Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Banner Saga Localization Beta Test

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

The Banner Saga Localization Beta Test

Hello everybody, our next patch is almost ready, and we are excited to announce that includes translations for 5 more languages: German, Russian, French, Portuguese (Brazilian), and Polish. Spanish is coming in a few weeks and is not in this patch build.

If you would like to participate in testing the translations, please follow the instructions and read the Release Notes below. If you encounter any problems with the patch, or have any feedback and questions, please use this thread to discuss. You may also participate in the Steamworks forum if you prefer: https://steamcommunity.com/app/237990...2667756899958/

Instructions for participating in the Beta:

• Navigate to your Steam Client LIBRARY
    • Right-click "The Banner Saga"
    • Click "Properties..."
    • Click the "BETAS" tab
    • In the dropdown box labeled "Select the beta...", choose "localization"
    • Close the Properties dialog

The game should now start to update. When it is complete, you will be able to launch the new build of the game.

NOTE: Save file locations have changed. The new build will move your save files to a new location. See below for details.

RELEASE NOTES 2.5.52:

Localization

The game has been localized into 5 additional languages:
    • French
    • German
    • Russian
    • Polish
    • Portuguese (Brazil)

You can set your game language via Steam using the Properties->LANGUAGE menu. You can also change the language in-game via the options (Escape) menu. If the game language has been changed manually, the game should continue to start in that language until it is changed again manually, or until the Steam Client language changes and the client is restarted. If you select a language other than English, Subtitles should be enabled for you automatically.

In general, we want to GUIs to update immediately upon language change. Acceptable exceptions are:
    • temporary tutorial tooltips that are already displayed on screen
    • subtitles for video and VO for the duration of the current video or VO
    • chat bubbles that are already displayed on screen
    • The "Battle!", "Forge Ahead!", and "Pillage!" animations

Please take care looking for words that don't fit, don't appear, are incorrect, or are in English when they should not be.

Save Profiles:

There are now 5 Save Profile slots. When you create, resume, or load a game from a Save Profile, all saves for that profile go into a directory specifically for that profile. The folder is

The Profile menu is displayed when you attempt to Load or Resume a game from the Start Screen. When the player selects 'New Game' it automatically creates the new game in the next Profile, if one is available. If none are available, the Profile menu is displayed. If the player attempts to Load a game while playing, the Profile menu is never displayed.

The first time a player runs the patched game, her save files are automatically copied into profile 0 (zero). They are copied from the Local Store folder:

save/saga1/

into the Local Store profile folder:

save/saga1/0/

Bellower Fight

Made the Bellower fight easier by lowering his max str/arm for the second round in normal and easy mode. Also made his henchmen lower tiers.

All characters should now be un-wounded before the Bellower fight.

Incorrect caravan members:

Hogun and Mogun no longer join the caravan if they die in the fight outside the village where you first meet them. Repro: help the brothers in the fight at their village, lose the battle. The resulting popup says they were killed in the skirmish. They should no longer appear in the player's roster.

Fasolt no longer joins you in some circumstances after Einartoft. Repro: previously, if the player chooses to help Eyvind destroy the bridge at Einartoft, and the player fails the fight against the varl or surrenders, Fasolt will survive the bridge scenario. Iver appears and talks to Jorundr, who tells them to leave the city. Fasolt would then be in the party. Fasolt should no longer appear in the party in this scenario.

Battle GUI:

There are now hover/glow states for the small stars used for allocating willpower to attacks or abilities.

Miscellaneous Improvements:
    • Spelling fixes
    • Pixel gap removal
    • GUI Loading system
    • Texture size reduction

KNOWN ISSUES:

• Percent chance to hit is not appearing on the enemy popup when the enemy's armor is greater than the attacker's strength.
    • Subtitles don't automatically enable if the language is set from the Steam Client
    Last edited by John; 05-26-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks for the heads-up, John.

Two quick questions that might save all of us time & frustration:
    (1) How long do you intend to "run" this beta? Will it become inaccessible (back to patch #1) once it ends, or it will just "wait" for finalization/release?
    (2) What type/scale of feedback are you guys looking for, with this beta? As I said, I am not a native speaker of any of the five new languages, but I can imagine people whining about this-and-that not sounding nice (terms, mostly) etc.

I also got a glimpse of the Zeno tool, too. Pretty neat! I am gonna dive into it, once we're done with this localization beta.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 05-26-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Thanks for the beta access!

I've just had a quick look at the first few minutes of the game in German and have to say that there a quite a few issues that strikes the eye (and a few that are a bit more subtle).

1. Overlapping text when hovering over the willpower meter on the battle screen:

2. Cut off text on the end of battle screen:

- There is either a letter missing at the end of the text string or the German word "Belohnungen" ('Rewards') is cut off.
    - The promotion message in the middle of the prompt is probably also cut off, as the current wording does not make an awful lot of sense in German.

3. Save game names don't seem to be translated:

- This could be down to the profile slot having been populated with data before the localisation update was applied.

4. Awkward and inconsistent line breaking behaviour in help text boxes:

- The lines often break in the middle of the sentence. This could be down to manual line breaks being inadequately inserted in the German strings where the line length does not match with the original English.

5. Random set of characters at the beginning and end of a subtitle string:

- This is the only instance I have found so far and the characters could just be in the text file, but I thought I'd mention it here, just in case these are for some odd reason inserted by script.

These issues have been found on a MacBook 13inch in native retina resolution.
    This is it for the issues that could affect functionality, there are however a few linguistic issues that I thought are worth mentioning.

1. Dredge - Wüter:
    I'm not quite sure what to think of the translation for 'Dredge', which literally translates to 'someone who rages' or 'someone who causes havoc'. On the one hand it's quite creative, matches the general nature of the Dredge and has a nice mysterious ring to it, but on the other hand it looked somewhat out of place to me when I first read it. I had to actually think about what the word was referring to me, but I also think it has the potential to grow on me. When I personally thought of a translation for Dredge, I was thinking about a word that keeps the sound of the English with German spelling applied, such as "Dretsch" or "Dretschen". This would go in line with other race names such as "Varl" and also has very nordic sound to it.

2. Dredge Grunt - Wüter-Landser:
    Now, this one is a bit problematic. The German word "Landser" has quite a negative connotation. It is in fact just a word for a plain foot soldier, but it has been particularly used during WWII. Since then it has been somewhat discredited and is also the name of an infamous German nazi rock band. There are probably better words to translate 'grunt' which avoid the potential nazi reference altogether, such as "Fußvolk" ('foot soldiers') or the plain old "Soldat" ('soldier').

3. Poor ability translation:
    Some of the ability translations don't really match the context, up to a point where I would consider them mistranslations. For example, the German translation of 'rally' literally translates to "collection", and 'tempest' has been translated as '(thunder)storm'. For 'tempest' there would have been the word "Wirbelwind", which matches the context, perfectly describes the twisting motion of the attack and keeps the storm reference.

4. Generally inadequate translations:
    Don't get me wrong. Most of the dialogue translations are competent. There are no severe mistakes and some of the phrases have been translated excellently. One thing I noticed though, is that you can tell that the text has been translated from English, which is never a good thing for a localization. Sometimes the German doesn't feel natural, some conversations don't make perfect sense in German and often inadequate words have been chosen. For example, 'Governor' has been translated literally as "Gouverneur", which is a valid translation, but to match the medieval viking setting, the term "Statthalter" would have been much better. 'Landsman' as part of the 'light step' ability has been translated as "Landratte", which is a derogative term used by sailors to describe non-sailors and of course does not match the context here. 'Chieftain' in the intro battle has been translated as "Oberhaupt" ('leader'), which does not read natural and should have been "Hauptmann" ('chieftain') or "Anführer" ('ringleader'). The list goes on...

I don't think this thread is the right place to discuss every little linguistic nuance, that's why I'll leave it for now. If there are other Germans in the forum interested in discussing the German localization, I'd be happy to go into more detail, maybe in a dedicated thread.

To sum it up, I'd say the German translation has a lot of room to improve, which I think is a bit of a shame. The original English has such a dense and coherent atmosphere, but the German localisation somewhat fails to properly convey that atmosphere. Of course most of the raised points are highly objective, but I feel very passionate about localization, which is why I apply pretty high standards. Just out of interest, one thing I'd like to know is whether the game was tested by dedicated language testers or not. Is this what the localization beta is for, or have the localizations already had in-game quality assurance?

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    @Stobinator

1. Good catch. That might even overlap in english. What's with the English at the bottom of the screen though? Did you change the language to german while the bottom text was already displaying english?
    2. We caught alot of these but obviously not all. Will fix for the next build. Regarding the promotion message in the middle -- I don't think it is actually cut of. Perhaps the translation is just incorrect. In english this would have been "Tempered by blood, pain and resolve, Eirik is ready for promotion!".
    3. This is actually the new 'Profile' menu, which doesn't contain save names, but the "Day 1" should be translated. Will fix for next build.
    4. We can improve this. Some of the translations maintained the same relative line breaks (exactly as you surmise), but in general I've been trying to remove the hard line breaks when not absolutely necessary and just let the algorithmic line wrapping behavior handle it. From this image I would fix the tooltips for Renown (Ansehen wird durch...), Bio (Informationen: Hier erfährst...), and Ability (Fähigkeit: Dies ist die...).
    5. Those are the 'Inklewriter' specific italics characters not getting processed. Will fix

Regarding your linguistic issues, I am going to bring this up with our translation team for feedback. Thank you for bringing the issues to my attention.

To answer your final question, this public Beta is the first time we are testing the game for language content, and this is the purpose of the public beta. We have spent the last week doing QA but primarily by english speakers for the purpose of dealing with the technical issues such as words getting cut off, overlapping, not showing up in the desired language at all, etc... As you might imagine, we had our hands full dealing with all those issues.

At this stage I would like to use feedback such as yours to guide any necessary revisions by the translation team (and find any technical issues we may have missed). If you do end up involved in a dedicated German thread, I will include the translators on it so that they can read and perhaps respond as needed.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    1. The beta will hopefully no more than 1 day. We will incorporate any linguistic feedback, and deal with any technical issues that arise, create a final build, test it with our QA team, and release it.
    2. Technical issues such as words getting truncated or overlapped, english text appearing where it should not, will need to be addressed. Native or fluent readers in the target languages are encouraged to give linguistic and contextual feedback if anything feels incorrect or out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up, John.

Two quick questions that might save all of us time & frustration:
    (1) How long do you intend to "run" this beta? Will it become inaccessible (back to patch #1) once it ends, or it will just "wait" for finalization/release?
    (2) What type/scale of feedback are you guys looking for, with this beta? As I said, I am not a native speaker of any of the five new languages, but I can imagine people whining about this-and-that not sounding nice (terms, mostly) etc.

I also got a glimpse of the Zeno tool, too. Pretty neat! I am gonna dive into it, once we're done with this localization beta.

1. Doesn't overlap in English as far as I can tell. The English wording is much shorter ('Great Morale' vs "Hervorragende Moral", 'willpower' vs "Willenskraft"). And yes, the English at the bottom displays, because it was already on screen when I changed the language.
    2. There are definitely words missing in German then. Looks like the translations of '...and resolve...' and '...is...' are cut off. I'm gonna take a guess and say that the cut-off German is "... und Entschlossenheit ist ...", which would be positioned immediately after the second line and before the name of the character.
    4. There are also more of these on other screens. For example on the battle screen the help text for 'Stat Banner' and 'Horn' has awkward line breaking.

Thanks for answering my question. I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the low amount of overlaps and the like. German is usually very heavily affected by these issues, due to the enormous length of words and phrases. Especially for a PC game with variable screen resolutions, you did a great job on resolving these issues!

Надмозг отокуе или куплеты на длинном флаге корована

Русский с маленькой буквы в меню - это неправильно, ребята.
    Хотя, такой русский, возможно, и стоит писать с маленькой буквы
    PS: Заранее прошу прощения за излишнюю экспрессивность, но я очень долго ждал этого перевода и был очень разочарован

Вот список ошибок, которые я заметил с начала игры и не доходя до второго камня. Причем это самые вопиющие - некоторые фразы пришлось бы выписывать целиком, это уже выше моих сил.
    Времена глаголов, падежи, склонения, пунктуация, стилистика, грамматика... ничто не уцелело.

Here is a list of mistakes i found from the beginning of the game and to godstone of Denglr. And i must add that it`s only a small part of them - just the most stupid. Grammar, stylistics, sequence of tenses are almost totally ruined! There are no orphographical mistakes, though.
    I already mentioned translation of "warhawk" with word 'ветрогон', which means "someone who makes the wind blow" literally, but in fact it`s just a guy who farts or a remedy to ease this process (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carminative). If it`s a joke - it`s a bad one.

- ветрогон - это что? пукальщик? (https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ветрогонное_средство) Если уж не хочется переводить warhawk дословно как "ястреб войны", есть много хороших слов с подходящим смыслом: Буревестник там, Ураган, мало ли! Умение его назвать - широкий замах, вихрь.
    - пульсирующие клетки
    - полигон (казарма)
    - павильон (лавка, лоток, прилавки). Вообще очень много современных слов, которые портят атмосферу, и при этом легко заменяются на простые синонимы.
    - отрывок с явлением Эрика, который подошёл, приблизившись, и приступил
    - Убин: здесь все слегка хаотично (ыыы)
    - портового рынок
    - вы слоняетесь между рядами открытым лицом домов? (это машинный или переводчик слабоумен?)
    - если все думают, что я урабатываюсь вусмерть, откуда мне много знать? (что это?)
    - хадд прячется с взмахом руки эйрик
    - Гуннульф о новом прикиде: нет, просто купил их, пока вы ходили вокруг. Почему? (вместо "А что?")
    - клановцы, бойцы и варл (одинокий варл) (клановцы ? куклуксклановцы. заменить на - клан)
    - через несколько минут появляется эйрик с обветренным человеком (лицо, руки, жопа могут быть обветренными, но не человек)
    - эйрик стоит во главе стола с поднятым топором (что это? мЫшинный перевод.)
    - эйрик после битвы: А вот и они. (с ними покончено... не? да, вот эти ребята
    - эйрик выглядывает из окна в бухту (а чо, эпос же. вот он прямо в бухту и выглянул)
    - реплика Убина после фразы о кораблях, флагах и гостях безграмотна чуть более чем полностью.
    - варл ступает на пристань. Вы вспоминаете его молодую версию, расхаживающую (...шта?)
    - он пытается сказать то, что...
    - молодой принц людей отбросил свою тунику (либо, это был плащ, либо Лудин решил стриптиз устроить)
    - Стренд не чужой для варлов, но редко в нем бывает так много. (чегокого?)
    - женщина в красном подзывает вам взмахом (чего?) и стоит рядом (когда успела??), и, главное, смайлик "=/"
    - ношу десятины в столицу (пироги он бабушке носит! или налоги, всё таки. Еще и десятины во множественном числе. Две десятины - это уже двадцатина?)
    - выражение Лудина похоже на каменную стену. (сцуко, поэтично и безграмотно)
    - пить с весельем (беззаботно пить, не?)
    - интрига, чтобы создать родство... (это что там варлы задумали?)
    - воины следовали за тобой из-за того, какими поступками ты показал себя. (детсадовское построение фраз)
    - вы нетрезво встаете (вы встаёте, покачиваясь)
    - вы толкаете Вогнира: "ты нужен" (шта?)
    - где находится ваш караван в мире (в мире, что тут не ясно-то)
    - лед, который разрывает корабли (напополам, бля)
    - проведите еще несколько дней с мальчиком, старый друг (что за бабка пишет? что это за сюси-пуси? там вообще большая путаница с "вы" и "ты")
    - Терпением Лудина не тягаться с Хаконом (мЫшинный перевод)
    - караван, разбивающий палатки (всесте со льдом, который разрывает корабли)
    - путевая точка (и непутёвая тоже есть)
    - драгский. просто драгский. (и Драгунский)
    - "король лежит без движения, за исключением расползшегося пятна крови" (вот оно двииигается)
    - "вся эта еда. все что мы получим до начала зимы" (рыдаю)
    - не беги, дай мне подумать (Алетт стоит на месте! или нет?)
    - возвышается над людьми в тренировочном поле (мЫшинный перевод)
    - люди бегут от окраины (окраины чего? Москвы, видать)
    - ещё один вождь (почему не тан? дык индейцы же они все!)
    - Боже, Рук, не начинай говорить им, что я знаю, что делаю (да никогда, блеа, нет, нет... проспись, мЫшинный переводчик)
    - сколько мы ещё будем продолжать эту игру? (не знаю, с таким-то переводом...)
    - я убил достачно булыжников на своём веку (штошто)
    - Я принял кое-какие решения. Но скажите мне прямо, оба из вас...
    - обещайте что погибнете зря
    - вы вступаете на гор. площадь. толпы драг виднеются в каждом направлении
    - вождь съёживается ( как мошонка на морозе?)
    - это застало нас врасплох (что это?)
    - Это трудно, но вы тащите себя к двери тронного зала... (вы часто тащите себя?)
    - поднимаетесь на смотровую возвышенность (шта?)
    - Когда вы возвращаетесь к ним, вы видите, что были неприятности (не всё прошло гладко)
    - божий камень (просто камень. божий человечек, божья милость... "Камень бога Хридвальдира" или "Камень Хридвальдира")
    - бросают свои скудные пожитки у божьего камня Хридвальдира (здрасьте, божий камень Хридвальдир - приятно познакомиться)
    - я встрял нянчиться с кучкой слабаков (ох и встрял, кто-то решил щегольнуть знанием сленга...)
    - "Мы не хотим встречаться с ними наедине" (с драгами они, видите ли, свиданькаться не хотят, бессердечные, никаких охов-вздохов, не будет свидания!)
    - рассерженные члены клана ищут удовлетворения (Содом и Гоморра)
    - Не останется ничего забрасывать, когда придут драги. (мЫшинный перевод)
    - молотильщик (https://ru.masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Молотильщики) а трешер и в Африке трешер
    - проныра - бэкбитер (проныра всё равно не передаёт значения оригинала)
    - длинное знамя коравана (это они про баннер, про стяг-то свой)
    - я не хочу убивать человека (какого?)
    - вышивая новые куплеты на знамени (куплетисты, чо там)
    - потому это кажется таким отсталым (ааа?)
    - не видя,как они бежали свой город
    - стала вашим бременем
    - это выглядит не очень хорошо (выглядит скверно. - аа?)
    - в настоящее время никого не пускают (СЕЙЧАС, есть такое слово)
    - Каким-то образом мы попадём внутрь стен (вас, сцуко, замуруют там)
    - Постоялый двор забит беженцами, больными и ранеными, а также полон шума.
    - Что за хрень вы делаете (вопрос к переводчику)
    - Достаточно хорошо (пффф)
    - уже достаточно вещей пошло не так (видимо, нет - ни конца ни края не вижу этому издевательству над хорошей игрой)
    - нам придётся повторить это лишь позже. и я не потерплю всё это второй раз. (шта? мЫшинный перевод)
    - Странствующая дорога (как пьянствующее вино)
    - меня тошнит смотреть на эту помойку
    - опять этот смайлик "=/"
    - не стройте из себя крутого, юноша (шотошото? это что-за бабка переводит?)
    - Лудин посмотрел на вас так, словно вы только что ударили себя по лицу (шотошото?)
    - слухи распространяются и достигают Могра (кривота)
    - Вы спрашиваете, что они делают. "Разламываем тут всё" говорит он (кточтокому??)
    - у тебя есть один выстрел (мЫшинный перевод)
    - это не то, что я видел (мЫшинный перевод)
    - до вас доносится крик, стандартное приветствие варлов (мЫшинный перевод)
    - на вид их несколько сотен (на первый взгляд)

Дальше не осилил...

Стоики! Вам нужен хороший корректор.

Stoics! You need a good proofreader, corrector.

Such a good game deserves good translation!

А пока это напоминает известный скетч: https://youtu.be/7BAd6t9gBKc
    And original: https://youtu.be/2YYM209GJoE
    Last edited by visorium; 05-28-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Да, качество перевода очень низкое. Жаль.
    Sadly, current Russian version has a very poor quality.
    Last edited by mono; 05-27-2014 at 05:26 AM.

Some notes about the French version, although many of them might apply for all five languages:

1. Scaling of text-fonts for specific entries within the same menu/object. For instance, in the starting menu the "Chargement de la partie", or in the caravan population HUD the "Membres du clan", is visibly smaller. I can understand how this is necessary, but in some cases a better choice of words/translation could alleviate this "problem" (quote marks as it's not really a problem, just a necessary measure).

2. I confirm Stobinator's remark about awkwardly placed line-breaks on item tool-tip descriptions, for the french translation too. I don't have any screenshots though. Is the text wrapped automatically, or are the breaks are manually placed? I haven't spotted any such problems in dialogue or pop-up texts.

3. The in-battle banners "+1 Renomee" (Renown) and "Ameliorer" (Promotion) are not properly wrapped, i.e. they extend a bit to the right of the background-banner. Maybe that text should also be shrinked to fit?

4. The title "Terrain d'entrainement" (Proving grounds) seems to have invaded the "Heroes" and "Assemble your Heroes" menus. When the language is switched (in-game) to English and then back to French, it then appears correctly. However, it is slightly clipped on top (bad vertical alignment?). Note that I only change language in-game, not from Steam Properties. Also when/if this "Terrain d'entrainement" reaches Factions localization, it is partially covered by the Renown-banner (top right), so it will probably have to be shrinked too.

5. Hero injuries (e.g. "Injured!" and "2 Days", on the hero portrait, in the "Heroes" menu) are still in English.

6. Loading save games: The title/caption/description of the saved games do not wrap well in the left-side of the menu. Sometimes there's awkward line-breaks and spaces, other times the title extends to the right and falls on the screenshot of the save-game.

7. This could be a problem of my system, but the letters bearing french accents do no show up correctly in the subtitles of the voice-over parts (e.g. in introduction videos, or when entering a new location in close-caravan-view). In all other parts of the game, they show up correctly. This might not be a problem with players whose PCs/OSs are set in that language, or happen to be using the correct font encoding.

8. [Linguistic] The translation of some terms does not sound very well to me. Please note that I am not a native French speaker, but some things do strike as weird. For instance: The word used for Exertion ("Fatigue") has a negative connotation; maybe "Effort"? Also, the word for Promotion ("Ameliorer") is literally translated as "improve", whereas the original word ("Promotion") serves just as well in French!

9. [Linguistic] I can confirm Stobinator's (German) and Visorium's/mono's/Zogg's (Russian) remark that many parts of the script seem to have been translated sentence-for-sentence (or worse, word-for-word) which makes them sound "off" in a more general context... As this probably extends to the whole game, and for all five languages, I am not sure how much can be done. What I mean to say is that there's a LOT of room for improvement, via copy-editing & proofreading.

10. [Confirm Corrections] (a) H&M now stay dead, if you lose the fight helping them. (b) All hero-injuries are removed before Bellower fight.

11. [Known Issue?] STR-attacks never miss/deflect! Enemies consistently attack strength dealing 1STR damage; poor Iver@14ARM was owned by a swarm of <4STR grunts and was taken down after 3 rounds Is that some test-change you made for this build? I am sure it relates to the "hit-chance-not-showing" that you mentioned in the Known Issues, but it makes battles a bit harder to win
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 05-27-2014 at 05:37 AM.

@Aleonymous:

1. In general the system of shrinking text to fit is really helpful for localization, but I agree with you. When the difference in font size gets too huge, it just doesn't look very aesthetic and the translation should probably be shortened.

7. Was fine for German umlauts. I don't think this is related to the system's font setting, though. The font file delivered with the game contains the necessary characters and should display correctly regardless of system settings. Maybe a screenshot would help?

One other thing that I recalled:

12. In the Marketplace, when buying supplies, the text "1 point de Renomee apporte:" was also badly wrapped in its allocated space (too long) and it covered the value of that field.

Quote Originally Posted by Stobinator View Post
    7. Was fine for German umlauts. I don't think this is related to the system's font setting, though. The font file delivered with the game contains the necessary characters and should display correctly regardless of system settings. Maybe a screenshot would help?
    I'll try to get that when I get home. What I remember clearly, is that the preposition "à" looked something like "ŕ", and the accent circuflex (as in "être", the verb "to be") was equally strangely treated, maybe with an irrelevant letter with a cedille under it...

No need to hurry with release of russian translate like this. Russian fans of TBS did own translate and it is nothing to compare with this beta.
    Most russians who wanted TBS in native language loaded fan made translate. 4324 downloads.

https://www.zoneofgames.ru/games/bann...iles/5109.html

The Banner Saga deserves more, now i read dialoges like absurd comedy. alas! =\
    Last edited by Zogg; 05-27-2014 at 10:20 AM.

13.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #13
    All great feedback folks! I am working on the technical issues right now, and speaking to our translators about the linguistic issues you've brought up. We'll keep you updated with our progress. In the meantime, please keep letting us know about any problems you find.

I just downloaded the French version, I have not launched it yet but I checked the trophies and have some remarks:

Maître Tacticien (Master Tactician) : the text reads "Remportez une bataille en mode difficile dans la Tente d'Entraînement du camp en utilisant 5 unités de niveau 6.", whereas it should be "6 unités de niveau 5".

Some unit names are not sounding very well in French, or mistranslated.

Backbtiter is translated as "Diffamateur" which means slanderer... I would have used instead the French word "Fourbe" which means cunning/deceitful, perhaps in combination with another word, like "Pillard fourbe" or "Epéiste Fourbe".

Grudgewielder is tranlated as "Rancunier" (rancune in French means Grudge). I would have been more litteral and translated it as "Porte-Rancune" which imho sounds better.

Mender is translated as "Magnien", which does not mean anything in French (it's just a surname). My suggestion would have been "Raccommodeur" ou "Repriseur" (from the synonymous french verbs raccommoder and repriser which both mean to mend)

Eagle Eye is translated as "Œil de Lynx", which isn't bad but it's unfortunate that there isn't any lynx in Banner Saga, when there are plenty of eagles

Lancemaster is translated as "Maître Lancier". I agree for once.

Warden is translated as "Gardien". No problem with this one either. Same for Hunter translated as "Chasseur".

Warleader is translated as "Chef Guerrier". The use of adjective "Guerrier" doesn't sound very well, litteral translation "Chef de guerre" would have been better here.

Warmaster is translated as "Maître Guerrier", same as above I would have preferred "Maître de guerre" instead.

Warhawk is translated as "Rapace" (which means either avid, ravenous or bird of prey in French). To evoke the might of the Warhawk and to go well with his Tempest ability, I would have taken some liberty and used the expression "Foudre de guerre" which has the advantage of keeping consistency in the warrior class naming (with the "de guerre" qualifier)

I don't see any better option for the Provoker translated as "Provocateur", it fits quite well.

Shieldmaster is translated as "Maître Protecteur" (master protector), ok too.

Champion is translated as "Colosse" (colossus). It's not bad but why not keep "Champion" which have the same meaning in French?

Skystriker is translated as "Guerrier du ciel" (sky warrior). This one is difficult, the current translation doesn't feel right at all but I don't have any good proposition, perhaps "Décoche au ciel" - i.e. "shoots (an arrow) to the sky".

Translations "Archer de Siège" for Siege Archer and "Maître Archer" for Bowmaster are correct, I'm just wondering if they shouldn't be written au féminin "Archère de Siège" and "Maître Archère" as there are only archer women in TBS... ?

Trasher translation to "Massacreur" is quite good.

Finally, Raidmaster is tranlated as "Maître Assaillant" (master assailant). It's not bad, but I would have chosen "Maître Pillard" (master raider) instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gripho View Post
    I just downloaded the French version, I have not launched it yet but I checked the trophies and have some remarks
    Phew, thank god a native french speaker showed up; it would have been too few with only my poor contributions

I like the unit names translations you propose. I hope you come up with better translations for some of the rest of the terms used in-battle and elsewhere. That "Oeil de Lynx" confused me too; isn't there a "Oeil de <nom d'oiseau>" expression in french? The Skystriker's translation felt bad; I'd go for something really simple like "Archer du Ciel" or "Fleche Celeste" or something. Also, I'd avoid two/three-word names, but sometimes it's not easy. In this context, "Colosse" is for the Strongarm unit (not Champion), which is quite OK, imo.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 05-27-2014 at 11:23 AM.

16.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    @Stobinator: Interestingly, the font you see in the middle ("Beförderung!...") is in the wrong font. It looks like it all in Arial, but it should be in Minion Pro, and the name in the middle should be in Vinque. I'm going to try to address this in the next build, so please keep your eyes open. You should only ever see 2 fonts in the game (Minion Pro and Vinque). You should only see Arial if you are playing in Russian, and then only replacing Vinque.

JW

Dear John,

I became very sad because with the new patch my 100% complete fanmade hungarian localization became totally useless.
    Sadly every json.z file's structure changed. Is there any easy way to "convert" the "old" translated json.z files into the new ones (at least the conversation files)?
    It'd be a horrible long work with the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V solution with the 6-7.000 lines and hundreds of files.
    Thank you very much!

Best regards,
    Teomus,
    hungarian hobby translater

18.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #18
    I assume that you are referring to the cnv_*.json.z files that house the conversations. For this patch we have changed the way that conversations are loaded and localized. The cnv_*.json.z files from before still exist, but they are the english master copies. Additionally there is now a new strings file per conversation. These string files are located in:

saga1/locale/LOCALE/convo/

And from that point follow the same subdirectory structure as the conversations themselves. If you look at one of them as an example, the format is very simple, it is simply a conversation key/value replacement. The conversation options are handled as an array of options. For instance, saga1/locale/en/convo/part1/cnv_ally_egil.json:

Code:
    {
    	"convoUrl": "https://writer.inklestudios.com/stories/25rn",
    	"options": {
    		"skipMarkrookMark": [
    			"{skip}"
    		],
    		"youThinkAboutWha": [
    			"I've never seen a shield like that before",
    			"Iver seems to think you're pretty good",
    			"You're protective of Alette, huh?",
    			"I'm heading back to camp. Stay strong."
    		]
    	},
    	"stitches": {
    		"egilBetweenYouAn": "[egil] Between you and Iver, we're going to be ok, I can tell.",
    		"egilButIfYouWant": "[egil] But if you want, just call me Gil.",
    		"egilButIveBeenPr": "[egil] But I've been practicing with it since I was a kid.",
    		"egilDidHeSayThat": "[egil] Did he say that?",
    		"egilIDontHaveMuc": "[egil]  I don't have much else to do, and how many people get to train with a varl?",
    		"egilIUsedToSpend": "[egil] I used to spend a lot of time just getting used to lifting it.",
    		"egilIWantedToLet": "[egil] I wanted to let you know that I meant what I said before. About making sure nothing happens to Alette.",
    		"egilIWill": "[egil] I will.",
    		"egilImPrettyGood": "[egil] I'm pretty good with it now.",
    		"egilItsRookRight": "[egil] It's Rook, right? I know we haven't... talked much. Before now.",
    		"egilItsTheOnlyTh": "[egil] It's the only thing of my father's I have left. Then when my mother died... she gave it to me, before she died.",
    		"egilJustSeemsLik": "[egil] Just seems like... I could be a help to someone.",
    		"egilMyArmsFineIt": "[egil] My arm's fine. It's a strong shield.",
    		"egilOhAndIfYouNe": "[egil] Oh, and if you need something, let me know. I can do anything you need.",
    		"egilOhYeahImGrea": "[egil] Oh. Yeah, I'm great. Er, not great, considering everything that's... I'm fine.",
    		"egilRookIKnowIDi": "[egil rook] I know, I didn't mean...",
    		"egilThatsGoodImT": "[egil] That's good. I'm trying. Never had to fight anything like dredge before, but..",
    		"egilThatsWhatIWa": "[egil] That's what I want to be.",
    		"egilWellShesIDon": "[egil] Well, she's... I don't want her to get hurt.",
    		"egilYeahIDoubtTh": "[egil] Yeah, I doubt there's many. My father made this. It's solid metal, really heavy.",
    		"heRaisesItUpToSh": "/=He raises it up to show you.=/",
    		"rookDontWorryShe": "[rook] Don't worry, she can take care of herself, too.",
    		"rookEasyGilIKnow": "[rook] Easy, Gil. I know what you meant.",
    		"rookEgilOkGil": "[rook egil] Ok, Gil.",
    		"rookHowsTheArmEg": "[rook] How's the arm, Egil?",
    		"rookISawYouTakin": "[rook] I saw you taking some hard hits out there.",
    		"skipMarkrookMark": "{skip} mark1=rook mark2=egil",
    		"youCanSeeHisChee": "/=You can see his cheeks turn bright red.=/",
    		"youFindEgilJustO": "/=You find Egil just outside the camp, practicing his sword swings.=/",
    		"youThinkAboutWha": "/=You think about what to say.=/"
    	},
    	"urlKey": "25rn"
    }
    The format of the actual conversation files should not have changed at all. If you unzip your changes back on top of the conversation files, and set your in-game language to 'english', you should still see the translations. I don't think that the conversations load the 'en' string files, but I could be mistaken. I'll check on that now. If, not I have a tool in the Zeno editor that allows me to generate string files from the conversation files. We can use that to convert your translations into the loadable string files.

Quote Originally Posted by Teomus View Post
    Dear John,

I became very sad because with the new patch my 100% complete fanmade hungarian localization became totally useless.
    Sadly every json.z file's structure changed. Is there any easy way to "convert" the "old" translated json.z files into the new ones (at least the conversation files)?
    It'd be a horrible long work with the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V solution with the 6-7.000 lines and hundreds of files.
    Thank you very much!

Best regards,
    Teomus,
    hungarian hobby translater

i took a look at the portuguese translation and there are some mistakes, it is still understandable, but far from the correct portuguese. There is another major problem, the word "Shieldbanger" is translated as "Escudo" and "Escudo" actually means "Shield", Shieldbanger should be "Destruidor de Escudo"(like "Shield braker") or "Escudeiro"(like "protector" or "defender") depending on how you want people to see the class, so far that is what i have to say... i'm still playing the BETA and will report you if found another big problem like this.
    Thanks stoic for being worried about the translations.
    RoyalFKR
    RoyalFKR
    www.thebannersagabr.wix.com/home

Ah, there is some missing words in some dialogs too, i'm really sorry i don't have enough time to look at this with more patience, i really love the game and was waiting long for the translation. i wish i could help a lot more but got a lot of other stuff to do.
    Stoic, please keep going with this game and trying to get better.

RoyalFKR
    RoyalFKR
    www.thebannersagabr.wix.com/home

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast