Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Should Factions come bundled with The Banner Saga purchase?

Should Factions come bundled with The Banner Saga purchase?

Hello,

It occurred to me that it would be handy to have a link to Banner Saga: Factions from the main menu of The Banner Saga (single player game).

Seeing as Factions is free, you could even just bundle it in with The Banner Saga when downloaded. I'm sure it would increase the player base of Factions and give The Banner Saga players a chance to try out their skills against human opponents.

Can anyone think of any drawbacks?

Yeah, it was originally planned to include at least a link to Factions in Saga, but I don't know what was the reason to not do it
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

+1.

I can't see any drawbacks. Except, perhaps, some haters whining that greedy Stoic is trying to promote its other pay-to-win game

Factions & Saga are now two separate games. They do have many many things in common, however, the former has a one-year-older engine than the latter. Once John "upgrades" the Factions engine (sprites, UI, menus etc) to the polished level of the Saga, I think that it will be possible to bundle the games.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Was probably just not easy to "connect" both clients seamlessly and have both bug free/not affect each other.

There wasn't time to update Factions and Saga has developed (code wise as well) past the point where Factions was at.

It should come, eventually, as with much else.

We talk about something as simple as a link to Factions steam page at least, raven. That shouldn't have anything with bug/frees...
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

I don't think factions should be introduced to those of the Saga right now. It is great at introducing the battle mechanics to players however it lacks that drive to keep them playing. Only big fans of PvP/TBS will stay. It wont keep the majority of players yet.

You could be right Tirean, but I think the best time to raise awareness for Factions is whilst The Banner Saga is still fresh and exciting for everyone. There will be people out there who very much enjoyed the single player game, but have yet to try Factions; perhaps some of them simply don't realise it's out there?

I agree that Factions is less polished, but it would still add some longevity to the overall experience...

I'd disagree that now is the time to raise awareness for Factions, that ship has already sailed. I would say bundle the two together for the first time The Banner Saga goes on sale, however. By then, Factions will have been worked on some more and be a more appealing game overall. If possible, add in some hooks between them, like maybe give a bunch of renown to factions players who own the main game, or maybe tie some unit unlocks to game progress. I don't know what's possible, but something like that would be a good incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by loveboof View Post
    You could be right Tirean, but I think the best time to raise awareness for Factions is whilst The Banner Saga is still fresh and exciting for everyone. There will be people out there who very much enjoyed the single player game, but have yet to try Factions; perhaps some of them simply don't realise it's out there?

I agree that Factions is less polished, but it would still add some longevity to the overall experience...

i agree. Banner Saga Chapter 1 is the one to drive the appeal for Factions, not Factions itself. :P Right now, Chapter 1 is doing quite well. and honestly ppl that just come into Faction everything is new. even if it is a year old to some vets here, being able to play with 3-bowmaster teams, and adjusting stats, and facing humans, would be completely new to people that bought saga.

Do you know about the new update in Elsword? Nope, thats because it was released in july 2013 haha no one cares about old games unless they're already following it.even if they get some really big update, unless it gets really big coverage, it might get overshadowed by currently-released games. so the time to advertise Factions is now while saga is still fresh.
    Last edited by roder; 02-05-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Perhaps its Stoic's wish not to make Factions so big (just now), i.e. keep it small and cozy. Perhaps they wanna keep it in this semi-game/semi-testbed state, without having to care about thousands of angry F2P-gamers that complain about this and that.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I don't understand why stoic shouldn't integrate factions together with saga so everything can be accessed with one screen. If they work on it right now, and have it implemented before any sale/expansion/etc. starts then they don't have to worry about doing it....right before a sale/expansion/etc starts. And how does integrating factions into saga mean that stoic is "focusing too much on advertising factions"? If anything factions should have been already been accessible from the singleplayer, but who am I to question these things.

They should reintegrate factions into the next Banner Saga release, or at least place a link to the Factions steam page into the game.
    I also think that some form of promotion could pull some new players in from the single player. Why not unlock one or two units for everyone who owns the singleplayer? Or maybe some of the skins? For example you could give everyone who owns the singleplayer game a frog-skin Gunnulf (Warhawk).

I have the impression that most people playing the singleplayer do not even know Factions exist. And oddly the reverse thing also seems to happen with some people trying Factions but not having heard of the singleplayer, at least judging from some of the chat conversations in Factions

Edit: Just read the "what we're up to" thread and too bad we won't be seeing changes any time soon. A little cross-promotion would probably still be nice, though. Maybe in the second part of the Banner Saga?
    Last edited by rofltehcat; 03-18-2014 at 08:56 AM.

I agree, just some links, a little cross-promotion and, maybe, just a little incentive to the game would be really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rofltehcat View Post
    I have the impression that most people playing the singleplayer do not even know Factions exist. And oddly the reverse thing also seems to happen with some people trying Factions but not having heard of the singleplayer, at least judging from some of the chat conversations in Factions
    Thats true, but it always suprises me how lazy some players are I mean if you're searching Banner Saga at the searchfunction, it refers to fractions. Just by a little research one can find informations about how these two games are connected.
    I think people who really (really really ) liked the singleplayer will somehow find out about fractions. They too will be playing it here and there, even if it's a little bit oldfashioned compared to saga.