Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Let's Play Question

Let's Play Question

Hi there!

I am starting a channel on Youtube, and being the crazy person I am I want to focus on RPG and longer style games. However, I want to make sure I get the permission of the game creators to let's play their content and monetize it on my channel. Is there a specific way I need to contact? Or is asking here just fine?

My channel is the same as the name I'm using here, in case you're curious. Also, I still bought the game, and plan to play it either way, this is just to decide whether I will record footage of playing it or not.

Thanks in advance.

Hello. I think you can "YouTube as much as you like" (c). You can find relevant posts with official dev responses in these Forums or the Steam ones, for instance, here -- https://steamcommunity.com/app/237990...4738556221249/ . There was no explicit mentions about monetizing, so I might be a little more careful there.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

This is good to know, thanks!

question

Hi - I can see from Stoic's Video Policy page that they are fine with fans producing "Let's Plays" and walkthroughs and posting them on Youtube.

What I'm not clear on is whether Stoic is fine with music from their games being used in non-commercial youtube videos that otherwise don't relate to their games.

More specifically, I'm planning to start a non commercial series on Youtube about Tabletop Roleplaying games, and wanted to use the soundtrack from Banner Saga as background music.

Would this be in breach of Stoic's Video Policy?

Quote Originally Posted by halfdragon62 View Post
    Hi - I can see from Stoic's Video Policy page that they are fine with fans producing "Let's Plays" and walkthroughs and posting them on Youtube.

What I'm not clear on is whether Stoic is fine with music from their games being used in non-commercial youtube videos that otherwise don't relate to their games.

More specifically, I'm planning to start a non commercial series on Youtube about Tabletop Roleplaying games, and wanted to use the soundtrack from Banner Saga as background music.

Would this be in breach of Stoic's Video Policy?
    I don't think so, but YT filters-out that content anyway. Gonna let our CM get an official answer to that though.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    Hello halfdragon62! You need to request permission to use the music from the composer (Austin Wintory) directly. He has asked me to send you his way! Please email him at austin at austinwintory.com.

Thank you!

yes you need permission first