Thread: Godstone Contest: Losers share your stories :)

Godstone Contest: Losers share your stories :)

Hello vikings! I figured that I'd share my entry/submission to the Godstone Contest, since there's nothing to be spoiled (much to my dismay ). Please share your stories too, if you like. Comments/suggestions/remarks are welcome and, in the case of Drew (Stoic's writer for TBS2), comments are more than welcome

Grassland surrenders to hard barren dirt as the caravan ascends the low hill crowned by the godstone of Solveig. It is not your impression; unnatural heat is emitted from the ground, growing more intense as you approach the summit. No sign of life, animal or plant, is to be seen anywhere around the massive boulder, which increases the uneasiness of your clansmen. Solveig is depicted as a female human figure with her hands raised up towards the sky, her fingers like tongues of flame and her unkempt hair framed by a brilliant sunburst. The surface of the stone is charcoal black and the sun, reflected from the carved designs, dazzles your eyes. Absently tracing the engravings on the base of the stone, you pull your hand back feeling sharp pain. You look at your burned fingers and taking a step back to inspect the monument, realization strikes: the godstone is scorching hot while the patterns on the rock face are pulsing like living embers!

Initially a goddess of warmth, hearths and the sun, Solveig was also considered a protector of households and a shield against winter's cold. A mirthless smile crosses your face, as you recall that she was worshipped during the summer solstice... Now that the firmament is stopped in a perpetual solstice, this resonance of the blessing of Solveig has been distorted into a plague, slowly killing life in the nearby lands. What irony.

PS -- For those who care about uniformity, I used {Italic}{Book Antiqua}{Size-4} fonts.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

In a clearing in the otherwise dense forest, you happen upon the fabled godstone of Noen. The stone resembles the shape of a cloaked man sat on a rock, and his pose suggests that he is deep in thought. On the base of the stone are inscribed thousands of riddles.

Stories of Noen tell that he often took the guise of a hooded wanderer. He would show up at your door asking for a meal and a place to sleep. He would look ragged and give no name, but such a request could still not be refused without breaking the old laws of hospitality. If you welcomed him, he would entertain you with stories and vexing riddles. But if you turned him away he would remove his hood to reveal who he truly was, and curse your household with misfortune.

Noen ended up in this clearing after the youngest girl in a family he visited angered him by guessing the answer to every riddle he posed. Frustrated, he challenged the girl to come up with a better riddle herself. The girl became thoughtful and stayed quiet for the rest of the evening. As Noen was leaving the next morning, the girl caught up with him and asked him a riddle she had made up. He was quite surprised to realize that he did not know the answer, and promptly sat down on the nearest rock as he pondered possible solutions. And here he sits to this very day.
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

Interesting... mine could almost be a reflected twin of yours, Aleo.

The Godstone of Ael∂runn rises from the ground, a great, black dome like a piece of the night sky brought to earth. Ael∂runn was known as the Sleeping Goddess, for she turned her back on the sunlit world and wandered long in the Night-darkness between the stars. There she found many things; some strange, some wondrous, some terrible. In dreams she shared her discoveries with all mortals, but artists received her special attentions. Many sought her inspiration and produced wonderful creations thereby. But her favor was fickle, for while they might achieve greatness, just as often they fell in the end to madness or despair.

The surface Ael∂runn’s Godstone is as smooth as polished obsidian, yet it reflects nothing between the graven forms and sigils. It is said however that if one gazes upon it long enough, the viewer’s eye will be drawn into its depths where one may still touch upon the visions of Ael∂runn which lie behind the stars.
    For cards and art prints, visit my Celtic Art Print Gallery: http://ian-herriott.artistwebsites.com/
    "Like" me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...51218704893987
    And view all of my Banner Saga Crest Designs on tumblr: http://gaelvin.tumblr.com

What great stories Aleo, RK, and gaelvin!! Thank you for sharing them with me They are winners in my book!

how can you know if you lost?

Quote Originally Posted by shigad View Post
    how can you know if you lost?
    If one was in the four winners, Stoic would have contacted him/her (by email) in order to further discuss on how the story would be implemented into the game. Sadly, no email came to me

So, now we know which Saga2 godstone stories were from contest winners. According to this tweet (and Stoic responses):
    • Aselei, Irynx, Baldringr, and Bygglaerer were originated by contest winners and shaped to our needs.
    • Geirrağr's tale was written by Jerry Holkins (Tycho from Penny Arcade)
    • Vez'nan was a tie-in with Kingdom Rush
    • Lauga was the only pure Arnie and Drew original this time around

Here are the godstones in the wiki: https://bannersaga.gamepedia.com/The...ga_2_godstones
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 09-08-2017 at 04:27 PM.