Thread: Is a Varl-less build viable?

Is a Varl-less build viable?

Hello both of you still here. I'm coming back after quite a while away and will have more time soon to play fairly regularly. There are several units that I haven't used much so I'll be doing a lot of experimenting.

Anyway, I was thinking about different extreme cases your could build and was wondering about not using varls at all. Is it too much of a handicap? or is it one at all? Will their higher strength and armor be too much of an issue?

Just curious about your thoughts.

Hello there, from one of the two still here

Experience has showed that fielding no-Varl teams is putting you in handicap... It all boils down to the higher stats of the Varl, as well as some pretty neat abilities, like Tempest (WH) or Battering Ram (SRM) or Malice (PK). I guess a strong player with a 6Human build could manage against a weak one with a [2Varl 4Human] build, so I'd only do it if I enjoy the challenge or annoying techniques, e.g. turtling 3BMs in a corner and fortifying them with StoneWalled RMs. However, I'd never bet on a 2Varl build played well to lose against a 6Human one.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

That's kind of what I thought but I will still probably play around with it a bit to see if I learn anything. Not having units with high strength makes you rely on your archers being able to finish off units with puncture, but that means that you have to do a good job of breaking armor with the first round of units.

What time of day are you usually on? I am in the USA on central standard time so you are about 8 hours ahead of me. But we should try to play some. I am grandmasterjude on steam.
    Last edited by Jude; 11-21-2015 at 12:46 AM.

Puncture is super-OP, never underestimate it. But, those Break>Puncture combos that multi-archer builds rely on require a certain "tempo" that can easily be shattered if, for example, the enemy manages to maim/kill your "bruiser" (last-in-turn) archer.

Sent you a friend-invitation on Steam. I can only play on weekday evenings, e.g. 20h-24h (that would be your afternoons) and weekends. We'll manage! I can also try streaming/recording our matches, something I haven't done in a long while
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I agree with Aleo. Playing without Varl is more difficult than playing with them. You will have to be better then opponent because he/she has advantage in stats. But using some turtling with Stonewalled RM's and cleverly combining it with abilities of all archers could lead to victory, althought it would be difficult.