Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Banner Saga Localization Beta Test

OK, here's some problems with the French translation, as captured in images. I think those problems will occur in most other languages

[Font/Text] Marketplace: Text overflow

[Font/Text] Assemble Your Heroes: Badly titled as "Proving Grounds" (and overlaps with Renown banner)

[Font/Text] Bad Text Wrap

[Font/Text] Bad Text Wrap

[Font/Text] Font-scale inconsistency: Here we got three different sizes. Its too much. All words should be of same/similar length, at least.

[Font/Text] Load Game: Missing month name. I guess it tries to retrieve it from my local-settings (Greek OS), and fails...

[Font/Text] Load Game: Save-game caption overflows onto the location snapshot (and missing month, too)

[Font/Text] Font Encoding: Some characters are wrongly displayed. This problem only happens in those VO captions.

[Linguistic/French]: Exertion is poorly translated to "Fatigue". I propose "effort" or "excès".

Some more stuff:

1. [Linguistic/French] Warden's ability ("Rally") is translated as "rassemblement". The correct term is "ralliement".
    2. [Linguistic/French] I noticed that there's a lot of "formal plural" used... I can't express how weird it sounds when Hakon tells Ludin --politely-- to F*** Off!
    3. [Confirmed Corrections] Bellower stats are lower in 2nd phase, for Normal & Easy, and his bodyguards are lower-tier. I haven't checked if all silver-arrow bugs were fixed. Does it require WP to use the arrow, now?
    4. [Lingering old bug] After Rook's fall, and just before ending sequence, hooded-Alette's description in hero-tent is (still) broken/void.
    5. [Suggestion] You could use an indicator when the game is autosaving/overwriting, in a checkpoint slot and in the "active" slot. I am imagining your rotating triskelion-device, along with the words "Saving..."
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    @Aleo: The missing months thing has something to do with your system settings. Can you tell me how you have your system localization settings configured. Also, would you please send me your game log file so I can take a look there as well?

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #23
    Update: 2.5.55

Changes:

NOTE: Fix invalid italic mark =/ in german vedrfell convo: '=/Die Geräusche sind leise. ...'
    NOTE: Fix issues with Match Resolution 'Promotion' text getting cut off
    NOTE: Fix issue with bad line breaks in Heroes Details for german
    NOTE: Fix issue where 'Day' was not translated in the Save Profile selection screen
    NOTE: TBS-989 Pressing Esc while information is up on Heroes screen will exit fullscreen
    NOTE: Expand the available/cost fields in the marketplace screen
    NOTE: Improve fit of French +Renown and Promote! banners

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    @Aleo: The missing months thing has something to do with your system settings. Can you tell me how you have your system localization settings configured. Also, would you please send me your game log file so I can take a look there as well?
    Indeed. I changed my Win7 regional-settings (namely the date format) from Greek to English/US, and everything showed up fine. I remember this issue on the previous builds too. I personally don't really mind that, but it might be happening for all non-English-OS players; so, if it's something simple to set right... I've emailed you my log-files.

Changes:
    NOTE: Fix issue where 'Day' was not translated in the Save Profile selection screen
    NOTE: Expand the available/cost fields in the marketplace screen
    NOTE: Improve fit of French +Renown and Promote! banners
    Correction confirmed (for French at least; I didn't bother to check the other languages )
    You changed something here? It looks kinda better, but still not quite well (for French)...
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 05-28-2014 at 03:23 AM.

Here's some more stuff about the French translation (hopefully the last; I'd appreciate a cross-check with a french speaker, e.g. gripho)

1. [Bad Text Wrap][Translation Consistency] (help of "Heroes" menu)

2. [Bad Text Wrap] (help of "Heroes\Character" menu)

3. [Linguistic/Stylistic]: HUD looks bad. Instead of the long "membres du clan" we could have a simple "paysans" (peasants); Instead of "combattants" (which is internally used to denote the sum fighters+varl, for War purposes), how about the term "guerriers" (warriros)? Finally, Varl starts with a lowercase letter, which is inconsistent with the rest of the entries.

4. [Text Wrap]: Most of the Battle-UI hover-tooltip/descriptions that have been auto-shrinked are badly wrapped. Instead of Middle/center they show Top/Left. That counts for the tooltips for {Move (action button), Rest (action button), Active-ability/Rank (stat), Break (stat)}.

5. [Linguistic/Term translation]: Kindle has been translated as "Incendie", that means fire... In my understanding, your choice of "Kindle" for the Stoneguard ability doesnt refer to the action of starting a fire, but, to the action of chopping down a large block of wood into smaller pieces, to be used as "firelighter" (material that catches fire easily).

6. [Possible Bug]: I am not sure about this existing on previous builds but here goes -- Is the "bleed" debuff applied to an "impaled" enemy only when there is room for him/her to be moved-back by the kick?

There are quite a lot of text wrapping issues overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    1. [Bad Text Wrap][Translation Consistency] (help of "Heroes" menu)
    "Equipe" (team) is a correct translation for Party in this context, "Escouade" (squad) may be fine as an alternate translation to make a better distinction between the party and the full roster.

"Remplaçants" (replacements) may be too sport-connoted for the roster tranlation, "Troupe" (troop, band) may be better.

"Améliorer" (improve) might be replaced by "Promouvoir" (promote) or "Promotion" (promotion).

On the promotion screen, "Obtenir des statistiques plus" is not even a complete setence in French... It should read "Augmenter les statistiques" instead.
    "Augmenter le rang de l'objet" is a litteral translation but leads people to believe the rank of the item the unit is wearing will be increased during promotion, improving the item. I would have put instead "Porter des objets plus puissants" (wear more powerful items). In the confirmation screen, "X de Renommée" (X Renown) should be replaced by "X points de Renommée" ("points" cannot be implied here in French, contrary to English). BTW, globally "Renommée" may be replaced by "Renom" which is a quasi-identical synonym in French (both are being translated by Renown in English, the only distinction is that "Renommée" shoud only apply to living things, whereas "Renom" can also apply to inanimate objects), and being shorted will cause less text wrapping issues.

In proper French, the unit class should also be placed before the rank: "Maître Lancier rang 2" instead of "Rang 1 Maître Lancier" for example.

There's also a problem with the names on the town/camping screens, as they are (with good cause as they are actually images) not translated in the screen, but translated in the texts that mention them (tutorials, etc.)...

3. [Linguistic/Stylistic]: HUD looks bad. Instead of the long "membres du clan" we could have a simple "paysans" (peasants); Instead of "combattants" (which is internally used to denote the sum fighters+varl, for War purposes), how about the term "guerriers" (warriros)? Finally, Varl starts with a lowercase letter, which is inconsistent with the rest of the entries.
    I agree with Aleonymous proposed alternate translations "Paysans" and "Guerriers".

French translation

Thanks for the thorough feedback, gripho!

I was thinking that the battle-summary fields could also be better translated and thus "text-length-homogenized":

1. "Meurtres", thats fine even though its more akin to murder rather than defeat... Perhaps "Ennemis Vaincus" (enemies defeated)?
    2. "Victoire" would serve just as well.
    3. "Paysans tués" (clansmen killed)
    4. "Guerriers tués" (fighters killed)
    5. "Varl tués" (varl killed)
    6. "Héros Blessés" (injured hereos)

Hi John,
    today I had another chance to have a quick look at the German localization. First of all I have revised some of your fixes.

Changes:

NOTE: Fix invalid italic mark =/ in german vedrfell convo: '=/Die Geräusche sind leise. ...' - Didn't get around to revise this one
    NOTE: Fix issue with bad line breaks in Heroes Details for german - Verified fixed

NOTE: Fix issue where 'Day' was not translated in the Save Profile selection screen - Verified fixed in German
    Unfortunately I have found a few more issues, not to mention a good deal of linguistic issues, such as serious mistranslations and typos.

1. Text overflow when hovering over an injured hero on the hero screen:

- This could well be fixed by removing the line break after the first sentence.
    SIDE NOTE: Not sure if there's anything you can do about it, but the dots of the German umlaut Ü are slightly cut off at the top of the screen. Not really a big deal though.

2. German text is cut off when adding an item to a hero:

- The German word "Gegenstände" is cut off quite a bit.

3. Some more bad line wrapping in the promotion confirmation modal:

4. Overlapping text for long character names on the conversation screens:

and

5. Untranslated line of dialogue right before the fight that follows after first meeting Hogun and Mogun:

- The rest of the conversation was in German.

6. Very small and barely readable text in the ability description boxes when text is fairly long:

- Could these be wrapped? It looks like there would be enough space. If not the text should be shortened.

and there is an issue with the variables in the German string of the siege archer's ability description:

7. German text is overlapped by skull icons on the war summary screen:

- The German words "Getötete Gegner" are slightly overlapped by the skull icons, when killing a lot of enemies during the battle.

8. German heading of the war summary screen is cut off when losing the fight
    - Didn't manage to grab a screenshot, but on the first screen of the war summary (or battle summary) the German word "Niederlage" ('Defeat') is only half way visible.

Note: the Exertion translation by "Fatigue" makes me cringe as well. "Effort" would be much more in line with the actual meaning.

I'm at chapter 3 now. All in all, there are only a few big actual misinterpretation in the translation, but any French native speaker will have the feeling that parts were translated almost word for word, and seem off or don't sound very good in French (or in some cases aren't proper French). Context is often not taken into account.

What would be the best way to retrieve the English script to compare? Lots of time I find a sentence that doesn't feel right, but I don't have the original to compare it to.

French translation

Thanks for the thorough feedback, gripho!

I was thinking that the battle-summary fields could also be better translated and thus "text-length-homogenized":

1. "Meurtres", thats fine even though its more akin to murder rather than defeat... Perhaps "Ennemis Vaincus" (enemies defeated)?
    2. "Victoire" would serve just as well.
    3. "Paysans tués" (clansmen killed)
    4. "Guerriers tués" (fighters killed)
    5. "Varl tués" (varl killed)
    6. "Héros Blessés" (injured hereos)
    I think "Ennemis Vaincus" is better than "Meurtres", but is perhaps to long. In my opinion, "A vaincu" (has defeated) followed by the number of skulls would convey the meaning well enough while staying quite short.

I agree for "Victoire" instead of "Bonus de victoire". I might maybe keep "perdus" instead of "tués" to convey precisely the meaning that these are people that were killed by the ennemy, but in shorter form like you did: "Paysans perdus", "Guerriers perdus" and "Varl perdus".

And definitely, "Héros blessés" would be preferable to just "Blessures".

Some of Stobinator's observations also count for the French translation:

1. "Heroes" (and "Assemble your Heroes") screen is wrongly titled as "Proving Grounds". Also, that title is clipped on the top. As I said, toggling language to English and back, corrects both title & clipping.
    1. "Injured!" and "Days" are not translated.
    4. In conversations, sometimes the speaker-name (in the blue banner, bottom left) overlaps with the small-speaker-portrait.
    6. The ability description fonts are too little. I don't really mind that though, on a big-monitor PC cuz I prefer an accurate description.

And, here's some more "fresh" notes:

a. [Text Wrapping]: Text overflows from banner, in the bottom. This is the pop-up for the random event triggered by low-morale, where Varl are telling fame-and-glory stories while drinking.

b. [Translation Missing]: All in-battle fly-text (Resist, Deflect, Dodge, Critical etc) is still in English.

c. [Possible Bug?]: I won the first phase of a War, decided not to take up a second phase, and I was granted an item. I thought those were given only when you won both "dredge waves" in Wars...

d. [Dialogue Markup Error]: In the convo between Rook/Alette/Eyvind/Jorundr in the beginning of Chapter 5, a markup remained in the text (the mark "[rook]" denoting that camera looks on Rook; didn't take a snapshot, sorry!)

e. [Translation Errors]: Sometimes the dialogue lines of a character start with a lowercase letter. I noted that 4-5 times when the sentence started with the word "Ça" (This).

Another localization problem for the French version:

The unit-name banner (@bottom-left corner, between unit-stats [left UI panel] & turn-queue [bottom UI panel]) for some enemies is too short, with the unit-name being truncated, i.e. it does not bleed to the right of the banner. I noticed that for the Dredge Slag Slingers, whose French name is too long and I can't remember it now

Another localization problem for the French version:

The unit-name banner (@bottom-left corner, between unit-stats [left UI panel] & turn-queue [bottom UI panel]) for some enemies is too short, with the unit-name being truncated, i.e. it does not bleed to the right of the banner. I noticed that for the Dredge Slag Slingers, whose French name is too long and I can't remember it now
    I noticed that one in German, too. To me it looks like long unit names break onto two lines and the second line is not displayed. Screenshot below, the German word for 'Dredge Slag Slinger' is "Wüter-Schlackeschleuderer".

Some item explanations, namely the "Knockback-at-X-Strength" ones, are wrongly translated in French.

Bjorulf's Blessing:

Obsidian Powder:

(this probably happens also for the "Studded Pommel" item, but I haven't seen it)

The text translates to: "Attacks of Strength X are avoided (évitées)". Probably the translator misunderstood what knockback meant. I'd propose something like "Attaques de Force de X pousse cible 4 carreaux".

Talking about item-property translations, I love how the French did the "AGGRO" (aggression modifier, that makes a unit more likely to be attacked by enemies): "Chercher la bagarre" which literally means "searching for trouble/fight"

16.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #36
    Build 2.6.10

The Localization Beta has been updated with the addition of Español, as well as a few bug fixes.

NOTE: Fix overlapping/cutoff title text in Heroes/Assemble Heroes screens
    NOTE: Fix corrupted text in french VO subtitles
    NOTE: Localize 'Skipping Turn' and Bellowers 'Stunned - Skipping Turn' flytext
    NOTE: Heraldry: Fix label layout for long text on KS thanks and search fields
    NOTE: convert both intro videos to 720p 24fps FLV
    NOTE: Fix german battle tooltip layout
    NOTE: prevent AIs from mistakenly attempting to use willpower on actions/attacks that they already spent on movement

The translation team is working on consolidating your feedback so far. We will update the game with a revision in the near future.

Thanks everybody, and keep on testing! Steam Client usually takes up to 30 minutes to update, so if you aren't seeing the new build, try restarting the Steam Client.

JW

[Bug-Report] Googly Eyes Bug

Hi!

I've only registered to this forum to report a bug that made me laugh quite a bit .
    Since I'm not allowed to create a new thread and because I'm playing the Localization Beta I'll just report it here.

It happened only after a download of an update of 230.6MB which was today, so I think I have the newest Build.

[STORY SPOILER WARNING]

https://imgur.com/fGSLMmi,a2yVnYx#0

thanks for reading.

Black1ce

Build 2.6.10
    NOTE: prevent AIs from mistakenly attempting to use willpower on actions/attacks that they already spent on movement
    I never noticed that bug... You mean that AI-controlled units had access to more willpower than they were supposed to? Or, that they *thought* they had more WP, which screwed-up their decision/move-making?

Speaking of AI bugs: Have you cornered the "enemy-in-range-but-does-not-attack" or the "friendly-fire-Kindle" ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Black1ce View Post
    [STORY SPOILER WARNING]

I saw that too. I thought it might be just my case, and I didn't have time to relaunch steam & game to double-check. But, it seem that is a bug and a funny one at that!
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 06-04-2014 at 08:35 AM.

19.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #39
    Heheh, that is a funny one. I know exactly why it is happening as well. Thanks for pointing it out! I'll have a fix in the next build.

Quote Originally Posted by Black1ce View Post
    Hi!

I've only registered to this forum to report a bug that made me laugh quite a bit .
    Since I'm not allowed to create a new thread and because I'm playing the Localization Beta I'll just report it here.

It happened only after a download of an update of 230.6MB which was today, so I think I have the newest Build.

[STORY SPOILER WARNING]

thanks for reading.

Black1ce

20.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #40
    In most cases, you should be able to hit ESCAPE and use the Options menu to switch the language back to English to see the original text.

Quote Originally Posted by gripho View Post
    I'm at chapter 3 now. All in all, there are only a few big actual misinterpretation in the translation, but any French native speaker will have the feeling that parts were translated almost word for word, and seem off or don't sound very good in French (or in some cases aren't proper French). Context is often not taken into account.

What would be the best way to retrieve the English script to compare? Lots of time I find a sentence that doesn't feel right, but I don't have the original to compare it to.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast