Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyway to reallocate stats?

Is there anyway to reallocate stats?

In Factions I remember being able to reset stats and reallocate them. So in the campaign are you allowed to do this? And if so, how?

In the single player game you cannot reallocate stats. You can only add 2 points each time you promote a character. All characters start at Rank-1 and can be promoted up to Rank-5, thus a maximum of 8 points can be added. As in Factions, there are max-limits for each stat/character.

Check this wiki-article for more details: https://bannersaga.gamepedia.com/Leveling

PS -- There is "side-way", by means of modding, to allow hero restatting (only for the added 2-8 points), but that is not the developers intention for how the game should be played.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Thank you. Do you know where to find the mod or have a link to it? I prefer to be able to experiment when it comes to character/unit customization. Otherwise I am only taking shots in the dark. It struck me as very odd that there was no restating given how awesome the feature was in Factions.

Quote Originally Posted by khorven View Post
    Thank you. Do you know where to find the mod or have a link to it? I prefer to be able to experiment when it comes to character/unit customization. Otherwise I am only taking shots in the dark. It struck me as very odd that there was no restating given how awesome the feature was in Factions.
    You can download the modded file I use here, and then copy/overwrite it in the folder:

...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\tbs\assets\saga1 \saga_stat_costs.json.z

(don't forget to backup your original file, in case something goes wrong).

After that, load the load normally, and you should be able to remove points with R-click in the 'Heroes' tent, just as in Factions.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by khorven View Post
    Thank you!
    No problem! You tried it? Does it work?

I tried it, and it works like a charm
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

I think, therefore I am... I think.

Quote Originally Posted by YaK View Post
    I tried it, and it works like a charm
    Good There was actually a specific "flag-variable" just for that feature, in that JSON file. Apparently, it was disabled by default (set to "false"), so I just switched it on (set to "true"). But, honestly, I think there's only one or two optimal stattings for each unit, meaning that I rarely re-stat them. Besides, there's quite a few of them to choose from, especially near the end, that you don't really need this feature.

However, what would be much nicer is accessing (1) character restatting and/or (2) item/equipment from the 'Assemble Your Heroes' menu, just before each battle. Alas, I haven't found an easy way to "activate" this feature, and I don't think it exists...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Good There was actually a specific "flag-variable" just for that feature, in that JSON file. Apparently, it was disabled by default (set to "false"), so I just switched it on (set to "true"). But, honestly, I think there's only one or two optimal stattings for each unit, meaning that I rarely re-stat them. Besides, there's quite a few of them to choose from, especially near the end, that you don't really need this feature.

However, what would be much nicer is accessing (1) character restatting and/or (2) item/equipment from the 'Assemble Your Heroes' menu, just before each battle. Alas, I haven't found an easy way to "activate" this feature, and I don't think it exists...
    Very nice mod Aleo! IMO They should implement it into the base game! Btw, have you looked into tweaking population/nosupplies penalties, maybe increased morality drop when it is 0 supplies, or game ends automatically if it is 0 population.

Quote Originally Posted by roder View Post
    Btw, have you looked into tweaking population/nosupplies penalties, maybe increased morality drop when it is 0 supplies, or game ends automatically if it is 0 population.
    I am under the impression that the first patch kinda addressed this issue... That said, there's surely ways to tweak the death-toll or the morale drop related to starvation. However, that would require a lot of play-testing to properly balance, so I'd leave Stoic take care of that. Forcing a game-over when population reaches zero is a nice idea too; I've never tried that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    No problem! You tried it? Does it work?
    I tried it,thanks.

Sorry to "necro" an old thread, but seeing as recently there have been many updates to the game, and likely one of the files updated being the saga_stats.json, I am hesitant to replace my game file with the one you have provided. Could you give me the line of code that allows me to restate? And then I could paste it in using John's decompiler. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazolt View Post
    Sorry to "necro" an old thread, but seeing as recently there have been many updates to the game, and likely one of the files updated being the saga_stats.json, I am hesitant to replace my game file with the one you have provided. Could you give me the line of code that allows me to restate? And then I could paste it in using John's decompiler. Thanks.
    That particular file doesn't seem to have been touched by the updates, but here's the whole walk-through anyway:

1. Open John's TBS_Decompiler tool (or Zeno, which I don't recommend for such a simple operation)
    2. Browse to: ...\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\tbs\assets\saga1
    3. Open the file saga_stats_costs.json.z
    4. In the 10th row, or so, there should be: "allow_remove_stat_points": false
    5. Change the value to true (from false)
    6. Save the json.z file, exit the tool, re-launch game and re-stat at will

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fazolt View Post
    Thanks!
    So, you tried it? It worked fine? It's supposed to work just like in Factions, i.e. you add/remove points with left/right mouse click on each stat.

Yes, I did, it worked beautifully.

It's not at all an important issue, but this tweak don't work anymore with the latest patch, 2.18 branch.
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

Quote Originally Posted by YaK View Post
    It's not at all an important issue, but this tweak don't work anymore with the latest patch, 2.18 branch.
    I will check this when I get back home, but let me ask something first: Did you re-edit the saga_stats_costs.json.z file, after the latest patch was applied? It's very likely that after the update the file along with the original edits was overwritten.

Sure, it was a fresh install so i checked and edited back all my changes.

Yes, you are right. I confirmed that restatting doesn't work. Actually, I think that the R-click is totally disabled, and that is why it's not working. I mean, when you L-click on the stat icons, you hear a sound but (as expected) nothing happens as there's no free points to allocate. This disabling of the R-click most likely happened when they tweaked the game for touch-screen devices and gamepad support. I am gonna ask John about it.

EDIT -- Yup, John said they "killed" that functionality (i.e. the R-click) as it wasn't used for anything. So, that piece of code is obsolete, a left-over from the era when the TBS code resembled that of Factions (where L- and R-click are supported). TL;DR: No restatting
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 08-19-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast