Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: How about some goodies for the long wait, Stoic?

How about some goodies for the long wait, Stoic?

Greetings my fellow Vikings

I am a fan of the Banner Saga since I first heard of it…Vikings, Giants, Nordic theme, Chess-like strategy and beautiful arts, I was immediately fascinated. I had a lot of fun since Factions came out on Steam as a free to play game and couldn’t wait for Banner Saga 1. In this early time, Strand was full of warriors and among them slowly Champions arose which one could look up to such as RPGamer, KB. As casual player I’ve never played in the upper competitive league, thus never reached beyond P6, but I had my fun  Also in the community it was exciting times, people started guides, vivid discussion on strategy were held and one could see the delevopers regularly posting and answering to threads. Thanks to some quite active players, among them Tirean, Butters, Slimsy, Netznazgul, Kletian (Names I often read throughout the forum) there was always something going on in the community. After this “golden era” came quite a hard time, everybody was waiting for Banner Saga 1 to come out, nothing new in factions, declining player numbers, even the veterans in the forums slowly began to “retire”. My visits in strands also become more and more rare. Then, finally when Banner Saga came out, we’ve seen a many new players in faction, however this level could not be held. When I played through the game I was so eager and curious to try out the new units in factions, but it was a major downer to hear that work on factions was stopped to an indefinite time. Sadly, this prediction was true, since almost a year, nothing happened to factions. Luckily there always some keepers of the watch in strand, among them the ever constant, Stoicmom, the mother of all Strandonians :P and also Aleonymous who turned out to be one of the most active forum members. Thank you (and of course all the others in the forum I didn’t mentioned) for keeping the community alive. Now we came again to a long waiting period and I must admit, with an average of 15-17 players in the game, the player base became quite…humble.
    I just recently signed up to the forum and it is really a nice small community we got here. Long time I was only observing and reading but now I really feel like something must happen. Factions was always a really nice way to bridge the long times between the main game. So please Stoic, don’t let it die, pay at least a bit attention to it. There are two things, which I think are not too difficult to implement and in my opinion would add again some spice to the game:

1) Unlock all the colors for the units, let the players enjoy the beauty of all skins. I mean 10 EUR for a color pack in a game which stands still since over a year and is free to play? Nowadays you get full games on steam with this amount of money. It’s not that I’m not willing to pay real money (initially I wanted to buy it before I heard Factions would be “Dead”) but 10 EUR is just not contemporary anymore.

2) Give us the possibility to re-rank our units. Meaning that I once you have a rank 3 unit, you can also play it as rank 1 again. So you can play in both P6 and P12 matches (Tourney) without spending masses of renown to have multiple same units at different ranks. Currently if you want to play a 2 BM at all levels, you need 2xr1, 2xr2, 2xr3 units. I think somewhere in the forum some math has been done how much renown one must spend.
    Of course some of you could argue: “Well, then earn your renown for upper ranks and colours, you just need to play XX matches”. With the current player base it is just not so easy anymore to grind for renown anymore. I mean just ask the veteran players here how many matches they play per week. I was always a casual player, so now it would be even more difficult to get mass renown.

Sorry for the tl:dr, but I feel like there is still a very long march ahead of us until something proficient happens. So Stoic, why not keep up the morale of your vikings with some goodies hmm?
    What do you others think?
    Sorry for any typos, the text is even too long for me to re-read :P that’s it for the moment.

Keep the shieldwall tight vikings!!

p.s.: Aleonymus, you can call me Raid, its okay

Hello, Raid () and welcome to our humble little community, as a vocal member, and not a silent observer!

You portrayed the situation at these Forums, and in Strand, very accurately. Sadly, your description could have been made in Summer 2014, and it would have been exactly the same... What keeps Factions alive, apart from the handful of old timers, is Steam-sales for TBS1 as well as its ports to other platforms (iOS, Android), that bring in new players that stick around for a couple of months. So, at this point, any minor change to the game (e.g. balance tweaks, addition of a small feature etc) would be welcome. Last news is that Stoic is looking into ways to actively support Factions in parallel with TBS2/3 development (and TBS1 ports), but these efforts apparently haven't come to fruition...

As to your suggestions:

1) Aye, a price-drop on all Factions DLCs would be fine. However, giving them away totally free doesn't sound so nice, because there's people who have actually paid for them...

2) That's an interesting suggestion, e.g. having a rank-3 unit that can be fielded as a rank-{0,1,2,3} unit, at will. I see why Stoic would not wanna do this in the long run, taking into account the lack of "Renown sinks" (i.e. ways to spend your Renown once it grows too much). However, at this point this would surely help.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    Thanks, Aleo and Raid. I like these ideas, but alas, as Aleo said we hesitate to change anything on the game right now. All 3 games, Factions - The Banner Saga - The Banner Saga2 exist in 1 game engine and there have been HUGE changes to that since we made Factions. To do an update to Factions is actually a huge deal and would require lots of time on our part and a long time for QA.
    That being said please trust me when I say we're working tirelessly behind the scenes to see that Factions is, someday hopefully soon, given it's proper attention. We don't want to fix it with bandaids, we want to make it a proper game that goes beyond it's current state as a 'combat demo' of sorts.
    Stay tuned...

Well it's good to hear that you intend to do something about it, and do it properly. I for one can't wait to see Factions become a living entity of its own, but you knew that already! I wish you good fortune on your production of TBS2 and Factions alike!
    RK/Magnus on Twitch
    @thewritemagnus on Twitter

Can we at least have all r1 units free? I know a lot of people paid for stuff in the game, but rank 1 units are cheap anyway and the game needs something in order to regain people's interest again. Why not just lower the entry to actually be competitive and allow people experiment and stuff like that?

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeDurrrp View Post
    Can we at least have all r1 units free? I know a lot of people paid for stuff in the game, but rank 1 units are cheap anyway and the game needs something in order to regain people's interest again. Why not just lower the entry to actually be competitive and allow people experiment and stuff like that?

haha kamikaze ! Long time no see. Steam friend of mine got me to download the game recently so he could find a match and I come to the forums and this is what I see. I'll be honest I am just as cynical now as I was before about this. Soon ........ Literally years of soon. If they cared about the game they would do what you asked at the very least, and have done it early 2014.

Hello there! it's good and encouraging to hear that you are working on the game to be proper one and I’m really looking forward to see Factions in a new dress (Can’t wait for TBS2 as well). We are not expecting (anymore) a major update for the current Factions game, but only minor re-tweaking, thus only a small bit of attention. Would it be so difficult to change some numbers? As Kamikaze was already saying, making the r1 units free or at least a significant drop in their renown prices would make a big change. Then people can experiment around with different r1 builds and the learning curve would be still there since you have to earn enough kills for promotion.
    And the colours!! Please reduce the price of the colour package or reduce the price of renown of the in-game unlockable ones (as well the price for name changing).
    I don’t think changing some numbers would take big time, no?

Quote Originally Posted by R4id View Post
    [...] We are not expecting (anymore) a major update for the current Factions game, but only minor re-tweaking, thus only a small bit of attention. Would it be so difficult to change some numbers? [...] I don’t think changing some numbers would take big time, no?
    From what I get, Factions source-code hasn't been visited/updated for far too long, while the Saga source-code has evolved and spiraled away from it. Consequently, going back to change things in the Factions "branch" of the source-code now will be like opening the fridge after being away for several months: You either have to devote time & effort to clean it up and replenish it, or you just don't open it!
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Well, it may be that Stoic doesn't want to open this pandora's box again. Then again, for a significant price drop of the colour pack, you wouldn't need to change source codes, I guess...so that one must be highly REALISTIC to implement. What do you think Stoic ? Yes, some people have paid for this, but this was probably a while ago...and how many did they sold anyway?

More goodies for goodies God!
    If you don't know where to put it - put it in the pillage

Steelhammer Tribune issues collected here
    Some of my Factions games can be observed here
    Also possible streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/netnazgul