Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Random Build Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeDurrrp View Post
    KK lemme see if I got this random build thing right:

HAVE FUN!!!

(Oh and may the best Tirean win, Aleon I believe! #donthatethebuilder)
    Thanks KD No ranks given, but we allowed free change of ranks anyway, so everything is fine.

The "no-duplicate-units" rule made for really balanced builds in overall, eh? No 3BM or 3TS or 2SRM to despair the opponent! Strangely (), no WLs for any of the two. Did you have a hand in this, or it was Rensei's call? Also, lots of SS for me, which is good against "The Klutz"; Now I just need to distract him with in-battle chat and (seemingly) dumb moves!

So, now, we're gonna first drop one of the five builds, and then apply our vetos to one of our opp's four remaining builds. We'll post the final match-ups here, before the fighting begins
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Alright, me and Tirean decided on our builds, so here are the match-ups:

Interestingly, there's no "standard build" (1W 1SB 2R 2A), instead we have: three triple-raider, one triple-archer, three dual-warrior and one dual-SB build. I think we'll have some weirdly interesting matches, as I don't see any "clear winners" in those six builds (thanks to non-duplicates, most likely!). Tirean said he likes his #1 build, while I can't say I feel comfortable with any of my builds... My last two builds are triple-raider backed by a Skystriker; use of RoA is many times game-deciding, but in my case its the number-one source of missed turns due to timer

Anyway, we've scheduled the matches for tomorrow (Sunday) evening, so stay tuned for the live-streams
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-28-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Alright folks, me-vs-Tir was decided a bit unceremoniously, with Tirean advancing to the finals after an "easy" 2-0.

Here's the recordings of the matches:

And, a few comments on the matches from my reading:
    • Match#1: Our builds were approximately equivalent, two-Warriors etc, but mine had fewer breakers (RM+BM vs. RM+BB+SA). I killed off Tir's only archer on round#2 making it all-melee for him, but I couldn't to deliver enough break on enemy units to make use of my archer-advantage (i.e. puncture); that was partly because of my "hybridly-statted" WM, who had 3AB, and whom I was reluctant to throw-in early. Another fault on my part was failing to contain Tir's WH, who broke into my back lines after taking a scratch from an RoA My own WH managed a couple of meager first-hits, to no considerable outcome, due to the low-Break as I previously explained. With both Tirean's Warriors at full-ARM, and all of my units' STR clipped, the game was lost.
    • Match#2: I had a robust 2SB build, that had little to worry from Tir's 3Archer build, being backed by 3Raiders. I made a major blunder of missing timer on deployment (noob! ), which left my units scattered around the board. Tirean got first turn and proceeded to break my PK. To make things even worse, instead of retreating and trying to regroup I deemed the game lost, and rushed my SRM out to kill that annoying SA. Little joy that gave me, since Tir soon had another "flesh-wall" to protect his remaining archers from my raiders who were running to catch-up. I played the rest of the match a bit too defensively, using my SS for a lot of useless RoA, that Tir just ignored. Anyway, apart from another mistake (of exposing my BB), I think I did better than I expected after "Battle!" message saw my units scattered around the board. Tirean was better in taking advantage of my mistakes and protecting his archers. Battle ended with his 6/15 WM beating my broken RM & TS to dust, while my SS cleared his archers before biting the frozen dust of Strand's Proving Grounds...

Here is the current tourney-board:

So, Tirean (and the rest of us) awaits visorium-vs-Tyrael climatic match#3
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-28-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Nice games!
    I think that your positioning, manoeuvring and timing cost you these games. But these are the most difficult skills to master.
    In the first one, turn disadvantage really hurt you. Killing the Archer was a good idea, but I think maiming the Raidmaster was sufficient.
    I think you still had a chance in the second match at 5:6 but Tirean positioned his troops very well and managed to keep his Archers out of harm long enough.
    In both games, you spent lots of Willpower for movement so you lost some precious impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Nice games!
    I think that your positioning, manoeuvring and timing cost you these games. But these are the most difficult skills to master.
    In the first one, turn disadvantage really hurt you. Killing the Archer was a good idea, but I think maiming the Raidmaster was sufficient.
    I think you still had a chance in the second match at 5:6 but Tirean positioned his troops very well and managed to keep his Archers out of harm long enough.
    In both games, you spent lots of Willpower for movement so you lost some precious impact.
    Thanks for your feedback, Abel Indeed, Tirean's positioning is much better than mine, having been practiced on a competitive level in a time where the skill-level of the players was much higher.

In the first match, my strategic mistake was not keeping a high-STR unit "fresh" until the endgame, like Tir did with his WH. That "high-STR" unit could have been one of my Warriors or my BM, provided that I had delivered a lot of ARM break when the board was full. Instead, I fielded a weirdly stated WM (whom I intended as a Breaker/Blocker but eventually he did only a couple of silly SIs), my WH got "clipped" early and made a couple of bad decisions (e.g. he should have blocked/engaged Tir's WH on my right flank) and my BM was exposed to a BB and then was unable to harm the imminent threat (that was Tir's WH, who had overran my right flank)...

The second match was lost to me from the deployment stage; a noob mistake really... I was intending to quit the game, but Tir (having first turn in both matches) proceeded to break my PK, so I said to myself "What the heck? Lets rock and roll!" If I wasn't attacked, I might have calmed down and spent a round re-arranging my troops. Surprisingly, this match ended better for me (compared to the first) than I expected; maybe Tir cut me some slack near the end?

Sorry for the long delay, vikings. We were waiting for visor-vs-Tyr match#3, but it seems that it's not gonna happen So, after visorium's chat-message quoted below (you can also find it in the chat-archive, just do a search for a string contained in the message):

15-09-2014, 00:00, visorium: @Aleo, I'm out of RBT, just write me defeat and move on... my ax rusty ~(-_-")~
    ...Tyrael advances to the finals, without a third match, where Tirean awaits. The tourney-board has been updated accordingly, a couple of posts above.

OK, Tir & Tyr should get in touch (Steam friends!), decide about their random-build rules (power, units, vetos, drops etc), and ask one of us to do the "draw". The RBT title craves for a name

Thanks for posting the videos, it was interesting to watch.

Alright, after a loooooooooooooong break, we're back in-action for the grand finals Tyrael-vs-Tirean

They asked me to draw some random builds for them and so I did.

Here's the rules:
    • Format = Bo3
    • Random Builds = You are given 5 builds. You can remove one build from your list and one from the opponent's. You can re-order your 3 remaining builds. You can choose any build from the 3 re-ordered ones. You don't need to reveal order to opponent. You cannot use the same build twice.
    • Power = 12
    • Ranks = Re-adjust at will
    • Classes = 2 Raiders , 2 Archers , 1 Warrior , 1 Shieldbanger
    • Same-class restriction = No
    • Units Order = Can't change

Here's the builds:

Let us know your selections/vetos, and when are the matches gonna be played. gl hf!
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-28-2018 at 09:15 AM.

I won!

I beat Tirean 2:1 today and am now current RBT champion

You can watch the 3 matches here: https://www.twitch.tv/tirean/c/5580761
    Last edited by Tyrael; 11-28-2014 at 05:56 AM.

All hail Tyrael, Champion of the [first-of-more-to-come (?)] Factions RBT!

For the record here's what the matches went like (winner in bold, first name = first-to-act):
    • 1st match: Tyrael (Builld#3) vs. Tirean (Build#4), at Mead House map
    • 2nd match: Tirean (Build#3) vs. Tyrael (Builld#5), at Mead House map
    • 3rd match: Tyrael (Builld#2) vs. Tirean (Build#2), at Proving Grounds map

Thanks for the match recording, Tirean. Don't forget to highlight that Twitch broadcast, so that it's saved forever (...even if you might wanna erase a couple of moves from living memory! ) EDIT: Here is saved-forever broadcast link -- https://www.twitch.tv/tirean/c/5580761

And, here's the finalized tourney-board:

Last edited by Aleonymous; 03-28-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5