Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Promising Kickstarters

Many of us here in the frozen north joined the Saga because of the promise of a striking and unexpected art direction. I thought I'd mention another, albeit very different, action/adventure project with RPG elements, whose art direction is also intriguing and quite unique. Lots of copy/paste following here...

Papier is a game that takes place in a world of paper, sketches and ink. Where imagination and adventure are everything!

The game immerses you and your character, a boy named Papier, into a world made of paper that combines the latest of game technology with the aesthetic of hand drawn surfaces. The outdoor scene at the end of the project video demonstrates the unique look and feel of the game world.

While Papier's powers will be essential to success in this world, it is the choices you make that will have far reaching consequences for Papier, the characters he meets, and the unfolding of the world of paper.

The world and story of Papier is for those who really dig worlds of imagination and fantasy. We're super excited about the story, characters, visual style, and entertaining touches that will make this a special game to experience, and we can't wait to share it with you. If we were to mention influences to give you an idea of what to expect, they would be the work of Tim Burton, the whimsically portrayed Hans Christian Andersen (you know the one with Danny Kaye?), and Roald Dahl. You get the idea. All aboard the escapism express!

Here's a great interview with the project creators

Reddit AMA
    Last edited by jaggers; 10-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Two kickstarters I think look really promising have started recently and seem to be doing fairly well. I would definitely recommend checking them out. First is Purge: Sins of Science a sci-fi strategy card game with some awesome art.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ime-strategy-c

The second is Nova Praxis, a sci-fi roleplaying game.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ying?ref=users

Check one or both out!

If anyone grew up playing the Quest for Glory Series like I did, the creators of that have another game project up on Kickstarter and could use some help: Hero-U
    The style will be different than QFG but they're really good about answering questions and concerns in the comments, and it sounds like it will be a lot of fun whether you're an RPG or adventure game fan. And if they do well enough, we can get a series, where what you do in each game will actually carry into the next one as in the Banner Saga.

I found a great comic called Angel of Mercy on KickStarter and this is going to be my last pledge as I've spent too much money on other projects including this one

The artwork is fantastic and there are some great rewards offered.

At the moment the project has gone backwards as someone just pulled out, there are still 47 days to archive the required total which is only $4,500.

At this stage I don't see how it will succeed but it needs to otherwise a great comic will not be finished.

The link is here.

Please have a look and if you are interested I'm on KickStarter as Tom Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatoskr View Post
    If anyone grew up playing the Quest for Glory Series like I did, the creators of that have another game project up on Kickstarter and could use some help: Hero-U
    The style will be different than QFG but they're really good about answering questions and concerns in the comments, and it sounds like it will be a lot of fun whether you're an RPG or adventure game fan. And if they do well enough, we can get a series, where what you do in each game will actually carry into the next one as in the Banner Saga.
    Agreed, this one is awesome. I loved the QfG games that I played... they were different, funny, and exciting. Also, Lori and Corey come on the comment thread and hang out with us all the time! It's a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by jaggers View Post
    Agreed, this one is awesome. I loved the QfG games that I played... they were different, funny, and exciting. Also, Lori and Corey come on the comment thread and hang out with us all the time! It's a lot of fun
    You should play the whole series straight through sometime, there's nothing quite like taking your hero and customizing him and his history across all 5 games. Even if I don't end up getting a GOG code from the kickstarter I'm probably going to buy the 5-set and do just that.

New updates on the Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption!

Linux support announced!

Concept rendering of an in-game screenshot, and new pitch video announced

Lastly, the project has reached 50% funding, with 12 days to go. Personally, I'm really stoked for Linux support :-D

Quest for Glory series was great. The one disappointing thing about the Hero-U series is that character customisation will be quite limited. Locked-in name, locked-in class, locked-in gender, locked-in appearance. I think it will still be fun, but I'm not sure it will live up to QFG the way it's been described in the Kickstarter.

Sui Generis

Sui Generis looks REALLY promising and very unique! I'm shocked there hasn't been more support for it. Here's the Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...63/sui-generis

Quote Originally Posted by sunburnedpenguin View Post
    Sui Generis looks REALLY promising and very unique! I'm shocked there hasn't been more support for it. Here's the Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...63/sui-generis
    Whoa. So pledged for that. This is like Neverwinter Nights meets Skyrim. How much is 20 pounds anyway?

20 pounds should around 25 € / 32 $ I'd say.
    My beard is augmented.

I know there's a lot of tabletop fans on the forums; do any of you like Ars Magica? There's a Kickstarter for an Ars Magica video game going on right now. With seven days to go and being only a quarter of the way there, they could really use the help.

If The Banner Saga is "King of Dragon Pass meets Oregon Trail", then this game is "King of Dragon Pass meets Ars Magica". Basically, you govern a covenant of mages, and have to make decisions that affect its prosperity and the fate of other covenants. It's mostly based on decision rather than statistics.

One of the interesting things about it is that they're being true to the creativity of the magic system in the tabletop game, and allow the same spells to be used in a flexible way. Spells can be used for fairly standard purposes (boosting X, blowing up Y) but can also have wacky effects, because players get to be creative in how they use spells--a destructive spell can be cast in battle for a straightforward damaging effect, but it can also be part of the plot: you can use it to tear down a wall, for example, or attack someone's mind with it.

Regarding sui generis mentioned earlier (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...63/sui-generis) -
    This is absolutely amazing. I pledged too. looks kinda like the banner saga itself - lots of brand new ideas, not just a new good game with old formulas.
    Last edited by AugustSnow; 11-14-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Missed Quote

Yup, I really hope they make it!

Anyone who hasn't checked out https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ption/comments
    but is a fan of adventure games, rpg elements, rogues or linux totally should.
    It's getting down to the wire and every little bit helps.

Im not sure if any of you guys posted this yet but...
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...m?ref=category

Sui Generis made it! They had about 4 hours to spare when they passed the 150,000 pound mark, so it was cutting it really close.

A promising game that's sadly lacking exposure and funding atm: Forsaken Fortress. Base building in a post apocalyptic world, party management (rpg elements), world exploration (group realtime combat), base defense (tower defense style): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tress?ref=live
    The closest game i would compare it to, is the upcoming Dead State.

Time to dust off this thread for an Indiegogo campaign presented by Fair Trade Toronto, an organization for, well, fair trade, that is based in Toronto. It's rather a self-explanatory name. If you don't know why fair trade is a big deal, then you should check this campaign out, because it's for a beautifully-illustrated children's book about fair trade. If you do know why fair trade is a big deal, still check it out, because it's important and socially responsible and all that jazz.

Personally, I don't care about fair trade, because I am a horrible person. But a couple of the rewards include a super sweet knitted hat, and like any TF2 player, I can't resist limited edition headwear.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not involved with the campaign, but it's being run by one of my friends, who is doing it on a completely volunteer basis.

Im suprised none of you have seen this yet https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n-rpg?ref=live

I know it sounds weird and he dosnt show much but there hasnt been many intresting kickstarters for video games this month aside from this project. I hope Chris Taylor dosnt turn into another Peter Molnex and end up over-hyping this game into oblivion.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast