Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Sagas of the Green, Gold and Red Banners

The Sagas of the Green, Gold and Red Banners

Hello happy vikings!

I made this map with the travels of each caravan in the first part of The Banner Saga.

The green banner is under Ubin's POV, in Chapter 1. The gold banner is under Hakon's POV in Chapter 3. The dashed and dotted lines mark travels that are not explicitly lived-through, but happen during the course of the particular chapter or shortly afterwards. The red banner is under Rook's POV in Chapters 2,4,6 & 7.

Also, I've marked with black color-outlined circles the important locations visited. I am planning to add the travel times between each pair of "checkpoints".

Feel free to report mistakes and propose additions!
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 02-06-2018 at 04:37 PM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Nice job! I understand what the solid and dashed lines represent, but who do the dotted lines represent?

Quote Originally Posted by quartex View Post
    Nice job! I understand what the solid and dashed lines represent, but who do the dotted lines represent?
    Oh, that... Nothing really, it's just another line-with-arrow showing the direction of travel that over-arcs the whole path of one chapter, that could encompass several "spans" (for instance, Chapter 4 has two spans in this map: Frostvellr-->Wyrmtoe and Wyrmtoe-->Einartoft). I just wanted a single-curve passing through each chapter number, is all

** The only exception is the yellow-dotted line, Grofheim-->Einartoft, which is the course of the "Missing Hakon Chapter" that happens in parallel with Rook's Chapter 4.

OK, here's the day-count of the story, taking the fastest possible decisions (I think). I took that from the savegame listings:

Code:
         Day  Location
    ---------------------------
    Ch1:   0  Strand Arrival
    Ch2:   3  Forest Encounter
           4  Skogr Arrival
           6  Hridvaldyr Godstone
          11  Frostvelr Arrival
    Ch3:  11  Vedrfell Departure
          18  Denglr Godstone
          24  Ridgehorn Arrival
          47  Grofheim Arrival (lead-in to Ch. 4)
    Ch4:  49  Frostvelr Departure
          52  Radormyr Godstone
          57  Wyrmtoe Arrival
          60  Marek Godstone
          65  Hadrborg Godstone
          71  Einartoft Arrival
    Ch5:  72  Einartoft Siege (Serpent-Juno converstation)
    Ch6:  72  Einartoft Departure
          80  Dundr Godstone
          84  Ingrid Godstone
          88  Sigrholm Arrival
          95  Bjorulf Godstone
    Ch7: 102  Boersgard Arrival
         106  Stravhs Godstone
         106  Bellower Fight
    I might upgrade this in the future to include un-mentioned important places, special events (e.g. Onef mutiny), market locations & prices etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Ch7: 102 Boersgard Arrival
    So there are 18 days available for rest to get "120 days to Boersgard" achievement
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

Lovely map Aleonymous. Thanks for sharing!

7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
    Really cool, Aleo! This is almost exactly what our maps look like when laying out the game, we even use different colors, arrows and dots at the end of the travels to denote when changing caravans. We've already got a first round pass of this done for Chapter 2.
    Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    We've already got a first round pass of this done for Chapter 2.
    I wonder where will that journey us to I expect the caravan to reach the human capital (Arberrang) or the Mender's HQ (Manaharr) at some point in the not-so-distant future!

On another track, I was trying to cross-check the following map-related info: As all caravan-travel mode is done in a side-view, what is the direction we are looking at? Most of the journeying is more-or-less along the East-West axis, so I expect that we're mostly looking towards the North, right? Did you (Arnie) keep that meticulously into account when drawing the background-landscape?

it would be really cool if you could see an actual banner flowing through the entire journey on the map. even better if there are alternate paths to take on the map so you can see the diversion of the banner to others' banner tale.