Thread: Banner Contest Winners

Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar

Banner Contest Winners

A heartfelt thanks to everyone who submitted a design for The Banner Saga’s “Creating the Banner” art contest. We were very impressed and humbled by the effort everyone made coming up with their designs to show support for the game and some of the results were fantastic.

Congratulations to the artists who’s designs were selected for the final community created banner.

1. Katherine from Farmers Branch, Texas

2. Jessie from Austin, Texas

3. Anna from Massachusetts

4. StandSure from Pittsburgh, PA

5. Ian from Eureka, CA

6. Chun-Chieh from San Deigo, CA

7. Brian from Boise, Idaho

8. Noah from Santa Rosa, CA

9. Tyler from Seattle, WA

10. Oleksandr from Foster City, CA

Over the next few days we will be highlighting the winning designs plus a few of the designs that didn't make it onto the final community banner but that the team felt deserved honorable mentions. You can view the winning designs by visiting our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/BannerSaga
    Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

Erik, could you copy-paste the highlight text and the images (or links) here too, for those of us that don't have/use/like facebook?
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Thanks for taking the time to copy-post those here, quartex I really could (and had) seen them, I just thought it "proper" to have some "official" posts here too.

Arnie said he'd highlight the 10 winning entries plus some more. I think that he doesn't say which-is-which intentionally, well, apart from "our very own", StandSure & gaelvin. When all are done, and provided that those image links are "fixed", we could transfer the posts & images here ourselves...

Quote Originally Posted by quartex View Post
    I can only find 9 pictures, so I know I'm missing one.
    The 10th was just posted this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/BannerSaga/...e=1&permPage=1

But like Aleonymous said, they were planning on showing some "honorable mentions" too. I have to assume these first 10 are the winners.
    Let the Sleeping Dog Lie!

See my album of Banner Saga crests here. Many thanks to everyone who displays my work!

Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar
    Correct - those first 10 are the winners. Honorable mentions will be listed soon!

I'm actually going to get the art added to a gallery on the website so that they live there.
    Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

Lo and behold... The Banner:

(from RTX 2014, TBS facebook)

EDIT -- Here is the "official" facebook post (4 photos), presenting the Banner: "Earlier in the year we held a contest for a community created banner. We got in a lot of great fan art and we had a lot of amazing comments based on the art you folks submitted. We want to say a huge thank you to Gamepedia for helping us spread the word about the contest, Without further ado, here's the community created banner for The Banner Saga . We'll be taking this banner with us to every event we attend and we'll proudly be showing it off everywhere we can! Thank you all so much!".
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 07-15-2014 at 07:51 AM.

I made a collage of the original designs of the winning contributions, in the same arrangement as they appear on the Banner:

Note: From what I can tell from the low-resolution photos published in facebook, one of the winning designs seems to be missing (#4 on the following list, this one), and there is an unidentified design (marked with "?"), in the leftmost part of the banner. Finally, the rightmost design (marked with "A") is in-game art, i.e. that of the Ingrid Godstone.

Also, copied from facebook, Arnie's comments on the winning designs, as numbered in my collage above (i.e. not in Myll_Erik's original post in this thread). Only the two artists of the community (gaelvin & StandSure) are explicitly named.

1. What a wonderful design. The graphic quality of the ships, animals, people and all the rest really makes it look like a design that has been stitched into a banner. My favorite area is the red banner in the back with it's many tails. Great stuff. (Published: April 10)

2. Nailed the style that we internally refer as "runic". The roughness of it and deceptively simple shapes at first glance sell the image. But upon closer inspection I can see elements within elements. The two caravans represented on either side of the design are climbing a mountain. Wait no...they're climbing a godstone type structure consisting of serpents bodies. Looking deeper they're on the head of a dredge. The sun symbol, the darkness to the upper right. Ludivine really knows his Banner Saga fiction. (Published: April 11)

3. This is exactly what I was hoping for when we opened the contest! The simple thread lines stitched in an archaic way look spot on for what we're trying to do here. I love the rendering of the vikings in the boat, perhaps doing battle with some of the sea monsters off the south east coast of the continent? Wonderful detailing. (Published: April 11)

4. [Not Included?] The many design elements and overall structure of this piece caught my eye. As I looked closer I saw how all the elements came together and it's fascinating. Really great layout for the entire piece. The fish/sea symbolism. The serpent stretching across the design creates the infinite symbol as the caravan makes it's way through. Really enjoyable to just sit and let my eyes digest it all. (Published: April 12)

5. Holy mackerel! I knew gaelvin was a great graphic artist, but this is stunning. It really looks like something that would be rendered in the Book of Kells or other work of genius from that time period. The color! Alette is set to sea in this finally and it reads as a perfect tribute to that scene. The water ripples coming off the small skiff. Arms folded passing heroes from the caravan all framed in the twin trees at nights ending. Wonderful work. Wow. (Published: April 12)

6. Fantastic graphical quality and idea to this one. The dark serpent coiled around the Wyrmspine Mountian range squeezing out the forces of dredge from the earth with Bellower in their midst. Not only is Standsure one of the most talented graphic artists in the community but he's obviously also a Banner Saga fiction buff. There's more to this piece than the sum of it's parts. Really well done. (Published: April 13)

7. I could throw this on a rock and it's an instant godstone. I like thinking of this as an incomplete or broken tablet. The simple, rough quality really makes it look like something from the time period that the Saga exists in and the symbology throughout sets a stage for the fiction rather than telling a specific story letting the viewer imagine their own. (Published: April 13)

8. I love an entire design devoted to one of my favorite characters, Oddleif! The style of the rendering and level of detail on the designs are exactly how I would render one of the godstone designs. (Published: April 14)

9. I liked the movement depicted here and the rough style of the rendering. Alette takes aim at the lumbering dredge as the caravan flees. The angular simple shapes will look great on the banner! (Published: April 14)

10. The simplicity of Alette shadowed by the omen of death titled Bellower is striking. I really like the details around the boarder as well. What does it say? (Published: April 15)
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 07-16-2014 at 03:50 AM.

Thanks for the info
    gclub โปรโมชั่น