Thread: Playtested on hard?

Playtested on hard?

So I started the game and I put it on hard because what else would someone do. I'm at day 9 into the game, I've managed to beat all the fights so far without a full wipe, but this fight I'm stuck on makes me think this game either wasn't playtested on hard, or you're not meant to complete all the fights.

I don't think if every character took an extra turn each time, it would even be mathematically possible to complete this fight without a wipe.

Hello and... surprise! Hard is supposed to hard Now, seriously, what fight is that? Got a snapshot (F12 on Steam) with the deployment and your characters/stats? Perhaps we can help out with ideas and tactics on how to approach this...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

**SPOILERISH?**

Without factions experience and/or a previous saga, Hard mode would be quite the challenge, but losing one battle is not losing the game, so feel free to punish yourself. However, I found my second Saga on hard to be only slightly more difficult than my first saga on normal. I played the first saga legit with no spoilers (starvation is fun!), and I ended up "gaming" the Hard (second and third) saga, optimizing story choices for renown and fights. The reason it is almost easier is because more opponents equals more renown AND turn advantage. So ultimately it is easier to get ahead of the renown curve and field some L5 beasts. Here are some tips:

1) Gain turn advantage by maiming everything with 1 Armor Break. Lots of dredge have only 1 AB, so always kill them last. You only need to bring their strength down to your (in range) party's lowest armor +1 (this means they will only hit your for 1).
    2) AB is key, most characters should be max asap. Exceptions would be the thrashers, warhawks and mender.
    3) Improve your positioning skills. Some talent (not experience) for chess is rewarded here.
    Note: A common theme to many of the mediocre reviews seems to be a failure of the reviewer to pick up on these three strategic concepts. Many whine about alternating turns, which I find to be the most interesting thing about the fighting. Admittedly it takes a little getting used to - we were all raised on focus fire!
    4) Gunnulf in slot #1. By your third fight you can get Gunnulf to L3 or L4, pump up his strength and exertion, and you can usually maim or kill 1 to 3 opponents immediately.
    5) Let the fork guys summon. They waste a turn summoning, and the semi-useless summon only adds to your turn advantage. +1 renown for icing.
    6) Cheese the end of round 1 of wars before starting round 2. Keep one maimed dredge alive - 1 armor or if you're lucky 0/deflect is a great trade for 4-6 willpower/turn. Eyvind used properly with 15 willpower makes the last third of the game almost trivial. Too weak for round 2? Try anyway, you may be surprised, then reload if you fail and try to improve round 1.
    7) Don't buy items. 10 renown for the 2AB hook or 15 renown for the 2STR ring are the only items worth buying. Chapter 3 varl party might be able to afford one L5 tirnket for Gunnulf. Godstone/story choices/random round 2 rewards will provide plenty of useful trinkets.
    8) Focus your renown on characters you will use a lot or at the end. Fasolt is probably the only one worth burning full renown on since he's so useful in the middle chapters.
    9) Don't give up. It's shocking what one super armor/AB, one strength archer and turn advantage can do.
    10) AB is key. In case you missed it.

So overall I'd say that Hard is just a shade too easy, though random forked dredge summonings would probably make it just right.
    3rd saga final party (nailed it):
    L5:
    Gunnulf, Iver, Oddleif, Hakon, Fasolt (RIP), Rook (RIP), Mogr, Eyvind || Alette, Mogun, Nid, Griss, Bursi
    (The first 8 were army staples (leveled asap), while the last 5 were rotated in, and were leveled up sparingly or in the final siege with renown to burn).
    L4:
    Yrsa
    L2:
    Tryggvi
    L1:
    Egil (RIP), Eirik, Ludin, Hogun, Krumr, Ekkill, Onef (BIH)
    (Egil and Eirik are mildly useful subs at L1)
    Last edited by dboon; 02-19-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dboon View Post
    Here are some tips
    Thanks for the write-up, dboon It sums it up nicely.

I agree that wise use of the turn-advantage and the overpowering AB that the game offers you, are the keys to success. Most enemies have low AB to start with (with the exception of Stoneguard tanks who, unfortunately, make poor use of their devastating active ability [Kindle]) and the AI seems to prioritize "kamikaze-maim" attacks (by human archers and Dredge slingers), where a more cautious approach (AB-then-STR) would work better. As you said, many times you end out sweeping the field with a high-ARM/AB unit and maimed archers!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

My only problem playing on HARD is that I always do Rush into the Battle option and afterwards go finish fleeing enemies so thats two battles in a row because Iam that crazy type of guy that I have to get everything for 100% and would like to know if anyone finished it on Hard without losing any battle with fighting all available battles!, anyone starving on the caravan etc.. because thats what I think its not possible on Hard.It was flawless on Hard up to third chapter I think and because Ive spent all my renown on resources I didnt had levelled up characters, so my next playtrough will be Hard but each renown spend on Heroes and dont mind starving few of the people )