Thread: Summer Pass/High Pass bug?

Summer Pass/High Pass bug?

Sorry that this maybe should have been posted in the bug report thread, but it might be too late for that. Maybe I'm just reading the text wrong.

Anyway, I'm on my nth playthrough on the game, inspired by Aleonymous's excellent Unlock Tryggvi thread (I used option #1!). But I had also seen this before. Chapter 6, when you get to the Summer Pass and have the option of cutting through the dredge, you get the chance to fight 3 tough battles vs dredge to get straight to Sigrholm without going via the High Pass. I know you can do it because I have done it before on a playthrough. But my last 2 times, after the first 2 fights I get the text option of something like "Hurry, let's get out of here," and "We can do this one more time." I know that you can fight one more time to get straight to Sigrholm without going on the High Pass because I have done it once before. But the last 2 times I have chosen "We can do this one more time." (The quotes aren't completely right -- I didn't write them down and don't want to start Ch 6 over again to check it.) Instead of getting that last battle, I'm sent around the High Pass through Haukstrom. So, am I missing something essential to be able to get that last fight, or is this a bug with the text options? Has anyone else got through the 3 fights to get straight through to Sigrholm as I have before? I was actually shocked when I did it because I was not expecting to be at Sigrholm so fast!

And a big thanks to all who made the game and have posted great feedback here! I absolutely would have paid for DLC to unlock Tryggvi, but as it stands now, at least those making the game can rest assured that I am 100% behind the game and only wish I would have been one of the kickstarters. I just didn't know about it before I read a review of the game, though I had played Factions. Like everyone else on here, I am extremely excited about the next 2 chapters! I don't know how kickstarter works, but if there's a push to get a bit more funding for the next chapters, then I'll be on board.

Hmmm, interesting observation. I will double check this.

I've only taken that route one time, and I ended out pulling back with high losses after two wins in two hard battles (I think). From what I recall, even though I won twice, the game then "forced" me to retreat and take the round-road hinting that it was impossible to pass through. Perhaps it triggers with only the right set of choices and/or heroes and/or caravan-population?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Without playing the game, I checked though the game files. It seems like you're given the choice to cut-through the Dredge three times. Check these convos:

1. When you first reach Summer-Pass , you can either fight or take the round-road.
    2. If you win the first battle, you can either fight again or retreat.
    3. If you won the second battle, Hogun dies and you can either retreat or try to fight again. However, it seems that even if you choose to fight a third time, Iver stops you and forces you to retreat.

So, to make it simple: YOU SHALL NOT PASS! And, what's more, if you lose the first battle or if you fight the second one (win or lose), Hogun dies...

Are you sure you fought three times, and by winning all three you came much faster to Sigrholm? The game files don't seem to allow for this...

Thanks for the info. I guess I just dreamed that I had made it through once I wonder whether it's worth losing Hogun for the extra renown from 2 fights, because I believe that he finds berries at a godstone later on which really help with supplies on the High Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhuskermac View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess I just dreamed that I had made it through once I wonder whether it's worth losing Hogun for the extra renown from 2 fights, because I believe that he finds berries at a godstone later on which really help with supplies on the High Pass.
    I never really used the "Thrasher Bros" but I certainly liked having them around, when a rotation was needed. I usually invested on only one of the twins, the high-ARM one (Hogun, the scarless), so I'd prefer to lose the other twin in the Summer pass. Now, about the extra renown from a win in that second fight... Hmm... It should be around 10-15 depending on the difficulty setting.

If Hogun is still alive when you reach Bjorulf godstone, a special event is triggered where you can find a magic item, Tisterberry. The item itself is not so great: it's only rank-2 and you can also find than one in markets.

So, all-in-all, I think that this option-tree is fairly well balanced, unless by some personal whim you've spent a lot renown on Hogun.