Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TBS2 Announcement Trailer

TBS2 Announcement Trailer

So, we had a ~45sec long trailer announcing "The Banner Saga 2", at yesterday's The Game Awards 2014 at Las Vegas. Here is the link to Game-Informer, featuring the official version of the video-trailer:

And here's a brief description of what we saw:

Longboats traversing some fjord/river, probably escaping from the ruin of Boersgard, and heading for a waterfall...? (EDIT: Actually it's like the world is angled at 90 degrees...)

Humans, possibly led by a mohawked Skald guy (), strengthening their resolve behind some wooden barricaded town...?

A band of horseborn, possibly led by the female character called Canary (early concept art), before a snow-covered town.

Hakon talking to Bolverk...

... and sending him into a Berserk (?) rage/feat, strongly reminiscent of Mumm-Ra's (ThunderCats) transformation

The mixed human/Varl caravan marching, with the red (Skogr?) banner flapping overhead. In the bottom, we see Bellower's body pierced by the Silver-Arrow.

The title-scene, without a release date....
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 12-09-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

looking forward to the next part of the Banner Saga, i always thought they could release on the same day every year since it worked great for them last time ( was it first week of February? ), so that may very well be the date. but if this is not even a proper trailer maybe that schedule falls a bit short.

on the teaser : i'd prefer less animation, and more actual gameplay. but it serves its purpose well i guess. hmm if all those are but snippets of bigger cutscenes could it mean this time there will be an increased number of minutes of them in game ?

cool horsepunks, specially the girl since she's Canary like me and sporting my football team's colours ! here's hoping she doesn't die .. much.

i'm positively sure it will be at least as good as part 1, even better if Stoic manages to improve those couple weak spots of the first installment. i will be very happy to play it !

I think that first shot may be of actual game-play. The banner is trailing from the lead longboat, which suggests to me that there will be some travel by boat as well as caravan.
    For cards and art prints, visit my Celtic Art Print Gallery: http://ian-herriott.artistwebsites.com/
    "Like" me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celti...51218704893987
    And view all of my Banner Saga Crest Designs on tumblr: http://gaelvin.tumblr.com

I AM READY! This has me hyped, nothing has filled that Banner Saga shaped slot in my heart, I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by balnoisi View Post
    i always thought they could release on the same day every year since it worked great for them last time ( was it first week of February? ), so that may very well be the date.
    They've released on 1/14/14 (Or 14.1.2014 as is a proper date notation), right into the middle of Steam Winter Sales. So I can't say it was a good day for release.
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul

As much as I'd like to hope for TBS2 release in early 2015, my instinct tells me we should, once more, be patient. Here's a couple of facts in support of that:
    • TBS1's trailer released in November 2013 included a precise release day; this TBS2 trailer has none...
    • Demo/preview builds of TBS1 were shown in multiple expos & events starting from September 2013; none has surfaced for TBS2 yet...
    • Last, but not least, with John's hands so deep in all those TBS1 ports (for those who missed it: TBS1 will be coming to PS4 and PS Vita), I can't see how TBS2 can be assembled, tested, balanced, polished and finalized in only 2-3 months from here, while also working on those 2-3 ports (Linux, PS4/Vite).

I don't wanna sound pessimistic, but I think we're looking at late-spring release here, maybe even early-summer... Here's hoping I'm proven wrong!

it was January then not February, in any case after christmas and most of the big names were released. i thought it was a quiet date and they benefited from that, just my impressions.

well i wouldn't call this a trailer, it is just a teaser of sorts to pique already existing fans interest; without dialogue shots, combat shots, camp management shots anyone else could mistake it for a Dragon's Lair clone. i'm sure proper real trailer will come later.

i doubt they are implementing new functions in their engine, fine-tuning it sure but the work is done. for the first one they started from scratch, now the foundations are laid so is basically creating and adding content and they've been at it for months, plus i think someone said the story was already set, written down on paper for parts 2 & 3.
    i do hope they had a lot to test and polish regarding pure gameplay though, and that this meant they put an effort in improving it ( not that it was bad by any means, but it's a a system filled with possibilities and i would love to see it taken further ). personally i'd love some more ambition in this department, as well as in the script section but that's a whole other thing.

so will it be more of the same which is very good, or will it be taken a step up ?
    Last edited by balnoisi; 12-07-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Awesome! I'm excited

I don't mind how long it takes - I'm happy to wait for them to get the game right.

(That Mohawk guy seems to be playing a harp or something.. maybe a new unit type?)

i'm interesting,what will be with translations of second part?

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    i'm interesting,what will be with translations of second part?
    Stoic have set-up the translations thing for TBS1, so it will be much easier in the following game(s). I just hope they don't work with the same guys that did the first game's translations... A lot of complaints about some of those!

Woohoooo!! One of the few game announcements that has me excited in a long time! really looking forward to it stoic
    Edit: also, were those rook and alette narrating the trailer? It's been a while since I last played the game and I can't quite remember what their voices were like, or at least rook's voice, since alette had no voice actor I think...
    Last edited by Mastermind; 12-09-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
    Edit: also, were those rook and alette narrating the trailer? It's been a while since I last played the game and I can't quite remember what their voices were like, or at least rook's voice, since alette had no voice actor I think...
    Comparing this voice-acting with that of the TBS1 launch-trailer (youtube link), we concluded that it's the same voice actors. So, if those were Rook & Alette in the TBS1-trailer, then one could assume that it's them again, in the TBS2-trailer... Taking it a bit further: we all know what happens at the end of TBS1, so the words spoken in the end of the trailer ("I give you my word, my oath: We will survive"), spoken in turn by the male & female voice, take a special meaning

looks very cool, and promising.
    EDIT: did you notice no dredge but bellower?
    also the dredge behind the banner has blood
    Last edited by shigad; 12-16-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Finally some news!

January is probably a bit too optimistic, but I hope we'll get it before the summer.

yes i hope too

This is great news!

WOOOOHOOOOO! Man that was some long wait. Great trailer, great news, great looking animations (looks like characters will finally move a bit more during conversations), great new additions (except horseborn sadly - they looked amazing on concept art, and now - probably due to the addition of "Celtic" vibe they look waaay to much like the blue race from avatar).

Splitting the story right at the start depending on who survived Bellower fight is very brave, but I applaud it loudly - hopefully it will have more meaning than who is the caravan leader. Having Your choices count for that much will be refreshing change after the shit DA:Inquisition served.

Also I saw Aleo (ohaio!) streaming today - the age of wonders is truly upon us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rensei View Post
    Also I saw Aleo (ohaio!) streaming today
    Heh I actually don't stream so rarely, maybe 2-3 times a month.

Now that you're back, oh wise programming-Sensei, please take a look at those two Java projects I undertook some time ago. Both are inspired, to a some extent, by your own work in the area
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 01-05-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Sweet job! Congratulations!
    Loved the sounds in RBG (even though I'm still proud of my... unorthodox ones), and how nicely it is put together. The other one is even better, bet that took some time to implement huh? Are You planning to push it a bit further with more units?

What tool are You using? I've started computer science classes and got to know Java a bit better, it's just BlueJ for me however, at least for now (looking into eclipse and netbeans).

Haha, yeah my RBG is much more orthodox compared to yours The sounds in the RBG were extracted from the game files themselves: These are FMOD files and there are tools out there that can extract literally every sound (sfx, music etc) directly ubti mp3 format. Then, it's really easy to play those mp3s in a Java8 application.

The (wannabe) TBSF JavaReMake was indeed somewhat harder to put together. I didn't know where I was going when I started, so that one is one big java source (with several classes) that basically implements the move-around mechanic & GUI. I then had to pause the project as I got swamped with work. At that time I had two different directions in mind to follow, but couldn't decide which: (a) Implement the other visual/GUI assets of the game, basically the action-select pop-up {move,ability,attack,rest/end} and the attack pop-up {armor,strength}+{willpower} when you click on active unit or enemy unit, respectively. (b) Build the game itself from the foundations, i.e. two players with a 6-unit build each, turn-queue, abilities etc and then plug the GUI in... I started working towards (b), but soon stopped due to work. I mean to bring it to the same level as that MATLAB prototype, where I have all rank-0 base-classes with their passives implemented and the game actually playable. I was hoping to implement two game modes: the normal battle mode (where turn/action alternates between the two players) as well as a "free-play" mode where you can play whichever unit, performing only valid actions. We'll see

I used NetBeans IDE 8.0.1 for those. I am not a programmer myself, but I know some basics, and I just wanted to hone my skills while working on something I liked. The RBG was made using NetBean's GUI-maker. This app is really simple with 95% of the code being about the GUI items and how to link sliders to values etc; the rest of the 5% is about random numbers and checking other misc things (e.g. sound). The TSBF JavaReMake was also done in NetBeans, but I coded it "directly", from scratch, and that is the reason it is monstrosity! I used Swing for almost every visual aspect and borrowed some code from here and there. If you like (or dare) to take a peek, I can share the source-code

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast