Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Promising Kickstarters

Actually I am considering backing this one. Its art style reminds me Mike Mignola a lot .

Quote Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
    Actually I am considering backing this one.
    Me too. It will be nice to see a game that treats dungeon-crawling and demon/undead/horror-fighting in a realistic way! I hope it won't be too scary, so that chickens like me can play it at night (I don't like horror/thriller movies at all...)
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Yeh I came here to post about the Darkest Dungeon. It looks awesome, the team seems to bring the same kind of dedication as Stoic. And that is saying something! I have backed it and I really look forwards to see how it turns out.
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

Ah ha ha ha I also came here to post about the Darkest Dungeon. (Hey, Rymd!)

Please contribute! Lots of exciting stretch goals on the horizon, and the game seriously looks tailor made for the Banner Saga crowd!

Darkest Dungeon looks awesome. Havent backed a game before, is it usual that they dont post estimated release dates?

I'll probably jump into it when it's in its Early Access stage, but will keep an eye out for it. Another ks-game that is close to full release is Age of Decadence which I'm really looking forward to.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keithlee/duelyst

Turn-based strategy for competative play that looks very interesting.
    RK/Magnus on Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Rymdkejsaren View Post
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keithlee/duelyst

Turn-based strategy for competative play that looks very interesting.
    Thanks RK. Raven brought it to our attention, in the chat, a week ago. Seems like it just got funded, with another 20+ days to go. It's not really my cup of tea (competitive play), but I like the pixel-art and the design/setting. But, the $20 for the game seem a little too much... TBS was $10!

I love competative play and games that are made for it myself, and pixel art is a big plus. $20 seems to be the standard for most basic levels on kickstarters these days, I have actually supported three lately at that level. Here is another one that sound very interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-original-x-co
    RK/Magnus on Twitch

Thanks for the link Rymdkejsaren. $20 is the standard base level for most videogames I see on kickstarter these days. I recently backed Darkest Dungeon and Unsung Story, which had base levels around $20.

$20 seems to be the standard for most basic levels on kickstarters these days
    Quote Originally Posted by quartex View Post
    $20 is the standard base level for most videogames I see on kickstarter these days. I recently backed Darkest Dungeon and Unsung Story, which had base levels around $20.
    Indeed. DD opened at $15, as did Duelyst. But, the latter called that tier "Early Bird" and thus forced late-comers to get into the $20 tier... Humm Hummm...

About the emerging pixel-art trend: I like it, mostly for nostalgia's sake. I also believe that it implicitly forces a game to have good gameplay in order to survive the competition... However, I do agree somewhat with the "scepticals" that suggest that it is a cheap trick to cut down on visual-art budget... What do you think?

Well there is good pixel art and bad pixel art. Making it look good with animations is no small task.

Besides, would you rather have a game with good game-play and pixel art, or no game at all? It seems like a good way to cut down development cost for smaller studios is to use a simpler graphics style. Paradoxically, limiting what the graphics are capable of delivering on a visual level also makes it easier to implement more complex game mechanics. If you do not have to make advanced 3D animations and make 3D objects interact with each other for each mechanic you implement that means you have much more swinging room.
    RK/Magnus on Twitch

Paradoxically, limiting what the graphics are capable of delivering on a visual level also makes it easier to implement more complex game mechanics. If you do not have to make advanced 3D animations and make 3D objects interact with each other for each mechanic you implement that means you have much more swinging room.
    Is there anything more complex than interacting game mechanics in 3D? Just kidding, I understand what you mean, and it's more-or-less what I wanted to say with the phrase "implicitly forces a game to have good gameplay".

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today is the awkward title of an intriguing, dark point-and-click adventure game currently on Kickstarter. I love the stark, angular art style.

The Great Wave, a world-shaking catastrophe, has plunged humanity back into the dark ages. A mysterious plague spreads over the land, granting people psychic powers... before dissolving them. You play Michael, a "Blankhead" who can remember nothing of his past, and little of the events surrounding The Great Wave.

Check out the playable demo on the Dead Synchronicity Kickstarter page. (There's an extended demo available for project backers.)

I love competative play and games that are made for it myself, and pixel art is a big plus. $20 seems to be the standard for most basic levels on kickstarters these days, I have actually supported three lately at that level. Here is another one that sound very interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-original-x-co
    Great catch! I am also really into competitive play, especially online squad-based pvp games. Although, chaos reborn does have asynchronous battles, and I'm not really liking that aspect. I actually came to post about DUELYST (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keithlee/duelyst) but I guess someone caught it first xD I found it on steam greenlight.

If anyone else has games that are very pro-competitive online PVP, and are squad-based, please recommend, I'd love to check it out.

P.S. Quick question - can I pay via paypal for kickstarting?

Quote Originally Posted by roder View Post
    P.S. Quick question - can I pay via paypal for kickstarting?
    Please correct me, but I think that PP is not a payment method for KS. The primary model is linked with an Amazon account & payment methods -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Model . That said, some projects give you the chance to support them with PP (during or, usually, after the main-campaign), but you probably don't get all that "green-hipster-ness" that regular KS backers get

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ntures-to-life

Another TBS game, and with some really pretty cartoon sequences (where have I seen that before?).
    RK/Magnus on Twitch

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ntures-to-life

Another TBS game, and with some really pretty cartoon sequences (where have I seen that before?).
    i'm not too much into this specific kind of board/pc games but wow, this one looks really accomplished. and i'm not talking about the cutscenes which are neat too.

Is it my impression, or has the rate of new video-game entries into KS dropped considerably over the last months? Maybe the first fruits of such projects (published typically within 2014) didn't meet the public's expectations? Lets take me as an example: After I came to know TBS (spring of 2013), I started checking other games to back because I regretted missing TBS's KS campaign; there's now ~5 in my list, including a 2 more games that I "backed" using Humble-Bundle widgets, after their KS had ended. I recall that there was some projects I kinda liked, but had to choose other, better, ones. Now, I only find relatively low-quality entries... What's your take on this?

Here's an upcoming one, with more than just a TBS flavor to its battle system: BEDLAM. Looks interesting...

Looks a bit like FTL with turn-based combat. I don't expect the combat to be as nuanced or complicated as The Banner Saga, but the theme looks like fun and I like the idea of being able to control how you explore the bedlam. I already backed the game, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll do okay. I doubt they will raise as much as Stoic did, but they're lacking the really good artwork and then unique theme. I see a lot more post-apocalyptic games (like Wasteland 2) than viking themed games.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast