Thread: Onef & Ekkill

Lightbulb Onef & Ekkill

This might be kind of an old topic, but still relevant in my opinion as it has never been properly explained. Spoilers ahead!

Why do Ekkill(Onef) betrays you at Frostvellr(the the town before The Wastes)?

You get 3 options:
    #1 Stay outside the town on your own.
    #2 Stay inside the town and help Ekkill/Onef
    #3 Stay inside the town on your own.

It makes sense for him to attack your group if you decide to stay on your own inside the walls and not cooperate with him. Or if one previously took an aggressive approach in order to get inside the walls in the first place(ambushed and attacked the supply wagon, sneaked in by the water passage or pushed/broke the gates). Then it would at least be somewhat plausible that even if we are currently cooperating he might want some revenge for the previous insults, although that should be better explained in-game in stead of left to imagination.

However if one took a passive approach in order to get inside the walls(confronted the supply wagon) without killing anyone, and then decided to stay inside and cooperate with him, then why does he attacks? You have done no harm to him in any way, on the contrary...

I recently did a new play-trough of the first game in preparation for the second one, and sadly this part of the game bugged my mind to no end. Is it an oversight? a plot-hole? was it done so on purpose, if so whats the logic? or was this simply an underdeveloped bit that required more fleshing out but time and money were scarce?
    Last edited by Yellow; 04-25-2016 at 02:19 PM.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

I am still frustrated about these events at Frostvellr myself... In the end of Ch2, you treat with Ekkill (who's supposedly in charge of the town) and take one of the three options you mentioned; Onef only does a cameo appearance and is presumed to be a third-class character. It is at the beginning of Ch4 when you leave Frostvellr that Onef actually approaches you, proposing to raid that storehouse and what not. To make things even more complicated, the caravans are "interlaced" meaning that you can't start from reaching Frostvellr (Ch2 ending) and then jump immediately to Ch4 beginning without playing the relatively long Ch3...
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

To me it seems like an oversight. Like if Stoic wanted to create more branching paths and outcomes to that scenario, but felt short on time/money or something, and then the generic "he always betrays you" is what we ended up with no matter what.

I can only hope that it, together with the Onef's betrayal further down the road, gets fleshed out/reworked eventually when the trilogy is over, so that it feels more organic and more based on player input and choices, rather than an arbitrary/artificial/forced event.
    Last edited by Yellow; 04-26-2016 at 03:03 AM.
    "Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"

Yup, this event definitely needs some reworking, if ever an "enhanced" version is made. Surest way is to form up a team to make a big fan-maintained patch/mod for the game. Problems are: (a) too little time & experience, (b) how would we decide on the "best" way to fix story problems like this one

Concerning this "backstabbing" event, if you played Saga2, you'll agree that Stoic did a much better job this time with (spoilers!) Rugga.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Looking back on Banner Saga 1, Frostvellr is one of the biggest locations where I felt like I had the most options, so strategically it seems like one of the most interesting puzzles, I like the multiple solutions. But I agree that the conclusion in Act 4 doesn't match the setup in Act 2. I'm replaying the game now and I really notice their absence, I find myself missing Ekkil and Onef, even though it ends badly. I haven't played chapters 6 and 7 yet, so I'm not sure if there is any rebellion without them. But in terms of the plot their characters do a good job of illustrating the dangers of allowing lots of strangers to join your caravan, and they depict the common viking's response to all the legendary events that are happening.

We're so used to thinking of them as vikings.