Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So, what's everybody reading these days?

I've recently finished Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front. Simply outstanding. One of these books which everybody should have read.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #42
    Just finished The Jennifer Morgue by Charles Stross.

Last week finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Amazing novel.

Now reading Resistance, Rebellion and Death by Albert Camus. Started this a while back, but it is a series of essays so it can be read in installments.

Kundera's exposition on Kitsch in the aforementioned is spectacular. There is a small but incisive bit about it on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch#...otalitarianism

I always find myself drawn to the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs, specifically his whole Barsoom series. I also love anything by Robert E. Howard, especially King Kull, Solomon Kane, and Conan. I'm a sucker for sword and sorcery.

As i haven't managed to get a copy of the edda that was satisfying i've resorted to moving down my priority list and grabbed hold of "love in the time of cholera"
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

finished the year of the flood and moving onto cider with rosie

Going to read some H.P. Lovecraft next. I've got a book that has a selection of his short stories like "The Dunwich Horror", "The Shadow over Innsmouth" and "The Whisperer in Darkness" among others.

I'm just about done Abercrombie's "First Law" trilogy. Not bad stuff.

Just got done rereading "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch. It's a fantasy novel about a group of confidence artists who violate the "secret peace" between the nobles and criminal gangs of the city by stealing from the nobles while pretending to be "good" thieves who are following the rules. The story jumps around in its timeline to give you the backstory of the characters or groups when given details become relevant to the main plot.

I've read that book too, and quite enjoyed it. Make sure to check out the sequel.

Almost done with The Hobbit, then on to The Portable Atheist (talk about ironic title). After that I'm thinking maybe Ender's Game (Perhaps in time before the movie?), THEN maybe by then Cold Days (Dresden Files) will be released. And maybe during all of this, my chemistry text book?

Reading me some House of Leaves by Mark Dienelewski. It is one INTENSE book. Also just finished reading Robopocalypse because Steven Spielberg wants to make it into a film. In all honesty, I have not read such a lame book in a while... But trust me. Everyone should read House of Leaves!
    "If this was Monopoly, you'd hate me..."

Quote Originally Posted by Midnitte View Post
    .... my chemistry text book?
    i recently graduated in chemistry, trust me in the end all you need to know is that is comes all down to electron movement :P

I honestly haven't read a good full-on novel in a while. The last one at all was A Dance with Dragons, which was really kind of middling. The last couple years my thing has been more graphic novels. The Walking Dead comics have gotten amazing again after a slow arc or two, and I've really been sucked in by is Mark Waid's Irredeemable. It's a series that's pretty much based on "You know, we just kind of assume superheroes have the mental strength to deal with the pressure and responsibility, but what if they didn't?"

From the wikipedia page: "The series follows the fall of the world's greatest superhero, the Plutonian, as he begins slaughtering the population of Earth. His former allies, the superhero group The Paradigm, attempt to find a way to stop his rampage while dealing with their own problems of betrayal and hopelessness."
    If that's a veiled criticism about me, I won't hear it and I won't respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by kincajou View Post
    i recently graduated in chemistry, trust me in the end all you need to know is that is comes all down to electron movement :P
    I'm uncertain about that.

all elemental properties arise from electrons, all organic reaction mechanisms are about electron movement and in the end it is pretty much all down to electron-electron interaction.

Granted i'm not a fan of either quantum mechanics or organic chemistry and "because electons are doing something" isn't usually considered an appropriare answer but chemistry is in essence the study of electronic interactions and their consequences at larger scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas The Dead View Post
    I'm uncertain about that.
    We're all a little uncertain about things aren't we?

For anyone interested in life in Africa, I'd also recommend 'Dancing Skeletons', certainly sheds some light on problems we all face.

Animal physiology by Schmidt-Nielsen.
    It’s a really interesting book, not at all as heavy as I remember it from when I had to read it

Quote Originally Posted by Midnitte View Post
    For anyone interested in life in Africa, I'd also recommend 'Dancing Skeletons', certainly sheds some light on problems we all face.
    that sounds like it could peak my interest, can you tell me a bit more about it?

Just starting 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

It takes me forever to finish a book. I just finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I highly recommend it, but I bet everyone in here has read it already. Late to the party on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaille View Post
    Just starting 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

It takes me forever to finish a book. I just finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I highly recommend it, but I bet everyone in here has read it already. Late to the party on that one.
    If you liked Snow Crash, definitely check out his latest book (Reamde). I also really enjoyed Cryptonomicon.
    Sean "Ashen Temper" Dahlberg
    http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast