Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So, what's everybody reading these days?

Quote Originally Posted by kincajou View Post
    that sounds like it could peak my interest, can you tell me a bit more about it?
    Cultural Anthropologist goes on a visit to Africa (right below the Sahara), brings her young daughter. She does alot of interviewing (studying the causes/effects of malnourishment), its just as scientific as it is emotional. Highly recommended, was only like $2 on amazon too, was required reading for my food and culture class.

Just polished off Strata (a human and two aliens explore a quirky artificial world that goes contrary to common sense), Knights of Dark Renown (kingdom descends into darkness and chaos just as the world's most eminent knights vanish) and Warbreaker (living gods, princesses and wizards become involved in a conspiracy to incite war between their two nations). All quite enjoyable. In a coincidence, the latter two both have colour-based magic featuring prominently but take vastly different approaches with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnitte View Post
    We're all a little uncertain about things aren't we?
    ;D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #64
    I'm currently reading On Human Nature by Edward O. Wilson:

https://www.amazon.com/Human-Nature-E.../dp/0674016386

Finally finished The Hobbit, I'm now onto Genome: The autobiography of a species in 23 chapters by Matt Ridley. It's a little old (and starting to show its age), but its a great book detailing the history of genetics as well as insight (and 1 specific gene) for each of our chromosomes. Also picked up Organic Chemistry 1 for dummies... going to be an... eventful semester.
    Last edited by Midnitte; 08-12-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Just started re-reading the Drizzt series by R.A Salvatore, so far I'm up to Streams of Silver. Before that I read Mass Effect: Retribution by Drew Karpyshyn.

Finished love in the time of cholera...
    Good but not amazing, one hundred years of solitude was definitley better.

And moved onto a page turner, The algebraist by iain M Banks.
    Banks is a really good author of space operas and if anyone is a fan of sci-fi/political intigue/ entratainging yet mature stories i'd suggest his "player of games" or "excession" although the algebraist is also a very entrataining read
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

Re-reading The Dresden Files--noir detective work plus wizardry. I've read other in the genre such as Patricia Briggs and Lilith Saintcrow, but there's a measureable difference in their writing styles. Butcher is a lot less PC and his writing comes across as male. I think I made it through one or two chapters of Charlene Harris before putting her back on the shelf of the bookstore and never looking back. There's a sharp limit as to how much PC or estrogen I can tolerate.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://cbrrescue.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuga C View Post
    Re-reading The Dresden Files--noir detective work plus wizardry. I've read other in the genre such as Patricia Briggs and Lilith Saintcrow, but there's a measureable difference in their writing styles. Butcher is a lot less PC and his writing comes across as male. I think I made it through one or two chapters of Charlene Harris before putting her back on the shelf of the bookstore and never looking back. There's a sharp limit as to how much PC or estrogen I can tolerate.
    I cant wait for the next dresden book, comes out like nov 27, 2 weeks after my birthday

Finished God is not Great, very good book, though Hitchen's best work I think is probably his debate with his brother (Hitchens v Hitchens) which is pretty hilarious.

Kind of interrupted myself from reading Ridley's sequel to Genome, The Agile Gene. Think I might just skip it if I can pick up Dawkin's Selfish Gene or just a bit of fiction from Ender's Game....
    Last edited by Midnitte; 10-11-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: oops, wrong date

Currently just finished american gods... well worth a read!
    "...And upon that banner you write down your deeds so that you cannot forget."

Quote Originally Posted by kincajou View Post
    Currently just finished american gods... well worth a read!
    Yeah that's an interesting book. I just read it this year finally.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Last week finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Amazing novel.
    This was a fantastic read, indeed. Interesting that you mentioned the exposition of Kitch. It is on of of the few things i remember quite well from the book, albeit having it read more than ten years ago. Have you seen the movie? I liked it very much - Juliette Binoche is simply beautiful.
    Last edited by Floyd Ryan; 11-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.

13.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Ryan View Post
    This was a fantastic read, indeed. Interesting that you mentioned the exposition of Kitch. It is on of of the few things i remember quite well from the book, albeit having it read more than ten years ago. Have you seen the movie? I liked it very much - Juliette Binoche is simply beautiful.
    Have not seen the movie -- didn't know there was one! I'll check it out.

Yes, the exposition on Kitsch to me seemed like the climax or focal point of the entire novel. Sort of, 'ok we've gone into detail about all these characters and their motivations, but let me now pull back the coverings and boil it all down to the essence'.

after many years of not reading "genre" fiction, i want to go back to scifi. so i'm starting to read "a deepness in the sky" by vernor vinge. looks promising !

Finished newest Dresden book. Read it.
    Finished Ender's Game, read this also.

Started reading Dawkins' The Magic of Reality, describes how we know what we know about the universe in plain English - great for explaining things to others!

Not book related but I also started replaying Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Buying new books is on hold until I can afford my $300-$700 books for the semester...

Joe Abercrombie - First Law Trilogy
    I recently started book 3 and maaaaan, this is GOOD stuff!
    You might best cimpare it to A Song Of Ice And Fire - it's got a fair share of violence, intrigues and some sex in it, tho the latter two are not as prominent as the first one.
    It is more predictable, too, but makes up with cool characters.

A must read if you like mature fantasy!

I'm currently reading a few novels in the Dresden Files Series. Ive also read American Gods, Dan Simmons Hyperion, and a Ciphias Cain novel fairly recently. Out of all of those Hyperion was the weirdest, but I would still recommend it if you like science fiction and are okay with a mildly confusing story line.

@ balnoisi - isn't a Deepness in the Sky the second novel? It's not nearly as good as A Fire Upon the Deep. His constant grammatical and syntax errors in the sequel turned me off.

That said - A Fire Upon the Deep is simply excellent, imo.

Also...everyone should read the library of congress collections for Philip K. Dick if you're into genre sci-fi. He's the best of the best.
    Last edited by sweetjer; 01-12-2013 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjer View Post
    Also...everyone should read the library of congress colletions for Philip K. Dick if you're into genre sci-fi. He's the best of the best.
    QFT. PKD is a master. I only have the collection from the 60's, but have read a lot of his other work as well. Such an insane and awesome mind.

I'm reading through The Silmarillion now. Excellent book, basically the mythology and dramatic history of Tolkien's universe. It reads almost like a 'Bible' of the Elves. Pretty amazing for anyone that's a fan of his other work, and it really adds a lot of depth to an already deep world.

Back to sci-fi, I just finished reading The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and it was very cool. Haldeman is a Vietnam vet, and in many ways The Forever War is written as an allegory for that war, from the perspective of a reluctant warrior. One of the really interesting concepts he explores though is the idea of a war fought across such great distances that faster than light travel has to be used to reach the battlefields and outposts, so that a soldier's tour of duty might last hundreds of years on earth, but only a few years for him/her. Definitely recommend it. Apparently it's being made into a movie, buuuuut I really doubt they'll do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjer View Post
    @ balnoisi - isn't a Deepness in the Sky the second novel? It's not nearly as good as A Fire Upon the Deep. His constant grammatical and syntax errors in the sequel turned me off.

That said - A Fire Upon the Deep is simply excellent, imo.
    well, its events take place before those in "a fire upon the deep" even if he wrote it years after the first novel, so i decided to start there. i believe its not a real prequel per se, but just based on the same universe some thousands of years before. i didn't know nothing about the books other than they were good sci-fi novels. then i plan reading "a fire.." and then there's the sequel, called "the children of the sky", which i will read if they all are as good as they seem.
    having said this, i haven't finished it yet but i'm liking it a lot.
    Last edited by balnoisi; 01-12-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast