Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Random Build Tournament

It sounds good for me.

Not sure if iI'm able to watch them on sunday, but I reallly look forward to it! If you want, I'll draw 10 builds for you via twitch tomorrow at 7pm GMT

Hello!

Here are 10 Rensei-builds for you two!

1. WH TH BB SA WM BB

2. WM BM PK BM TH SS

3. WM SA BB SRM RM SS

4. PK TH PK TH SS SS

5. BM RM WH SRM SS TH

6. BB WL RM WM SA BB

7. PK WH TH SA SS BB

8. BM TH WH WL TH SS

9. PK WH SA BB BM BM

10.TH WL WM TH SS TH

Here's the broadcast: https://www.twitch.tv/grumpytheyounger/b/556234495
    Since I was hugely distracted by my cell phone and the internet connection icon turning on and off, I'm just babbling and drew 9 instead of 10 builds, you may skip that The last one I did off-Screen.

Good luck for you both!

You could've picked some better builds.. mumble grumble.

1. WH TH BB SA WM BB

First impressions of this build is that it is very strong. 3 raiders 2 warriors 1 archer is very strong at p6. The turn order is also in an ideal position. You have the warrior on turn 1 which is usually advised and you also have a breaker before your archer. The TH SA and WM also give you people who can deal guaranteed strength damage as long as they have willpower. You also have your BB for 3 AB.

Statting for this build may be difficult. I would probably go for a low exertion high armour strength build. Protect the Archer from strength damage and keep one of your warriors alive for end game.

Overall if you are comfortable playing with only 1 archer this build is a great pick.
    2. WM BM PK BM TH SS

Right here we have a control type build. This build will either be very good or very bad depending on what the enemy build is. The PK TH and SS can control the space very well while your 2x BM and WM pick off anything that gets in the range. This build would be ideal versus 2 archers 2 shieldbanger type builds. What this build will not do well against is something aggressive which wants to get in your face early and begin to trade units. The game will be decided with this build when the first varl falls. You will either have done enough damage to be able to clean up or you wont have the stats left to survive the onslaught.

I wouldn't choose this build unless you are very confident at controlling space and believe your opponent will engage incorrectly.
    3. WM SA BB SRM RM SS

This build is a tricky one. At first glance I think it looks very strong. You have the turn order in a nice place. WM being covered by the SS which is great. SA breaking for BB and SRM and RM controlling the space for easy RoA and WM covering. When looking at the compatibility of the team though I feel something is wrong. Everyone seems to be a jack of all trades type of thing. You have the WM who will need to hit first strike in this build. You have your SRM who will have issues with movement and stats. The SA and SS don't really work well together as a combo imo. BB and RM will be conflicting against each other on the job they want to do, and will be left isolated from each other.

I fear this build may have an issue dealing enough AB or strength in all stages of the match. I think this may be a good build to choose as your 3rd option if nothing better shows itself.

4. PK TH PK TH SS SS

This build could steal a win quite easily with the control factor it shows. Saving WP on the PK and SS can mean that they have to be killed quickly each time. Having the Pk with 3 AB is also essential here. TS (TH) should be statted as a kamikaze unit to maim high strength threats as quickly as possible. This build could also blow up in your face instantly if the TS deal no damage.

I would advise not picking this build unless you just want to annoying the enemy.

5. BM RM WH SRM SS TH

A very balanced build here. You have 6 space controlling units as well as 3 who can deal great damage in the mid game (BM WH TH). You also have the end game threat of the RM and SRM. The turn order isn't that nice here and your starting placement will be key to make sure you don't prevent people doing damage when it is needed.

Beside the turn issue flaw I would rate this build as a must pick.

6. BB WL RM WM SA BB

3 Raider 1 archer 2 warrior build again. Basically the same as build 1 but a much weaker version. I wouldn't pick this unless you have a lot of practice with the WL and understand his niches.

7. PK WH TH SA SS BB

Nice balanced build here. Turn order is nice also with SS and PK being able to cover the movements of the WH. The archer pairing isn't the greatest but the order they do in is nice. SA breaking for the 8 str SS and the BB can turn a lot of games. The build can also do well in the end game with maimed units such as the TH SA and BB.

Overall this is a nice balanced build that can probably fight most things thrown at it with correct play.

8. BM TH WH WL TH SS

Another build with the WL in it, however this time it is going behind a WH. This opens up a lot of rooms for some quick early unpreventable damage with the WH. The 2 TS (TH) also give this build a lot zone control and potential damage. The BM going turn 1 can mean you can dictate when she takes damage. This could mean you have a full strength BM in the end game.

This build has t he potential to be quite scary in the right match up and turn order. I would say pick this as a 3rd option if you see your opponent has no way of stopping the WH WL WH combo in the early / mid game.

9. PK WH SA BB BM BM

A 3 archer build that is all about the aggression. Here we have a build which instead of turtling will look at controlling space and forcing the opponent to be able from each other. The PK SA and BB allow for good space control. The WH stops people acting carelessly as t hey approach and the pair of BMs just shows pure damage dominance. Then going as a pair also makes it really hard for varl and radiers to approach.

If you enjoy playing 3 archer builds this should be a #1 pick.

10.TH WL WM TH SS TH

3 TH build. Enough said. Pick this and make sure your WL WM and SS are cost effective and you should win the fight. One downside to this build though is the turn order. You may need your SS and WL to die early so your WM and 3 TH can do what they want when they want.

Done!

Tirean has chosen #5, #7 and #9.

I've chosen 1#, #3 and #10.

First match has been delayed till tomorrow.

First round games have been played between me and Yngvar. I won 2-1. Some good games.

https://www.twitch.tv/tirean/c/4884300 Here is past broadcast. I would do reviews of the game but I would probably show bias so i'll leave that to someone else.

Thank you so much for the battles and sorry for the last game.

I'll do it better next time.

Promise.

In the first game, I think Tirean overused the 'bait' strategy which got him two maimed units in succession and Yngvar's troops closing on him immediately. So, with this, bad positions and excellent BB use from Yngvar, it turned ugly quickly. Alas, and I've witnessed it myself in a match against him, Yngvar's game ends could be better. So, he almost lost a brilliant match otherwise to this weakness.

That's also why I think he could've won the second match. But he also made targetting mistakes! The biggest one was losing three (!) breaks on Tirean's Strongarm. First with his Trashers, that just moved (?!). Second with his Warleader, that had a 4 Break base but killed an already useless Raidmaster (!!) with a Strength attack thus giving an additional turn to Tirean's remaining units. Does it just seem so unreal for Trashers to attack a Shieldbanger? That's why I think they need Break! Because these scenarios happen.
    As Tirean pointed out, leaving a full-health unit and starting increasing your kills is a sure way to defeat.

Last match was very well played on Tirean's side and he won.

I think Yngvar really had a huge opportunity for a 2:0, but Tirean kept his cool and improved from battle to battle! So, he fully deserves his tyrannical victory!

Edit: lastly, I saw Yngvar chatting that the Warleader is useless. I don't think that's true. His ability is used early game on units that have a very high damage output like the Warhawk or a puncturing Archer to get a first and hard hit. He's versatile too, because you can use it either as a breaker or as a true Warrior. And if you tend to end your games with Archers a well timed Forge Ahead could also give you victory.
    Last edited by Abel; 08-11-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Match 1 was pretty much an exact repeat of the vigrid tournament we had a while ago. I won 2-1 by the scrap of my teeth. Could've easily lost 2-0 I agree.

I can play well once or maybe twice in a round, no more.

About the mistakes at the first match end I knew it was over so I thought "relax and enjoy because, belive it or not, you are going to win this, handsome".

Second and third one was my personal Waterloo, or Hastings if you prefer, not focus at the second and completely out at the third.

Warleader is, was, useless for me -specially in that order-

I should try backbiter's tactics more often. Position and movement are very important in Factions and they are like the Road Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvar View Post
    Warleader is, was, useless for me -specially in that order-
    Actually, you used it as well as you could, giving opporunity to your Trasher to hit that Archer. I would just have given this specific Trasher 12 Strength for the reasons I mentioned.
    True that your options were pretty limited though. But it's what randomness is about! Doing your best with what you have.

Some nice battles you had!

I can play well once or maybe twice in a round, no more.
    I consider that as quite normal. That was also why Aleo and me decided to play the last one seperately! We were as tired as you

I'm getting older so fast.

OK, I am back, so lets get this Tourney back on track Anyone know what happened to Tyrael-vs-Visorium? I saw that Tirean-vs-Yngvar was settled, and that what this post is about:

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
    Here are 10 Rensei-builds for you two!

1. WH TH BB SA WM BB
    2. WM BM PK BM TH SS
    3. WM SA BB SRM RM SS
    4. PK TH PK TH SS SS
    5. BM RM WH SRM SS TH
    6. BB WL RM WM SA BB
    7. PK WH TH SA SS BB
    8. BM TH WH WL TH SS
    9. PK WH SA BB BM BM
    10.TH WL WM TH SS TH

Here's the broadcast: https://www.twitch.tv/grumpytheyounger/b/556234495 Since I was hugely distracted by my cell phone and the internet connection icon turning on and off, I'm just babbling and drew 9 instead of 10 builds, you may skip that The last one I did off-Screen.
    Tirean has chosen #5, #7 and #9.
    I've chosen 1#, #3 and #10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirean View Post
    First round games have been played between me and Yngvar. I won 2-1. Some good games.

https://www.twitch.tv/tirean/c/4884300 Here is past broadcast. I would do reviews of the game but I would probably show bias so i'll leave that to someone else.
    Good games guys and, Tirean, congrats and thanks for the match recordings (and builds' analysis!). The link you supplied is missing the last 15 minutes of the third match; here is the complete recording: https://www.twitch.tv/tirean/b/557069181, I hope you'll save that to your highlighted recordings.

I will also supply some comments on your matches:

Match#1 -- I agree with Abel, that Tirean's choice of placing his WH up for a maim-bait was a bad one. Against a three-raider build, I'd have used the PK for that task; he's more suitable with that high-AB and RtF passive of his. Yngvar used his raider-trio to take off Tir's archers quite effectively, while keeping one of his Warriors safe. Very well-played! Apart from that engaging "mistake", I think Tir's downfall began with that mix-up of his WH's and PK's turn order, and especially the SS move that preceded them (@16m00s). For the record, I'd have used the SS to protect my SA dying to the enemy TS. As a final remark, I think that 1EX on your WHs was suboptimal... I haven't used a 1EX Warrior (not even WL) in ages; it's so restricting! 1EX on Tir's BB & TH was also something I'd have avoided.

Match#2 -- Tirean increased his WH's EX to 2 (while Yng left all his melee units at 1EX), and chose to risk an early maim to his BM. That kinda paid off, as Yng's green TS was FA'd and promptly disposed off! Yng's build had only one breaker unit, the WL. I agree with Tir that the 0EX on SS was a statting mistake; I'd have focused her on landing two 4ABs on the SRM, Tir's most dangerous unit. Yngvar's initial mistake was leaving his red & beige TS off the battle for too long, being reluctant to engage the SRM. But, his game-deciding mistake was not going for a 5AB on SRM with WL. In overall, I think that going for that early FA was too aggressive as it opened up the game quite early and gave Tirean the chance to pick off the threats one by one. We all know that the hardest part in TBSF is to decide on an engaging strategy, so it's very helpful when the opponent does the engaging himself and lets you just "play along"; more so for experienced players like Tirean, that happen to be playing one of their favorite builds!

Match#3 -- Sadly, Yngvar didn't believe he could win, so he kinda gave up this match from the second round... Why? I don't know if it was Tirean's psychological warfare (with his BMs spamming off-range enemies with BoP; another reason I'd go for 2EX on Raiders and Warriors) that made Yng panicked or whatever, but we saw some pretty serious mistakes on his side. One could think that it was a different person playing the third match, compared to the two first ones... Anyway, three archer builds, where two of them are BMs (and acting in a row), are especially deadly. So, I think that Tirean's team was maybe stronger than Yngvar's.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 08-19-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I promise it was me all the time and not one of my cats.
    Last edited by Yngvar; 08-19-2014 at 10:44 AM.

OK, let's get this Aleo-vs-Tir going. Here is my preferred rule-set:

• Best of= 3
    • Power= 12
    • Random builds= 5 builds are drawn for each of us; we can "drop" one of our five and "veto" one of our opponent's five; builds are non re-usable; build order is "as drawn" (dropping/vetoing just "shifts-up" the builds).
    • Allow ranks-change= Yes (no restrictions)
    • Allow order-rotation= No
    • Allow Rank-0s= No
    • Fix Two Varls= Yes
    • Allow 2x or 3x same-class units= No

What say you, Tirean? Of course, I don't mind whatever changes/simplifications; I proposed this "complicated" random-scheme (5 builds; one drop & one veto) to put some more flavor into it

This seems fine for me. Just need to arrange a date now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    • Best of= 3
    • Power= 12
    • Random builds= 5 builds are drawn for each of us; we can "drop" one of our five and "veto" one of our opponent's five; builds are non re-usable; build order is "as drawn" (dropping/vetoing just "shifts-up" the builds).
    • Allow ranks-change= Yes (no restrictions)
    • Allow order-rotation= No
    • Allow Rank-0s= No
    • Fix Two Varls= Yes
    • Allow 2x or 3x same-class units= No

What say you, Tirean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirean View Post
    This seems fine for me.
    All right So, we need someone to draw five builds for each of us, a total of ten builds.

Be sure to number/label them (e.g. A#1-A#5 and T#1-T#5) because the drawing-order is important in the drop/veto procedure. For example, if I drop A#2 and Tir drops T#4, and then I veto T#1 and Tir vetoes A#1, then the matches are gonna be:
    -- Match#1: A#3 -vs- T#2
    -- Match#2: A#4 -vs- T#3
    -- Match#3: A#5 -vs- T#5
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 08-21-2014 at 04:57 PM.

KK lemme see if I got this random build thing right:

Aleon:
    1. PK RM SA TS SM BM
    2. WH BM WM SS TS BB
    3. PK SRM RM BB SS TS
    4. PK RM TS WM BB SS
    5. WM SM SS RM SA TS
    lotta PK for you aleon

Tirean
    1. RM WH BB WM TS SA
    2. SA SRM BM RM SS WM
    3. SS RM BB BM WM WH
    4, SS SRM WM TS BM SA
    5. PK SM BM SA BB RM

I have no clue what is going to happen
    HAVE FUN!!!

(Oh and may the best Tirean win, Aleon I believe! #donthatethebuilder)
    Last edited by KamikazeDurrrp; 08-22-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast