Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Promising Kickstarters

Yeah, that looks interesting! Apparently it uses the 'Banner Saga engine' - not sure what that actually means for the game, but I'm intrigued...

Quote Originally Posted by loveboof View Post
    Yeah, that looks interesting! Apparently it uses the 'Banner Saga engine' - not sure what that actually means for the game, but I'm intrigued...
    From the looks of it, I believe the so-called 'TBS engine' includes (but is not limited to):

1. Isometric "top view" tactical turn-based combat between two teams (of roughly 6 units each)
    2. Square-tile grid/board (size ~16x16), allowing for 1x1 and 2x2 sized units
    3. Parallaxing background/foreground, when camera pans
    *. I believe they'd also inherit a variant of the stats system (ASWEB), rank/class/ability system and movement/attack-range system
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Here's an upcoming one, with more than just a TBS flavor to its battle system: BEDLAM. Looks interesting...

Cheers for sharing, i actually went ahead and backed that! My first ever backed project!

I hope the devs there do not repeat the same mistakes Stoic has made, and the game does not follows the same "poor post-release treatment" path that The Banner Saga has followed so far..
    Last edited by Yellow; 10-01-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

From the looks of it, I believe the so-called 'TBS engine' includes (but is not limited to):

1. Isometric "top view" tactical turn-based combat between two teams (of roughly 6 units each)
    2. Square-tile grid/board (size ~16x16), allowing for 1x1 and 2x2 sized units
    3. Parallaxing background/foreground, when camera pans
    *. I believe they'd also inherit a variant of the stats system (ASWEB), rank/class/ability system and movement/attack-range system
    Ah ok, thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep an eye on this one

It's just stuff I "extracted" from looking at these KS pictures and reading through the material, nothing more... I have an eye on this one too

Is it my impression, or has the rate of new video-game entries into KS dropped considerably over the last months? Maybe the first fruits of such projects (published typically within 2014) didn't meet the public's expectations? Lets take me as an example: After I came to know TBS (spring of 2013), I started checking other games to back because I regretted missing TBS's KS campaign; there's now ~5 in my list, including a 2 more games that I "backed" using Humble-Bundle widgets, after their KS had ended. I recall that there was some projects I kinda liked, but had to choose other, better, ones. Now, I only find relatively low-quality entries... What's your take on this?
    This Kotaku article on the topic discussed above: "Kickstarter Made Less Money, Funded Fewer Games in 2014"

it think it sure would help, if you could be backer by paying with other methods than credit card, that sure would help :/ i for example would like to back bedlam, but have no means without credit card :/

The "Bedlam" kickstarter project just announced the $65 digital collector's edition features a Ghost Dozer being driven by a Ghost Varl , in a crossover promotion with The Banner Saga: "Arnie Jorgensen, Art Director at Stoic is currently working on the concept art for the Ghost Varl Veteran Crew Member and Captain the Ghost Dozer!! Weve seen the initial sketch and its gonna knock your banners off!"

They're in their final days, just $17,000 short of their kickstarter goal. More info at:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1023519

I also want to put another plug in for "The Which Sleeps" the turn based strategy game where you play a sleeping evil being which is slowly awakening and trying to conquer the world, through subterfuge, deceit and corruption, before hte powers of good realize what's going on and form a alliance to stop you. Basically play as Sauron in Lord of the Rings. It has achieved a lot of stretch goals and is in it's final hours.

More info at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-which-sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by quartex View Post
    I also want to put another plug in for "The Which Sleeps" the turn based strategy game where you play a sleeping evil being which is slowly awakening and trying to conquer the world, through subterfuge, deceit and corruption, before hte powers of good realize what's going on and form a alliance to stop you. Basically play as Sauron in Lord of the Rings. It has achieved a lot of stretch goals and is in it's final hours. More info at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...t-which-sleeps
    Haha, quite an original idea there, playing the villain and trying to thwart heroic attempts against you Thanks for mentioning it quartex. I don't think I will back it, but I'll keep it in my shortlist!

Here's an unlikely blend of game-types, presented in this retro-romantic pixel visual theme that's so popular on indie games lately: Starr Mazer by Imagos Softworks (totally un-viking and un-TBS! )

And another pixel-art game (sorry for that ) that looks interesting: Children of Morta by Dead Mage. This time its "a story-driven hack ‘n slash roguelike game which will involve you in the adventures of the Bergson family."

12.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #192
    That is one pretty game. Thanks for linking!

Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire (by Whale Hammer Games) is an episodic turn-based tactics RPG set on a world that has fallen into a medieval dark age after the collapse of space faring civilization.

It just went live. Looks like a nice turn-based tactics RPG that bears a lot of similarities with The Banner Saga, but has an "oriental" feel to it, as opposed to the "scandinavian" feel of TBS. here's their website: https://www.tahiragame.com/. I think I'll back it

I want to point people to "Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption", which is in it's final days. It's an RPG/adventure game being created by the couple who made the Quest For Glory Sierra adventure games back in the 90's. It looks like a neat mix of classic adventure puzzle with some creative combat (where use of items and traps is as important as your fighting ability). Conversations with fellow students and relationships looks to be an important part of the game as well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...e-playing-game

Thanks for that, quartex! I didn't see your post in time to support the game, but I am glad it made it I loved Sierra's classic QFG games and this one seems to have some of that spark. Also, I couldn't help to notice that they kinda fused it with the "Harry Potter" theme (wizard school etc), which I don't mind at all

Just to clarify, Hero-U is being designed by Lori and Corey Cole, the same people who designed the Quest for Glory games from the 90's, so they definitely have a lot of experience making adventure/RPG games. Also, they are still accepting donations via PayPal on their webpage. (you can pre-order the game for $25 and they are still hoping to hit a few more stretch goals) Here's a link: https://hero-u.com/

Backed Candle through kickstarter Release date : August 25, 2015 Watch for it!!

Here's another fantasy RPG from ex-BioWare devs -- Mooncrest

Mooncrest is a single-player, story-based fantasy RPG, with a focus on real-time tactical combat, cinematic conversations, and challenging puzzles. KnightMayor’s premiere title features:

• A Story of Sisterhood: An immersive story of fellowship where the interactions with your wayward companion propel you on an adventure of intrigue.
    • "Souls-style" Combat: Engage in real-time combat where your wits will matter as much as your reflexes.
    • Challenging Puzzle Solving: Tease your brain with puzzles that favor logic and reward your cleverness.

Mooncrest is brought to you by a seasoned team of former BioWare and pen-and-paper game designers. We have more than 20 years of combined game development experience and our goal is to bring back the single player, story-driven experiences we loved in the past.

We're bringing Mooncrest to Kickstarter because we suspect we're not the only ones that miss this kind of game. We want to involve you in the development process; your feedback is necessary in making Mooncrest the best game that it can possibly be.

EDIT -- Their KS campaign was unceremoniously ended one week after launch, reaching only 10% of their (apparently) too ambitious $400K goal
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 08-26-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Well, this one doesn't need a lot of introductions -- Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Larian has a reputation for cheesy titles (e.g. "Divine Divinity") and "Original Sin 2" is no exception But, in any case, the original game ("Original Sin 1") had made quite a sensation, inspired from classic RPGs like Ultima VII and the like, and this one is quite ambitious as well. It seems to be going fairly well for day#1!

Ironic.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast