Thread: Is Alex Thomas no longer part of Stoic?

Question Is Alex Thomas no longer part of Stoic?

His bio was removed from https://stoicstudio.com/stoic-bios/ so i was wondering if he no longer forms part of the team, or if it was just a mistake.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

I noticed that, too. His forum-status is still "Creative Director" (although he hasn't posted anything in a great long while), but he is not shown as "[developer]" on Steam (e.g. in this thread he started)... I've also noted that in Stoic's latest interviews and public appearances, it was only John and/or Arnie...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Does anyone asked about this on the Reddit chat event?

yepp.

"[–]McFunkyJack 2 Punkte 6 Tagen zuvor

Hey! Thanks for doing this and for creating Banner Saga. It's a very lovely game and I'm enyjoing factions for some months now, too. One question coming to my mind, which also seems to be noticed in the communityforum, is that on your Homepage there are just arnie jorgensen and john watson listet on "Stoic Team"...what happened to Alex Thomas? Is he out of stoic?

[–]StoicStudio[S] 1 Punkt 6 Tagen zuvor

John: Alex Thomas is working on a new project that is still under wraps... We'll tell you all about it when he is ready to reveal it. Drew McGee, who wrote part of the first game, is taking on the role of lead writer for the second game.

‹bergeordnet

[–]StoicStudio[S] 1 Punkt 6 Tagen zuvor

Arnie-Artist: To add to John's reply, Alex was ready to take a break from the Saga and try a new title for a while. John, Drew and I were still excited to work on The Banner Saga 2, so we parted ways very amicably. We stay in touch and Stoic may even have a hand in his next game. This stuff happens from time to time in games. People's goals don't always align. Drew is hitting the ground running though. He knows the story, the mood and feel of the game from helping Alex write it.
    "

Yes. Here is such a question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ng_the/cla32ll

And another quote from Arnie:
    The Banner Saga 2 is moving along quite well. I've been working on it for months now along with Drew McGee, the writer on the project. Drew wrote some of the first story so it's great that he's joining us as Lead Writer for the next! We've also got a lot more cinematics we can't wait for you to see, a lot more music and a lot more of the story to roll out. We have all 3 games plotted out and I really hope you like where it goes. The story is the reason we started this whole thing.
    TL;DR: Alex Thomas is not actively working on TBS2 with Stoic at the moment. Drew McGee, who worked "part time" on TBS1, now has the lead-writer "seat" for TBS2.

EDIT: Arg! Got ninja'ed by JJ

Ok good to know, cheers guys!

we know the main story and the lore is probably already set, written down, for parts II and III. still i wonder how much of an impact a new writer will have. does he have a videogame background or is he new ( other than part I ) ?

will dialogues / character interactions grow and improve ? it would really help for the betterment of the game, as in part I i found this area severely lacking. in any case good luck to him i'm sure he'll do a swell job.

During that latest reddit AMA, I asked them a couple of times to place Drew's bio/pic etc on the main site, but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe he's in a "sub-contractor" status, i.e. not fully part of Stoic...

Dialogue-based games, so such an amount of text, are difficult to manage and make consistent. However, I agree with bal that there's a lot of room for improvement on writing/characters/dialogue. I wonder if the decision to go with InkleWriter for the branching-story was a good choice and if Drew/Stoic will use it for TBS2.

Here's something that surfaced on RPS yesterday (brought to my attention by raven2134), concerning Alex Thomas' whereabouts: Killers and Thieves... Interesting project.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Here's something that surfaced on RPS yesterday (brought to my attention by raven2134), concerning Alex Thomas' whereabouts: Killers and Thieves... Interesting project.
    Good to see that he is still creating, even if it isn't for Stoic

Killers and Thieves is actually nearing its Steam release.

Here is Alex's devlog, with an entry on 19/4/2016 recommending Saga2 -- https://killersandthieves.wordpress.com/

Took a look at the game, seems interesting.

So aparently he is fulltime back at Stoic, and the looking at the Steam page for Killers and Thieves the game was abandoned in a poorly state ? :/ I was thinking of getting it, but oh well.
    Last edited by Yellow; 07-30-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Concerting Alex Thomas back with Stoic -- Yes, and from recent interviews (e.g. Gamasutra, here) he speaks as if he's fully on board for future ventures, in the same franchise or anything new (by Stoic).

Killers and Thieves was kinda left in the waters, it seems... Alex supported it for a few weeks following release, but then jumped onto BannerSaga3. I've played it only a little; it's a complete game, no serious bugs or unfinished content, but you wouldn't call it "100% there" either. Anyway, further improving it probably requires extensive reworkings on various mechanics, and expanding it is probably not interesting (market-wise), so... Yes, you can say that it is abandoned.