Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So, what's everybody reading these days?

If This Is a Man by Primo Levi

I just finished Spin, first book in a trilogy by Robert Charles Wilson, and a great SF read

Just finished children of dune, going to read "the legend of the albae" next, which is some kind of german fantasy series

I also started a collection of Edgar Allan Poe stories, this one (Amazon link)
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I just finished the odyssey, i now understand why it became a classic
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

A lot of the weird/sinister stuff from that new TV series True Detective was inspired by Robert W. Chambers' The King in Yellow. As I enjoyed the show, I started reading that

It's a collection of short stories, so very readable on the go - totally worth a read for the first few stories alone! (Apparently the later ones are not as good, but I haven't read them yet so can't say)
    Last edited by loveboof; 05-19-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales Series.

Fantasy is my favorite genre. I've read so much and there are so many great authors and series to recommend, but my top picks are definitely Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, and George R.R. Martin. Tolkein is in a place of his own as the father of modern fantasy, though. Of those three I'd say Brandon Sanderson stands head and shoulders above the other two, because of the way Wheel of Time bogged down to agonizing levels halfway through, and George R.R. Martin pretty much gave his fans the bird by all but abandoning his written series to focus on the TV show.

Shameless self promotion, the OP mentioned urban fantasy, and I recently released an urban fantasy ebook on Amazon Kindle: Salzan, Book One of the Cavnar series. I'm not sure about the protocols of posting links, but if you want to check it out just search "Salzan" on Amazon. I've got it listed free until the 26th, so you've got nothing to lose . And hopefully if you like it you'll review and recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by natej11 View Post
    Fantasy is my favorite genre. I've read so much and there are so many great authors and series to recommend, but my top picks are definitely Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, and George R.R. Martin. Tolkein is in a place of his own as the father of modern fantasy, though. Of those three I'd say Brandon Sanderson stands head and shoulders above the other two, because of the way Wheel of Time bogged down to agonizing levels halfway through, and George R.R. Martin pretty much gave his fans the bird by all but abandoning his written series to focus on the TV show.
    I haven't read anything of Sanderson (any suggestions? This Mistborn?), but I second both your concerns about GRRM's & Jordan's works. I am now in the 10th book of TWoT, where things started to pick up pace, at last

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    I haven't read anything of Sanderson (any suggestions? This Mistborn?), but I second both your concerns about GRRM's & Jordan's works. I am now in the 10th book of TWoT, where things started to pick up pace, at last
    100% You need to read his Stormlight Archives. They're an epic fantasy in the style of Game of Thrones or Wheel of Time, but I can't even describe how unbelievably good they are. Not only is the world breathtaking and the story powerful, but the characterization and moral quandaries the characters find themselves in, the pain and moments of honor and heroism, literally made me tear up at times. And that doesn't happen often.

100% You need to read his Stormlight Archives.
    Thanks for the tip. It seems that only two books are out, and its a planned 10-book series. I am kinda skeptical of that, after my experience with TWoT: I am now in book 10 of 14, and its like the third year I've spent on them. I am not a native English speaker/reader, but I prefer original language, so it goes slow...

Yeah, going into a series before it's finished can suck, especially with something like A Song of Ice and Fire where George R.R. Martin took over 6 years to get the 5th book out. But Brandon Sanderson is a wildly prolific writer and he's been reliable about putting books out so far. He's the one who finished Wheel of Time for Robert Jordan and managed to untangle the mess the series was in and wrap it up in 3 books. I can understand not wanting to trust an unfinished series, but of any of them Stormlight Archives would be my pick.

continuing on my not-so-succesful quest to find really amazing sci-fi ... i'm about to start reading this novel by M. Harrison titled "Light".

Quote Originally Posted by balnoisi View Post
    quest to find really amazing sci-fi
    What's your "standards", for really amazing sci-fi?

I haven't read a lot, really, so I can only point out Gibson's "Neuromancer" (cyberpunk sub-genre) and Niven's "Ringworld", that you've probably already read... I recently read Herbert's "Dune", but I didn't like it so much as I hoped... Also, I tried to read a couple of Philip K. Dick's novels (10 years ago), but I always abandoned them; perhaps I should give them one more try.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Also, I tried to read a couple of Philip K. Dick's novels (10 years ago), but I always abandoned them; perhaps I should give them one more try.
    IMO Dick's best works are his short stories. He is great for sci-fi themes/concepts but I haven't loved the novels of his that I have read. I think that's why so many of his short stories have been expanded into films; the CONCEPT is so creative and strong.
    Let the Sleeping Dog Lie!

See my album of Banner Saga crests here. Many thanks to everyone who displays my work!

In modern SF, two of my favorite writers are Richard Morgan (the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, Black Man...) and Charles Stross (Palimpsest, the Eschaton series...). Their non-SF works are great too, like Richard Morgan fantasy series A Land Fit For Heroes or Charles Stross computer-geek-occult-horror series The Laundry Files.

@Topic: Currently reading some Discworld. Just finished Mort and now reading the second one of the novels about Death...i really could punch myself for waiting so long with reading this >.<
    100% You need to read his Stormlight Archives. They're an epic fantasy in the style of Game of Thrones or Wheel of Time, but I can't even describe how unbelievably good they are. Not only is the world breathtaking and the story powerful, but the characterization and moral quandaries the characters find themselves in, the pain and moments of honor and heroism, literally made me tear up at times. And that doesn't happen often.
    Thanks for the suggestion. if it's truly as good as you describe it, I will certainly start reading this

Yeah Terry Pratchett is another one of my favorite authors. I've read all of his Discworld books, and there's dozens of them.

Quote Originally Posted by StandSure View Post
    IMO Dick's best works are his short stories. He is great for sci-fi themes/concepts but I haven't loved the novels of his that I have read. I think that's why so many of his short stories have been expanded into films; the CONCEPT is so creative and strong.
    i'd agree to this his short stories are where he really shines, great ideas and amazing delivery!
    That said, if you then end up liking his stuff i cannot help but advising to read Ubik... Once the book was finished i needed to touch something solid and even then i wasn't sure that "rel" was "real"... one of the best sci-fi books i've ever come across. (the unsure about reality thing has seemed to get everyone i've passed the book to )
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

so i finished book one some days ago and i'm at chapter 2 of the second book...yeah, it's pretty amazing, especially the ending chapters of book one were breathtaking really a good suggestion to read these

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast