Thread: Final Fantasy Tactics Spiritual Successor on Kickstarter

Final Fantasy Tactics Spiritual Successor on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-the-guardians

I hope they make all their goals. This would a be another great franchise to see adding turn based competitive play to the interwebs.

I saw that a while ago too. It surely seems interesting, however it was a little disappointing that they didn't show anything from what the actual game would like; only some concept art and guys talking. Also, they seem to over-exploit Matsuno's name, as a "backer-magnet", without clearly defining his role in the game development... I think I'll wait out this one.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

You're not the only person who is disappointed by the lack of game details and sample screenshots. They're planning on releasing a big update on Thursday so I'd check back later this week. (it reminds me of kickstarter projects like Massive Chalice where the kickstarter was done before they started doing detailed development of the game, so they didn't have any screenshots to show, just concept art) I backed Unsung Story because I want to support more turn-based strategy games and it seems like a good company and a talented designer. (even if the concept isn't half as interesting as The Banner Saga)

Quote Originally Posted by quartex View Post
    You're not the only person who is disappointed by the lack of game details and sample screenshots. They're planning on releasing a big update on Thursday so I'd check back later this week.
    Heh. So, with 9 (of 30) days to go and hoping to cover another $150K (25% of their goal)... I wonder if the last-days thrill, and this update, will be sufficient to cover that. Because, I believe that most "strong" kickstarter project get their goal early on, and then promise a little more for another 1-2 strech-goals (e.g. +10-20% of goal). Lets wait and see.

Matsuno's role is to write the story and design the game. That's pretty clear. He quit his position at Square Enix in anticipation of working on this project. Akihiko Yoshida will be doing the art for the game. He also left Square to begin work on Unsung Story. To be honest, this project will go underway with or without the kickstart from what I can see. In fact, the $1,000,000 goal for adding Hitoshi Sakimoto to the project seems like a little bit of oddness. Who is going to compose the music if they don't reach the goal? Is it going to be dead air?

My biggest disappointment about this kickstarter is that they are promising releases on different platforms as tier level upgrades. I couldn't give a poo about a PS4 or a DS/Vita release. What I do care about is Hitoshi Sakimoto, the game+ and the map editor. They definitely need to answer some of these questions and work harder for their fan base.

Playdek is clearly promoting Unsung Story as a game for mobile devices (which makes sense considering all previous games have been for mobile devices). By adding extra platforms as stretch goals they were hoping that fans of these devices would help them raise extra money once they shot past their goal. Unfortunately when the campaign looks like it won't reach those goals, fans get disappointed and don't feel like the project is worth their money. Stretch goals are tricky, they can convince people to keep donating money after a goal is met, but set them too high and people just get depressed at all the goals that aren't being reached. It seems like Playdek hoped to raise all the money on their reputation and the names of famous game developers without having much in-game details or concept art. That works sometimes, but often backers want a more concrete idea of what the game will be like. I'm reminded of games like Torment: Numenera who worked hard to get a concept screenshots out during the campaign, because a picture is worth a thousand words.

I have a new appreciation for Double Fine who has refused to set any stretch goals for their kickstarter projects. Massive Chalice was promoted on kickstarter on much the same way as Unsung Story, they had some concept art and a game idea, but that was it. They ran the campaign purely on the reputation of the company and game developers and refused to add stretch goals because they didn't want to promise anything they wouldn't be able to deliver later in development (because the game was so early in development that major decisions hasn't been made yet).

Some of Stoic's last minute stretch goals, like having an ending the really reflects the choices you made in the game, and developing cities in the multiplayer game, seem like promises that they are having difficulty delivering on. So there's something to be said for the simple promise of "the more money you give us, the better a game we'll be able to develop".
    Last edited by quartex; 02-05-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quartex View Post
    Stretch goals are tricky...
    Very well argued, quartex; thanks. Looking at this game's streach-goal approach makes you say "What?". They've planned up to $2,400,000 and the increment-vs-reward stair doesn't seem to be scaling proportionally...

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is another kickstarter I'm watching these days, who seems way more down-to-earth/honest about its stretch goals. They are at 640,000GBP (210% of their goal) with 15 days to go and their 800,000GBP stretch-goal is as yet undefined!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Very well argued, quartex; thanks. Looking at this game's streach-goal approach makes you say "What?". They've planned up to $2,400,000 and the increment-vs-reward stair doesn't seem to be scaling proportionally...

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is another kickstarter I'm watching these days, who seems way more down-to-earth/honest about its stretch goals. They are at 640,000GBP (210% of their goal) with 15 days to go and their 800,000GBP stretch-goal is as yet undefined!
    I think Kingdom Come looks like grand theft auto in the medieval ages. I don't think I want to play that unless it gets amazing good reviews. Sand box games can struggle without a strong plot and nothing was presented in the kickstarter to convince me they have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastilean View Post
    I think Kingdom Come looks like grand theft auto in the medieval ages.
    Haha Indeed! Sounds about right. I am not a big fan of live-action games either, so I am gonna keep a safe distance too. I was just commenting on its stretch-goals planning...

So, back to Unsung Story, this update that quartex talked about is probably up, showing some drawings of how the combat will feel like:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s/posts/740862

And since the update the campaign has actually lost money. (because backers don't like the new design?) I assume the new content is designed to get gaming press to write new articles about the game and attract new backers, but if there's going to be a huge surge of support, I'm wondering when it will begin. I don't see existing backers falling over themselves to increase their pledges. I suppose that all Playdek can do is design the best game they can, and hope the fans will be supportive.

It looks like the kickstarter campaign will get funded after all (it's currently only $40k away from the goal). Playdek has posted a lot of new artwork and gameplay information in the last few days. I encourage people to check out the kickstarter page.