Thread: Battle scale

Battle scale

Factions limits us to 6 units, which works quite well for a multiplayer game - it doesn't take that long for the turn order to swing back around, and there's a good number of Renown you can rack up to distribute among that many. I've joked around on IRC with intentionally shrinking your squad down to 1 or 2 badasses that - renown for renown - would blow vanilla mobs of 6 out of the water.

But in the single player mode, where you're the only one taking time to make decisions and the turns blitz by, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to limit the units so sharply. The massive caravan train in the previews implies that there are tons of warriors your side can draw on, but only being able to pick six for whatever problem arises strains suspension of disbelief a little.

I can see how having more units might pull a bit of a number on the game's normal tactical balance - but surely you can let that slide once in a while, as a special single-player treat?

The problem is that with the turn order working like it does, bigger battles will become quite wonky... to use a technical term.
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

big battles with, say, 12 units per side would be awesome. just imagine the warhawks opening paths through those big piles of meat.

plus many many more possibilities. i'd love to play those.

Also why not have 2vs2 games in Factions, a 6x2 team against another with custom builds could be fun.
    My beard is augmented.

2v2 where you get paired with a stranger could be a lot of fun for the spontaneous need to communicate and adapt to an unpredictable allied team composition.

Arranged 2v2 I'm not sure would add much since if you've got good communication with someone and plan out your builds ahead of time it doesnt seem like it'd be much different from 1 person controlling 2 teams. (Contrast with games like Dota where the non-turn based aspect requires teammates working in tandem.)