Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Build Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
    Since Aleo and me got 6 builds each now, we agreed on another rule: We both may remove 3 builds of our choice from the other. Great fun!
    OK, here are your three available builds (in bold) my dear opponent:
    1. SA SA PR TH TH WH
    2. veto: SM WH SA BM TH TH
    3. SRM PR TH BM BB TH
    4. RM WM SB SA SA RM
    5. veto: WH BB BB SB BB BM
    6. veto: WH WH TH TH SA TH

Thank god for the "veto" system! That last [2WH 3TS SA] build Yngvar drew for you was so wicked
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Likewise, my tough companion!

1. WL WM BB BB TH SA
    2. SS RM BM WL BM WH
    3. veto: SRM WM BB BM BB SS
    4. veto: SA WM TH SRM BB BM
    5. WM SA WH TH SA RM
    6. veto: SB SB SS BM BM TH

Ok, looks like it's me vs. Tyrael.

I'm not able to stream, but I can record the matches and put them up on YouTube afterwards.

BTW, nothing personal, but I prefer to keep my Steam friends limited to those I know IRL, so I'm going to unfriend everyone after the tourney (just a heads up).

Tyrael: How do you want to play our match? Method B for randomizing sounded most interesting to me, and best out of 3 would probably be a good way to do it... but I'm fine with whatever you prefer.
    Last edited by Guğmundr; 07-22-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    Án brynju, mağur er varnarlaus. Án styrks, er hann ekkert.

I would have picked D but B is fine too. Best out of 3 sounds good. 1 veto?

Can someone draw the builds for us and post them?

My units could be a problem... I dont have too many at level 1 and I dont have all of them often enough on level 2. So maybe we could also enable us to swap the levels around, then i could make it fitting to what I have in stock :P I think level 12 will be best.

Quote Originally Posted by Guğmundr View Post
    Tyrael: How do you want to play our match? Method B for randomizing sounded most interesting to me, and best out of 3 would probably be a good way to do it... but I'm fine with whatever you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post

My units could be a problem... I dont have too many at level 1 and I dont have all of them often enough on level 2. So maybe we could also enable us to swap the levels around, then i could make it fitting to what I have in stock :P I think level 12 will be best.
    Using style B (mirror builds, different for each of the three matches) means that both of you need to be able to make the build in question. Also, allowing arbitrary rank-changes should help here. I can draw you the builds (tomorrow), if you specify the following things:
    1. Allow Rank-0 units?
    2. Force two Varl?
    3. Allow 2x or 3x same-class units?
    4. IF the previous was "yes": give me the number of units in each of your classes (regardless of rank) from your barracks, where a restriction should be placed. For example: having only 1 RM (max 3 allowed) is a problem so mention it; having 5 WMs (max 2 allowed) is not a problem so don't mention that.
    5. Power Level = 12?
    6. Best Of = 3?
    7. Use veto? (with option "B", that means that I will draw 5=3+2 builds, and each one of you gets to veto one, leaving 3 builds for your Bo3 matchup)

Best of= 3
    Power= 12
    Random builds= 3 different ones for each of us ; non re-usable
    Allow ranks-change= No
    Allow order-rotation= No
    Allow Rank-0s= No
    Fix Two Varls= Yes
    Allow 2x or 3x same-class units= Yes

stoicmom 7, 8, 10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ visorium 1, 9, 4

Last edited by visorium; 07-24-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Using style B (mirror builds, different for each of the three matches) means that both of you need to be able to make the build in question. Also, allowing arbitrary rank-changes should help here. I can draw you the builds (tomorrow), if you specify the following things:
    1. Allow Rank-0 units?
    2. Force two Varl?
    3. Allow 2x or 3x same-class units?
    4. IF the previous was "yes": give me the number of units in each of your classes (regardless of rank) from your barracks, where a restriction should be placed. For example: having only 1 RM (max 3 allowed) is a problem so mention it; having 5 WMs (max 2 allowed) is not a problem so don't mention that.
    5. Power Level = 12?
    6. Best Of = 3?
    7. Use veto? (with option "B", that means that I will draw 5=3+2 builds, and each one of you gets to veto one, leaving 3 builds for your Bo3 matchup)
    How does this sound, Tyrael?
    a. no
    b. yes
    c. yes
    d. I've got enough renown that this isn't much of a problem, so it just depends on your barracks
    e. yes
    f. yes
    g. It doesn't matter to me, either one is fine. If it were up to me I might say no, just cause it would be simpler.

Sounds good, lets do it.

g. Yeah right, with mirrored builds we dont need a veto.
    d. Regardless of rank i got this restrictions: 2 RM 2 SA 2 BB
    Last edited by Tyrael; 07-23-2014 at 06:38 AM.

How does this sound, Tyrael?
    Sounds good, lets do it.
    OK, guys, here are the three builds Rensei drew for you:

You can use them in this order (A-B-C) or change it, as long as its the same for both. Me and grumpy did some decisions this way: The loser of the 1st and 2nd match gets to decide on the map to use for the 2nd and 3rd match. You can do something similar for the mirror-build order: e.g. you both agree on "B" for the 1st match, and then the loser decides on 2nd match build from "A" and "C".

Finally, you need to decide on whether rotation (or reordering) of the builds will be allowed, and if that must be the same for both players; the mirror has many faces!
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-28-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: links were broken

Ok to adapt it on my units we have to degrade both shieldbangers with level 3 to 2. In group A we have to put it the warhawk, making him level 2. In group B it has to be put either on a thrasher or on the Skystriker.

At the moment I cant promote anyone either, because I spent everything to build up this stock lately.

I think your suggestions sound good.
    Rotation would be ok for me. How about A?
    Last edited by Tyrael; 07-23-2014 at 08:30 AM.

And here is the current tourney-table in genuine Banner-Saga style What do you think?

I will update this as we go, and also post it on the front page too; unfortunately, I currently have trouble editing my old posts =/

After two great, intense matches, Tyrael advances to the semifinals!

I'll update this post with the link to the matches on YouTube once they finish uploading. Unfortunately my audio recording wasn't working, so it's just the video.

EDIT:

Here are both matches in one video: https://youtu.be/0fpIiXIzUxQ
    Last edited by Guğmundr; 07-23-2014 at 10:39 PM.

You guys should have poked me on steam!
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

Administrator Unconfirmed Account Myll_Erik's Avatar
    Awesome guys!
    Trample the weak - Hurdle the dead

After two great, intense matches, Tyrael advances to the semifinals!

Here are both matches in one video: https://youtu.be/0fpIiXIzUxQ
    Thanks for the videos, Gudmundr. Battles with no audio certainly "feel" weird!

Match #1 Notes: Looks like first one to "fire up" the mead hall (Tyrael) had an advantage!

(1) Low-ARM SRM on Gud's side was maybe sub-optimal; SRM-vs-SRM standoff in the end proved this
    (2) Gud's rushing out w BB to engage {BB,TS,WH}-crew was maybe reckless; that BB fell quite early
    (3) Allowing Tyr's WH to Tempest @6m50s was the game decider move, imho.

Match #2 Notes: Mirror builds & deployments!

(1) Gud's SM walking into obvious RoA and risking to allow any of Tyr's SMs to get his BtP up
    (2) Gud's TS rushing out into {TS,BM} was also a bit reckless. This was a match for defensive play!
    (3) Tyr made some pretty nice defensive moves (e.g. blocking Gud's TS), but his keeping a fresh TS near the end was the key
    (4) Tyr's 70-80% WP-loaded sealed it, but he could have made it easier but disposing of Gud's SM earlier.

Good games guys

OK guys, here are the results on aleo-vs-grympy at Quarterfinals.

The match line-ups & winners (first team mentioned is the one to get first move in each match ):

Code:
    Match #1 -- Aleo  :[RM WM SA WH TS SA] vs. grumpy:[PK TS BM BB TS SRM] -- Winner: Aleo
    Match #2 -- grumpy:[SM SA SA RM RM WM] vs. Aleo  :[SA WL WM BB BB TS ] -- Winner: grumpy
    Match #3 -- grumpy:[SA SA PR TH TH WH] vs. Aleo  :[RM BM WL BM WH SS ] -- Winner: Aleo
    The match recordings, live streamed in twitch and with mics open (except grumpy's 3rd):

Match #1: Aleo's POV -- grumpy's POV
    Match #2: Aleo's POV -- grumpy's POV
    Match #3: Aleo's POV -- grumpy's POV

After 2nd match: Looking at the emerging pattern, it seems that either of the following is "true": (a) Winner is team to act first, (b) Winner is team with 2SA, (c) Loser is team with one archer. If (b) is the case, it means I'm in for a defeat in the last match!

Speaking of (a): Is there any way to know who will be given first turn in a friendly match? In QM/RM/TM, stoicmom has verified that he who first launches a "Match Available" banner gets 2nd turn, i.e. he who accepts an available banner/challenge gets 1st turn. Maybe, in FMs, the one to click on "Ready" button 2nd gets first turn?

After 3rd match: Seems like the "pattern" was none of the (a),(b),(c) mentioned above Actually, it was something like: "Team with most archers wins", that is quite in-line with the fact that Puncture is the strongest passive in the game, etc.
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 07-27-2014 at 01:25 PM.

• Best of= [?]
    • Power= 12
    • Random builds= [?] different ones for each of us ; non re-usable
    • Allow ranks-change= No
    • Allow order-rotation= No
    • Allow Rank-0s= No
    • Fix Two Varls= Yes
    • Allow 2x or 3x same-class units= Yes
    Last edited by visorium; 07-25-2014 at 04:29 PM.

If anyone of you is interested in setting up streaming, it's really very simple (and free!), thanks to netnazgul's "Hitchhiker's Guide to Streaming" (a post in this forum).

Breaking it down, you "just" have to do the following:

1. Create a free Twitch account; this will create your twitch channel/account
    2. Download and install the free program OBS (Open Broadcasting Software). You can use OBS to simply record matches in your PC (e.g. in mp4 format), without streaming, and then upload them to youtube etc
    3. Hook-up/Link OBS onto your Twitch channel (details in net's post; basically you copy a certain "key", given to you while you register on Twitch, in OBS)
    4. Launch OBS along with your game, every time you like to stream. Others can live-watch on your twitch channel (e.g. at https://www.twitch.tv/YourChannelName) while you stream; you can have a browser open in that channel too, in order to check out the twitch chat, but it might burden your system, especially if you're on a single-monitor PC
    5. After you're done streaming, you can find the recordings of your streams in https://www.twitch.tv/YourChannelName...pastBroadcasts (you need to tick something in twitch settings to activate this feature). There, you can: watch them, delete them, highlight them, add comments, save them forever etc.

This works perfectly for Windows PCs. Not so easy (or maybe not possible at all) for Macs.

Don't hesitate to ask if you try this and have problems!
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 07-26-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by visorium View Post
    • Best of= [?]
    • Power= 12
    • Random builds= [?] different ones for each of us ; non re-usable
    • Allow ranks-change= No
    • Allow order-rotation= No
    • Allow Rank-0s= No
    • Fix Two Varls= Yes
    • Allow 2x or 3x same-class units= Yes
    Yup. I'd say Best of 3 is enough.

Can someone draw the 6 builds for us?

Yup. I'd say Best of 3 is enough.

Can someone draw the 6 builds for us?
    Here are your builds, gentlemen: V1-V3 are for visorium, and T1-T3 are for Tyrael. You can play them in this order (V1-vs-T1 and so on) or each player picks one of the three for each match as he likes; just don't use the same build twice! I see that you didn't allow ranks-change, so I hope you can both do all builds (I am worried about that r3 WL on T3).

Looks like 2SA-overdose for visorium, so better get those obsidian-gloves ready Tyrael
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-28-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast