Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Banner Saga 2 :)

The Banner Saga 2 :)

Well, you probably heard it already, but I wanted to make a post about it here too, for old time's sake

So, The Banner Saga 2 just launched, 27 months after the first part. Reviews seem rather good so far, maybe even a bit better than Saga 1. If you liked the first part, you'll sure as hell like this one too!

Here's some official websites:

And some aggregation sites, to check out the game's popularity and scores:

@ Fellow Vikings: Godspeed and enjoy your Saga!

@ Stoic: Thank you, for another great game

Skal!
    Last edited by Aleonymous; 04-21-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

I'll buy the sequel and third when they get around to fixing their horrid combat system.

Thanks for the links Aleo. I'm remembering 2 years ago when I had too much free time and spent release day compiling a list of all the review of the first game. I'm glad to hear the second game is being well received and the improvement sounds interesting.

I pre-ordered it only to discover that I had accidentally erased all my saves from the first game when I uninstalled it from my computer. Whoops! So now I'm slowly working my way through the first game, working hard to keep every character alive, just to see how many have speaking roles in the second game. This time Egil will live, I promise! At the rate I'm going, I probably won't get a chance to play Banner Saga 2 for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by quartex View Post
    Thanks for the links Aleo. I'm remembering 2 years ago when I had too much free time and spent release day compiling a list of all the review of the first game. I'm glad to hear the second game is being well received and the improvement sounds interesting.

I pre-ordered it only to discover that I had accidentally erased all my saves from the first game when I uninstalled it from my computer. Whoops! So now I'm slowly working my way through the first game, working hard to keep every character alive, just to see how many have speaking roles in the second game. This time Egil will live, I promise! At the rate I'm going, I probably won't get a chance to play Banner Saga 2 for a while.
    Heh, yeah. Saga2 release was considerably under-hyped by the "old community", in these here forums... Two days after release and just three posts about it

Did you not have the saves in the Steam Cloud? If you played anytime after the first big patch (summer 2014), they should have been uploaded there. Anyway, be informed that the canon start options provided in Saga2 actually keep all heroes alive. As for the other choices: (a) I think the Einartoft bridge is destroyed, (b) the Dredge baby is rescued, (c) Egil survives, so no Ekkill.

Glad to hear about the start conditions...I may actually be tempted to play with them!

In the meantime, I'm absolutely loving TBS2...but then again, I loved TBS1, and this just tweaks everything to be slightly better. (Even, possibly, the soundtrack, which I didn't think could be improved.)

Scared to really discuss it in forums, though, until I've beaten it.

Well, I didn't dare to go on to the forums until I had finished my first playthrough (for fear of spoilers...)

And now that that's settled (14h of game time later), I dare say: I'm seriously impressed! Everything just felt like Stoic upped the quality by a few percent. The art was even more stunning (didn't think that was possible..), the soundtrack was absolutely beautiful and the gameplay tweaks made perfect sense and allowed for an all-round smooth experience!

The only problem being: I now want to know how the Saga continues... seriously, how am I to wait another 2 years?!
    Thálatta! Thálatta!

Aleonymous, thanks for the info. But the temptation to carry my stats and items through to the next game is enough to make me want to replay Banner Saga 1. (I suspect the only way Rook wins that first battle in the second game is if you've maxxed out his stats and he has a very powerful item) Are all the minor characters from game one really in the default start of the second game (like Bersi and Griss?).

Plot speculation:
    Didn't Alette have a thing for Ekkill in the first game (I remember you having to tell him to stay away from her). I wonder if anything happens between them in the second game (assuming Egil isn't there). The story mentioned Hakon being king of the Varl. I wonder what happens if Iver repudiates the monarchy in game one...

I could see replaying the first game with various choices to see if they have any effect on the sequels. I suspect that trying to hack the raw game files for story content would be a faster of figuring this out.

@Robert -- So little traffic here these days On the bright side: Little fear of spoilers!

@Isbjoern -- I hope Stoic deliver Saga3 faster. I wouldn't say 1y, but definitely not 2y, this time!

@quartex --

1. The minimum hero Rank in Saga2 is 3. So, if your imported crew had Rank-1s or -2s, they will be automatically promoted. I am not sure how their stats are allocated, but it's not up to us to distribute the points. I argued with Stoic about giving us the chance to do the statting at the start of Saga2 ourselves, but they thought it would meddle too much with tutorials and stuff.

2. I played Saga2 more with the Egil (not Ekkill), so not sure how it works with Alette. Hakon's role is a bit toned-down in Saga2, i.e. he's not a POV character in any chapter and his character (as depicted in dialogues etc) seems to have changed a bit with the change of writer (Drew McGee vs Alex Thomas) in Saga2.

3. Yes, peaking into the game-files for story-content would be much faster. But, once you do a Saga2 play-through, use your intuition as how much certain choices matter!

Fun game. Bought it after the steam sale. Don't really care about the 10%. 7 hours into my first game. Might end up replaying 1 again, maybe...

I'm conflicted.

Absolutely love the visuals, story, all the little upgrades and tweaks, but on the other hand ... I absolutely hate the way combat has changed. The heavy introduction of chance-based mechanics infuriates me to no end. I really wanted combat to be part of the game I could continue to enjoy, but half the time it feels like I have to restart a fight because of bad luck.

Working on a comprehensive list of feedback I'll write up when I finish my first playthrough. The best criticism comes from people who are huge fans, right?

@Korica -- I can see where you're standing, but I think that the only RNG-heavy change in Saga2 was the Talents mechanic. Most battles are subject to more or less the same randomness as Saga1, e.g. enemies are spawned from "buckets" meaning you might get a Thrasher or a Raidmaster enemy and so on. In my opinion, the Talents are like an unexpected "extra" that triggers from time to time; nothing to really rely on, that is. Anyway, waiting for your full feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Heh, yeah. Saga2 release was considerably under-hyped by the "old community", in these here forums... Two days after release and just three posts about it
    That might have something to do with many non-backers and bakers alike, not wanting to buy/get the game on Steam and rather waiting for a DRM-free copy...
    Last edited by Yellow; 04-29-2016 at 06:40 PM.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

I doubt the underhype here has to do with the DRM, even though I know at least one person *wink* underhyped was because of that This is clearly because Stoic abandoned the forums, rarely read/post and left all their community interaction and PR (social media etc) to Versus Evil who had nothing to do with all that we built here in 2012-2013.

I doubt the underhype here has to do with the DRM, even though I know at least one person *wink* underhyped was because of that This is clearly because Stoic abandoned the forums, rarely read/post and left all their community interaction and PR (social media etc) to Versus Evil who had nothing to do with all that we built here in 2012-2013.
    Well that too.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

There was a lot of Saga1 hype from Factions release, throughout Summer 2013 leading up to release in January 2014. Also, many many people believed that Stoic would work on Factions immediately after the release, which soon collapsed. Instead Stoic focused on ports (mobile, consoles) which continuously postponded Saga2 release. Now, the players very naturally think that Saga3 will come in 2018 and Factions won't be touched at all... So, why bother buying Saga2 at full price, now, when they can wait a few months a get a better price and a better game (patched, translated and all)? Strategic planning mistakes on behalf of Stoic there!

FWIW, just finished my first playthrough of TBS2 last night and loved it! Though I'm also wondering how I'm going to manage to handle the wait until the final chapter. :-)

There was a lot of Saga1 hype from Factions release, throughout Summer 2013 leading up to release in January 2014. Also, many many people believed that Stoic would work on Factions immediately after the release, which soon collapsed. Instead Stoic focused on ports (mobile, consoles) which continuously postponded Saga2 release. Now, the players very naturally think that Saga3 will come in 2018 and Factions won't be touched at all... So, why bother buying Saga2 at full price, now, when they can wait a few months a get a better price and a better game (patched, translated and all)? Strategic planning mistakes on behalf of Stoic there!
    Yeah, that's exactly what I thought! (But I still bought the game straight away cos I want to support them and play the game sooner than the discounts start...)

I haven't finished BS2 yet, but really enjoying it so far! I was really hoping for a direct link to factions from the menu this time so more people played it - but if there have been no improvements/changes since when I used to play there's probably no point yet!

I wonder how many potential Saga buyers (i.e. predominantly single-player/offline game players) would object to a ~3 year development cycle for Saga2 plus partial support to Factions, as compared to the presently delivered 2y dev-cycle (plus zero support to Factions) I think that Factions (and the community in general) was a very good means of keeping the hype going, while also allowing the pvp fans (both competitive & casual) to play in the TBS world. Not the mention the invaluable community help in balancing the combat (abilities, stats, AI etc).

I wonder how many potential Saga buyers (i.e. predominantly single-player/offline game players) would object to a ~3 year development cycle for Saga2 plus partial support to Factions, as compared to the presently delivered 2y dev-cycle (plus zero support to Factions) I think that Factions (and the community in general) was a very good means of keeping the hype going, while also allowing the pvp fans (both competitive & casual) to play in the TBS world. Not the mention the invaluable community help in balancing the combat (abilities, stats, AI etc).
    I really don't care how long I have to wait as long as the product is good. No good ever came from rushing a product.

Banner Saga isn't the only game in existence, I'll bide my time with other things until the next chapter comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Korica View Post
    I really don't care how long I have to wait as long as the product is good. No good ever came from rushing a product.

Banner Saga isn't the only game in existence, I'll bide my time with other things until the next chapter comes.
    I wasn't referring to quality of the Saga installments; I was referring to parallel support of the online PvP game of the franchise, Factions, while the Saga installments were developed. Of course there's other games to play and I, as well, don't mind waiting for a superior product

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast