-driven RPGs like a certain project we all love.

Attention adventure game fans! Do any of you remember a series of old-school adventure games called Broken Sword? They're built by a small adventure game studio in the UK called Revolution Software.

They've gone to Kickstarter to be able to fund a new Broken Sword adventure in 2D with 2.5D cel-shaded character animations, but with the old-school 2D charm of Broken Sword 1 & 2.

If you love adventure games, or are just curious, check out:

Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse

They were favorites of mine in the 90's, and this time, they're committing to PC/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS, including super high resolution backgrounds and animations (to accommodate the iPad retina display).

Obsidian is not as major as you may think...they're "surviving" most of the time. And working without publisher, without all the industry limitations and pressure might be a good reason to use kickstarter, even for an established studio...

Arakion looks interesting.

Good news for the DRM-free crowd, Obsidian's Project Eternity is now offered on GOG.

Still, I must admit to feeling a bit let down that Obsidian went with a "typical" fantasy setting. It appears they're going to be taking a standard fantasy setting and fleshing it out more than most games do (e.g. different ethnic groups for the different races/species) rather than do a whole new setting and genre (science fiction anyone? ).

Also, no turn-based? You'd think that'd be a no brainer since they're directly pandering to hardcore PC WRPG fans.

At the very least, we will find out if their games' reputation for bugginess really has been caused by publisher constraints.

I'm starting to think that publishers are responsible for alot of problems/bugs games seem to have. An Obsidian example being Kotor II. Everything was fine until the end where it seemed like the dev team had been thrown into a situation right out of high school. Where you are on the final question of a test which you know the answer to but the teacher says you have 20 seconds left and you cobble together a bullshit answer as best you can and now you have no time to go back and check your work.

Conclave is into its last days and could really do with some love. They currently have a free beta up and running at https://www.playconclave.com

It’s a roleplay game, heavily inspired by tabletop, intended for those of us who enjoy D&D etc. but don’t have time to actually get around a table and roll some dice very regularly. To that end it’s primarily designed to be played in asynchronous multiplayer - teaming up with others and firing off your turns in coffee breaks and other spare moments. It also has decisions during the quests that the party can vote on - choose your own adventure stylee.

The beta is fairly basic (there’s tons of stuff they’re planning to implement, top of the list being animation, sound, more elaborate quests decisions and character customisation) The writing is really solid and the combat can get nice and tactical, and it’s easy to drop in and out of parties so I’ve been having a lot of fun just forming up different class combinations with various friends and experimenting!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Still, I must admit to feeling a bit let down that Obsidian went with a "typical" fantasy setting. It appears they're going to be taking a standard fantasy setting and fleshing it out more than most games do (e.g. different ethnic groups for the different races/species) rather than do a whole new setting and genre (science fiction anyone? ).
    Yeah, I'm not exactly inspired thus far, hoping some updates that expand on what they're planning will ignite my enthusiasm. On the other hand, there have been a couple of hints about firearms and explosives, so it could be more 16th century-esque than medieval which would be neat. And from the way Josh Sawyer has been talking about it on SA and elsewhere, it sounds like they really want to dig into those classic fantasy archetypes and explore how they might actually come about, rather than just throwing in the same old tropes without any forethought.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Given they had to have a round of layoffs a few months back, I don't think they're exactly flush with cash. Not to mention they're pretty much the poster-child for getting screwed by publishers. Sure if someone at Ubisoft has a passion project to do they can use their own damn money, but most mid-size studios that aren't directly attached to a publisher don't turn much of a profit.

Kickstarter 'aint just for unknowns (in fact the argument could be made that it's not best-suited to unknowns anyways, crowdsourcing without a crowd is hard), its also for projects that won't find the money anywhere else. I'd say a fantasy RPG with no sexy license or gimmicky hook, using a bunch of old school mechanics and with an aggressively anti-console stance fits that bill pretty well I think.
    Last edited by Illessa; 09-20-2012 at 11:25 AM.

I am so looking forward to this game Broken Sword 5.... and the rewards are GREAT !!
    Last edited by Monty; 09-21-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Yeah I am really excited about this KS. I loved the old games! And it it quite amazing what they have done so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggers View Post
    Attention adventure game fans! Do any of you remember a series of old-school adventure games called Broken Sword? They're built by a small adventure game studio in the UK called Revolution Software.

They've gone to Kickstarter to be able to fund a new Broken Sword adventure in 2D with 2.5D cel-shaded character animations, but with the old-school 2D charm of Broken Sword 1 & 2.

If you love adventure games, or are just curious, check out:

Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse

They were favorites of mine in the 90's, and this time, they're committing to PC/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS, including super high resolution backgrounds and animations (to accommodate the iPad retina display).

Me three. I am a sucker for beautiful adventure games and Broken Sword looks really good so far. Plus there's the nostalgia factor.

Its not a kickstarter but bards tale is out on android! (Great game but very buggy on my tf700)

Pledged to Conclave, seems like a neat effort.

Edit: Hooray! They were barely over the goal, but they made it.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 09-22-2012 at 11:17 PM.

The ARMS Masters! It's a 2d animated TV show pilot that will also help create entertainment jobs in Detroit. They only need to raise another 3 or so grand.

Nexus 2.

From the guys that brought us the first part.

And the first part, in my opinion, was and is the best tactical game in space.

I really like them to gather more because i waited for sequel right from the time i finished a first game, so approximately 7 years

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast