Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Banner Saga 2 - how will the story continue?

The Banner Saga 2 - how will the story continue?

Hello everyone

I asked myself today how the second part of the story will unfold. I mean, the outcomes can be so different, some characters are alive, others are not. Do you have any idea of whether made choices will be carried over to the next installment of the game? It would make a lot of sense, but the again there is no way to manually save your game, so if you finished it more than once you really have only one savegame anyway...

Curious about your thoughts!

- Argail

It seems pretty obvious that the joined caravans, Varl & Man, will head south-west to Arberrang (human capital) or Manaharr (Mender HQ). I am not sure if they'll keep fighting Dredge as the main "meanies", or some other sort of enemy will emerge.

Now, from the character standpoint, it seems that you continue with either Rook or Alette heading the human caravan (and banner) originally from Skogr, with the aid of Iver, Juno & Eyvind. Not sure where Ubin, Hakon & Ludin will stand... Oddleif might propably become (even) more important, especially with that underlying romance thing with Rook. As for the various "support" characters that might or might-not be there (Egil, Ekkill, Eirik, Hogun/Mogun, Tryggvi, Nid, Yrsa, Gunnulf, Griss, Bersi, Krumr), well... we'll see

From a technical standpoint, I believe one could "load" a savegame (where all the above mentioned characters alive/dead are stored), or there could be a mini-game (e.g. like an unfurling banner) where you get to "choose" who got killed, what happened etc, like a quick-and-custom wrap-up of Part 1.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

You can always go into the (USER/AppData\Roaming\TheBannerSaga\Local Store\save) and copy over as many "saga1" folders as you want.

As far as the story goes, I'm not sure really. There are a lot of questions that were left unanswered and I'm curious how things turn out. I am looking forward to seeing the more southern regions of the world, as that is where it seems everyone will be heading. From the map it looks like there are some really cool locations that differ a lot from the colder regions in the north. I imagine the dredge will still be moving on south as they seem to have been doing, but I'm not sure really.

I suppose there is another option, rather than following the current caravans. It would not be out of character for a new caravan to be introduced, from another part of the map. I could envision a scenario where that new group starts their own exodus and has occasion to meet up with the Chapter 1 caravan for either a brief or extended time. This would help solve a number of big writing challenges, since neither Rook nor Alette would be needed as a "lead" character, and it would be much easier to write them in as secondary heroes (rather than write the whole story with either one or the other in a lead role, depending on your Ch. 1 save).

Also, this would address the inevitable promotion ceiling for many of the lead characters. If your core heroes remain the same for all 3 chapters, pretty soon you will have maxed all of them out. If they just add a few new heroes, there would still be little incentive to go to battle with anyone but your already buff Ch. 1 guys. And adding more levels above 5 would be a nightmare of disparity because of the number of possible choices, and would make gauging battle difficulty very hard. I suppose they could just reset all of the characters to level 1 at the start of the chapter, but that doesn't really seem right, either.
    Let the Sleeping Dog Lie!

See my album of Banner Saga crests here. Many thanks to everyone who displays my work!

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Great post and it's really cool to read all the responses. It's hard for me to hold off just blabbering about it all, but spoilers suck, so...

Quote Originally Posted by StandSure View Post
    ...the inevitable promotion ceiling for many of the lead characters. If your core heroes remain the same for all 3 chapters, pretty soon you will have maxed all of them out...
    Hmmm, thats true. I remembered it *had* bothered me a couple of months ago, but I then just forgot about it! Yeah, "fresh-meat" would do better, it seems!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    As for the various "support" characters that might or might-not be there (Egil, Ekkill, Eirik, Hogun/Mogun, Tryggvi, Nid, Yrsa, Gunnulf, Griss, Bersi, Krumr), well... we'll see
    That's exactly what I meant. And there is more: As shown in the open plot threat there are so many open storylines which yet have to come to a close. The only way to deal with all those is probably to carry the choices over to TBS II. Or to use an...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    unfurling banner
    I am completely and utterly in love with this idea!!! This would be an absolute blast to begin the second game with and it would probably just look sooooo beautiful...

It would be nice to see the rank cap raised, with a proportionate increase in difficulty for the fights. That would keep the main characters exciting, but they'd probably have to have an alternate way of ranking for new characters or have them start higher rank than before. Possibly the training tent in camp could be a way to get pseudo kills for the first few ranks, with a renown entry fee, or something to that effect.

If the story follows a canon arc rather than letting your choices continue on (which would be disappointing but much easier from a development standpoint), most likely the canon will be Rook sacrificing himself and Alette leading the caravan. It would be interesting to see which characters survive in canon, and if it's based on your own end game where the character development goes from there. For instance would Alette and Egil become an item, while if Rook survives his romance with Oddleif continues.

Playing an RPG like this, from a player standpoint it almost feels like a waste to not let our decisions carry on to the next game. I hope if it's at all possible that's the way the devs will go. It will be exciting to see how much the story changes through various choices and how it ends up with your characters, and would encourage multiple playthroughs to explore all the possibilities.

As for enemies, I can see us fighting more dredge, and probably a few of the non-immortal Sundr. It would also be nice to introduce new enemies and possibly even random "boss" encounters. If a shadow is creeping down from the north it stands to reason that the monsters of the northlands would be fleeing it, and you could end up fighting them. A bit more difficult to code new enemies, but it would add more flavor. You could possibly even introduce a new enemy besides human, dredge, and random monsters. Maybe rogue varl or remnants from Jorundr, or a new threat related to the shadow coming from the north, white walker style.

However it's done, I'm really excited to see what happens next. We'll probably get to see Manaharr destroyed by the dredge, or maybe Arberrang, while we do our hero thing defending it until it's time to cut and run. With the remaining Sundr and most of the dredge heading that way the battles are only going to get more intense coming up.