Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Random Build Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous
    see that you didn't allow ranks-change, so I hope you can both do all builds (I am worried about that r3 WL on T3).
    Yeah i only have him on lvl 1 and SA only on level 2. But i will work on that, and maybe when visorium is less busy again i will have it done.

Excellent builds, Aleo! Fight promises to be interesting.
    I'll be back

Seems like we found the weak spot of the free system "do whatever you are pleased with" - visorium and I dont agree on terms^^

He would like to choose one of the builds for each fight.
    In my opinion its more both more fair and more interesting (since more random) to both take them in the order that Aleo drew them.

So what to do now? Does someone of you decide? Do we flip a coin?

one game - one build, in what order you choose them - it's yours.
    In my opinion, the less anybody chooses - the more randomness. it's simple and good

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
    Seems like we found the weak spot of the free system "do whatever you are pleased with" - visorium and I dont agree on terms^^

He would like to choose one of the builds for each fight.
    In my opinion its more both more fair and more interesting (since more random) to both take them in the order that Aleo drew them.

So what to do now? Does someone of you decide? Do we flip a coin?
    I say, solve this like grown-up vikings at the Mead-House: Pick your best team (not random, of course), fight a single match to the death and let the winner decide which way it's gonna be

Other solutions are:
    1. One of you two should stand down (i.e. compromise)
    2. You can use whichever build, but you'll have to announce it first. For example, Visor: [V2 V3 V1], Tyrael:[T1 T3 T2]. Practically, this means that you are allowed to re-stat your units after you see opp's build.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by visorium View Post
    one game - one build, in what order you choose them - it's yours.
    In my opinion, the less anybody chooses - the more randomness. it's simple and good
    Actually I'm not 100% sure anymore if I understand you correctly. The least option to choose is exactly what I suggested, isnt it?
    I agree on that, which is why I would like to have it fixed - build #1 for both of us for match #1.
    Did I misunterstand you?

@Aleo: I dont think we would even have to do that fight :P
    And for option 2 I guess we would have to announce that simoultaneously... I think my issue with this that the more experienced player can put the worst build on the last spot, which raise his chances. How did you and gumpy do it?

And for option 2 I guess we would have to announce that simoultaneously... I think my issue with this that the more experienced player can put the worst build on the last spot, which raise his chances. How did you and gumpy do it?
    You could send me a PM with the order you choose, and I announce them here, when both of you have told me. Me and grumpy weren't so fussy about it, so we just posted our decisions here ourselves The difference was that we had 6 builds each, so that each of us got to "veto" 3 builds from the opponent! The order was left completely to our choosing.

And, by the way, I am not sure in which order one should use the builds. For example, one would argue that "using the best first" is the optimal way, to finish it without need to go to third match...

I call it "Bloody Fail"

So we play in the same order as shown in the Aleo picture?
    And no claim to the fact that someone have more viable builds?

All misunterstanding in my side...
    I would not want to offend someone (especially me myself)
    Last edited by visorium; 08-04-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Exactly =)

Well, let's try again! Call ya guys

Quote Originally Posted by Rymdkejsaren View Post
    You guys should have poked me on steam!
    Haha, that's what I've thought too when seeing it on a Stoic facebook post by sheer coincidence.

Anyways, will be back in the evening to check how're you doing here, tournament always looks interesting.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

visorium and me had 2 awesome matches, each one of us winning one of it.
    He recorded the first one and I did the second one, here it is: https://www.twitch.tv/baltamos/b/555563586

Last edited by visorium; 08-07-2014 at 03:46 PM.

visorium and me had 2 awesome matches, each one of us winning one of it.
    He recorded the first one and I did the second one, here it is: https://www.twitch.tv/baltamos/b/555563586
    End-game was weird. You let his Backbiter hit your Warrior by withdrawing your (full-health!) Strongarm. You could have finished the match then.
    I think Visorium spread his troops too much and lost turns. The units that engaged were decimated by your three Archers setup.

This first game was very impressive! Visorium's untouched Raidmaster managed to completely turn the tide!
    I think Tyrael should have aimed for the Pillage sooner. The Warhawk could have been positioned better too. The Strongarm ability was devastating!

visorium and me had 2 awesome matches, each one of us winning one of it. He recorded the first one and I did the second one, here it is: https://www.twitch.tv/baltamos/b/555563586
    Thanks for the videos guys It looks like you're heading for a big "Final" there, like me-vs-grumpy. May the best viking prevail!

First Match: Oh, what a weird battle! Seems like the infinite-timer was responsible I'd lay my thoughts from both your perspectives. Make what you will of them:

Visorium -- What was that with the 9WP/1EX SRM? I'd have tanked both Varl to full STR and ARM, and left the breaking only to SAs and RM. Concerning your deployment, I'd have put raiders up-front and let my SAs loose fire on enemies, protected behind raiders and SRMs. Also, doing two SnBs wouldn't be my first choice in the first round, especially if there's fear of losing one of them without ability to retaliate (due to low-STR allies). SnB's WP-efficiency is bad compared to a 5AB, unless its a rank-3 and with at least two adjacencies (6 damage = 3ARM+1STR on target, +2STR on adjacent targets). Zeroing the ARM of the WH was a good move, as long as you carefully kept your RM (who acted right after him!) in-range and at full health. Having your high-STR SRM get maimed was unfortunate, but no better move as things were... I think you played along Tyrael's series of mistakes quite well, making excellent use of SRM rams and finishing off his SS and WH in "voodoo magic" style!

Tyrael -- Interesting deployment, robust stats (except the 1AB on Provoker), and good moves in engagement-stage during early-game. Very good use of RoA to lock down the "werid" SRM for three rounds! Personally, since it was just rank-1 traps, maybe I'd have walked into one of those traps; a 9/8 SS shouldn't scare a 15/10 SRM! At mid-game, I'd have focused my two archers on killing one of the SRMs as soon as possible. Overuse of RoA traps and focusing on WP-less TH (and not killing him!) wasn't such a good idea. That off-battle WH, scaring nobody, was also awkward. I'd have brought him in for a kill (or maim) much earlier, and then use him as a blocker to protect my archers. Finally, a series of bad choices (IMHO) near the end:
    1. Why not kill SRM with TS's BF @ 23m50s? Looking at how the match went, with a small dose of luck you could have gone on pillage vs RM maybe with 4-5 of your units alive!
    2. Then, I'd have broken the RM with SA @26m30s; the 5STR SRM you chose to attack couldn't harm anything but waste WP on breaking your PK.
    3. Game-decider move: I'd have killed the black SRM with WH @28m30s; no worry about RtF; his RM can only come and clip your SA while risk getting in-range of your WH; also you'd have 1WP to Malice somebody. After you failed to engage WH for 3rd or 4th round, it was all laid-out for Visor to ping-pong him into his RM's range and finish the game.
    4. But, even then, I'd have used the WP to move the SA @29m20s four tiles North-East (thus blocking his 1EX RM from getting at WH) and just break the RM...

Seems like infinite-timer messes you up more than limited-timer and first-time streaming!

Second Match: A "normal" battle This time with limited timer!

Visorium -- I'd have brought a 3EX TS against three archers; he was rank-3 so he had so much points to spare. I'd have used the two raiders on the flanks and use the Varl in the middle to soak up damage and WP. Also, during engagement-stage, I'd have placed my WH in-range of his WM, to bait him engage (or scare him off). You'd have lost your high-STR unit, OK, but his WM would have died then and there while yours would live to do a couple of SIs and flank the archers. Then, oh, that SnB again! And then another one instead of breaking that SRM's ARM... I would have (maybe) engaged with BB, with a rank-3 RT on WM, that would have saved the SM and "relieved the tension" in the area; you see, you had two units off-grid (BB &WM), while Tyr's were all in-range and killing off your units one by one... Then, you left another opportunity for RT (on SA) go away; it now looked like the first match where Tyr's WH wouldn't engage! By 21m30s it was already gg; I don't think the 5-vs-2 turn-advantage could save you, against that full SRM...

Tyrael -- Ideal deployment: SRM on the side (looming with the scary "push somebody into WM's dish" move), archers huddled in the corner, RM ahead and WM guarding the exposed flank. SRM retreating after killing SA was a weird move, at that moment, but it proved your salvation! Looks like the roles where reversed in this match: this time it was you who played along Visorium's mid-game (and engagement) mistakes perfectly and came off quite clean.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 08-08-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Me and Yngvar game will be played on sunday. Format will be this:

Bo3
    P6
    2 varl, no P0
    No changing team order
    10 random teams drawn, select 3 unique teams each. (can't select a team the opponent selected)

Teams will be drawn when I have time to do it. Someone else can draw these teams for us if they like

Quote Originally Posted by Tirean View Post
    Me and Yngvar game will be played on sunday. Format will be this:

Bo3
    P6
    2 varl, no P0
    No changing team order
    10 random teams drawn, select 3 unique teams each. (can't select a team the opponent selected)

Teams will be drawn when I have time to do it. Someone else can draw these teams for us if they like
    Nice and simple! Power-6 simplifies a lot of things, really. Some things to clarify:

1. Do you have any restrictions for 2x and 3x same-class units?
    2. How will you choose your three builds, out of the 10 drawn? Example: (a) Yng picks; Tir picks; Yng picks; Tir picks etc or (b) Yng picks three then Tir picks three?
    3. The three unique builds are (a) "pre-matched", e.g. 1st match: {Tir:Build#6 vs Yng:Build#9}, 2nd match: {Tir:Build#3 vs Yng:Build#1} etc, or (b) you're free to select whichever of the three to field in each match?

1, No restrictions on same class
    2. 1 person picks then another. Guy who picks last picks the first map they play on.
    3. Can select whichever of the three builds you want, however you can't play them more than once.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast