Thread: Banner saga 2 and 1 missing soundtrack?

Banner saga 2 and 1 missing soundtrack?

Hi, I was wondering if it is just me or if there are missing songs in the soundtracks?
    For example I am cant seem to find the track that plays in banner saga 2 when Spoilers:you disembark from the boats to fight the dredge for the second time.

I thought at the beggining it was a path throught the sky but it isnt.

Also in banner saga 1 when : you fight in the tower againt all those dredge slingers, where Juno and Eivyn are.

So am I correct? Are they really missing? Any chances for them being released later on?
    Thank you for your time.
    I am sorry, I am just a sucker for soundtracks xP
    Last edited by Little Horus; 05-12-2016 at 01:14 AM. Reason: fixing spoilers.

Interesting. I don't recall the tracks, so will have to play the game to check it out. However, it's entirely possible that some pieces were omitted. For instance, I am sure that the theme that plays during the Nobleman fight in Strand (Chapter 1) was only available as a pre-order exclusive, not in the main OST.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Yeah, I've poked around the FMOD files before, and it looks like there is, in fact, some music that didn't make it into the soundtrack. I speculate that this is partially due to the way the soundtrack was written. Often, there are multiple versions of the same piece of music (that are all quite similar except for the addition or subtraction of instruments), that transition in and out depending on what's going on in the battle/scene. I guess Austin had to make some hard decisions on what to cut out for the OST album in order to make for a seamless and non-repetitive listening experience.

That being said, I believe the two tracks you mentioned are partially represented in the OST. The beginning of the Ridgehorn battle from Saga 1 can be heard starting at 1:03 on "Thunder before Lightning," and I think the battle near the beginning of Saga 2 you're referring to might be represented either at 1:57 on "The World is Breaking," or at 0:18 on "A Path through the Skies"

EDIT: Actually, just realized that you're probably talking about the battle where the axemen are trying to chop through the debris in the river, which I sadly can't find in the soundtrack either.
    Last edited by Guğmundr; 05-12-2016 at 08:32 PM.
    Án brynju, mağur er varnarlaus. Án styrks, er hann ekkert.

Quote Originally Posted by Guğmundr View Post
    EDIT: Actually, just realized that you're probably talking about the battle where the axemen are trying to chop through the debris in the river, which I sadly can't find in the soundtrack either.
    I dont remember why I didnt pre-order the game, I could had sworn I did but not with the ost version... I think. Cant remember really haha.
    Well the track specificaly plays on the mission where you first fight against the skullkers and the big slag guy. I must have it!
    They should release them as bonus tracks or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Horus View Post
    Well the track specificaly plays on the mission where you first fight against the skullkers and the big slag guy. I must have it!
    They should release them as bonus tracks or something.
    Ah, this one? Yeah, there's two versions of this cue, one that plays during the first half of the battle, and one that plays in the second half that's more intense. Only the second half made it into the OST :/ That's the one at 0:18 on "A Path through the Skies."

There's probably no chance of a bonus track release, but if you want to listen to the game's audio files individually, you can open them using the FMOD Event Player (part of FMOD Studio, which was used to compile the audio files).
    Last edited by Guğmundr; 05-13-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Ah, this one? Yeah, there's two versions of this cue, one that plays during the first half of the battle, and one that plays in the second half that's more intense. Only the second half made it into the OST :/ That's the one at 0:18 on "A Path through the Skies."

There's probably no chance of a bonus track release, but if you want to listen to the game's audio files individually, you can open them using the FMOD Event Player (part of FMOD Studio, which was used to compile the audio files).
    Alright I just installed this but... I dont wanna sound like a blockhead but where do I go now?
    I mean I take I need to search for TBS music file no? or something along the lines.

Most appreciated for the help!

I like the stuff that Austin used on that part of the track, reminds me of Mirror's edge and other soundtracks that I used to listen to late last decade.
    Last edited by Little Horus; 05-21-2016 at 03:55 PM.

The sound files of the game, in FSB format, can be found in the following subfolders inside the game installation folder:

Code:
    ...\Steam\steamapps\common\tbs\assets\saga1\fmod
    ...\Steam\steamapps\common\tbs\assets\common\fmod
    The first folder contains music and the second SFX and ambients. Open these files with that software you installed and extract the sounds, most likely in MP3 format.

Yep, Aleo's right about the file locations. I've never been able to figure out a way to extract the files easily using the FMOD Event Player alone (all I know how to do is play them). There's always the old record-your-audio-output (stereo mix) method, but that would be a little impractical if you wanted more than a couple songs. If anyone figures out a way to convert them to MP3, please let me know .

Edit: The files that you can open in the Event Player are .FEV files. The FSBs contain the actual audio data, but the FEVs contain the information on how to play them correctly. I believe the track you've been looking for can be found by opening "saga2.fev" in the Event Player, then going to the "ch8" folder and playing "8mC3-S1-L1".
    Last edited by Guğmundr; 05-23-2016 at 12:56 PM.

I used a free software called FSB extractor -- https://aezay.dk/aezay/fsbextractor/ -- to extract the MP3s from the SFX. Haven't tried it on the music file, but I suppose it will be the same.

Ahh I am also searching for the track where Rookie fights against all those dredge by himself. I am still trying to extract this stuff, wont give up that easely.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    I used a free software called FSB extractor -- https://aezay.dk/aezay/fsbextractor/ -- to extract the MP3s from the SFX. Haven't tried it on the music file, but I suppose it will be the same.
    Cool, thanks Aleo! I've stumbled upon tools like this in searches, but was always skeptical about the safety of downloading them. Glad to know this one works!

Edit: Just tried it, and it works great!
    Last edited by Guğmundr; 05-25-2016 at 06:42 PM.

I've started sorting through the music files, and thought I'd share what I've figured out so far. This should be every track heard in chapter 8 (minus those played during the video cutscenes), listed in the order encountered in a playthrough. Underneath the (unofficial) titles are the name of the .FSB files each track is located in, followed by the track filename. Let me know if anything is incorrect, and I'll update the post accordingly.

*Asterisks indicate tracks not included in the OST.

Main Menu
    ch8 > 8m0
    Aleo’s Village Tutorial - Intro
    ch8 > 8mC1a
    Aleo’s Village Tutorial - Loop
    ch8 > 8mC1b
    Aleo’s Village Tutorial - Outro
    ch8 > 8mC1b-V
    Aleo’s Village Rook Battle - Loop*
    ch8 > 8mC1c
    Aleo’s Village Rook Battle - Victory*
    battle > TBS-Combat_v3-VICTORY-v2c
    Aleo’s Village Rook Battle - Defeat*
    battle > TBS-Combat_v3-DEFEAT-v2c
    Main Title
    theme > 8m2
    Travel from Aleo’s Village
    ch8 > 8m3-L1_TAIL
    Travel from Meeting Rugga
    battle > 8m3-L3
    River Debris Battle: First Round*
    ch8 > 8mC2-L1
    River Debris Battle: Second Round*
    ch8 > 8mC2-L2
    River Debris Battle - Victory*
    ch8 > 8mC2-V
    River Debris Battle - Defeat*
    ch8 > 8mC2-OUTRO
    Training - Loop*
    training > TBS-0m3-L2-v1b
    Training - Outro*
    training > TBS-1m1-OUT-v2b
    Travel from Training Stop - Loop*
    ch8 > 8m3-L2
    Travel from Training Stop - Outro
    ch8 > 8m3-OUT
    Aselei's Godstone - With Vocals
    ch8 > 8mG1
    Aselei's Godstone – Without Vocals
    ch8 > 8mG1_NoVox
    Approaching the Waterfall*
    battle > 8m4a
    On The Chasm’s Edge*
    battle > TBS-2mC2-S3
    Waterfall Landing and Ormsa Chasm Battles - Phase 1*
    ch8 > 8mC3-S1-L1
    Waterfall Landing and Ormsa Chasm Battles - Phase 2
    ch8 > 8mC3-S1-L2
    Ormsa Chasm Battle - Phase 3
    ch8 > 8mC3-S2-L1
    Ormsa Chasm Battle - Phase 4*
    ch8 > 8mC3-S2-L2
    Ormsa Chasm Battle - Phase 5
    battle > 8mC3-S2-L3
    Ormsa Chasm Battle - Outro
    ch8 > 8mC3-V
    Crossing the Chasm - Phase 1*
    ch8 > 8m6-L1
    Crossing the Chasm - Phase 2
    ch8 > 8m6-L2
    Orsmdalr
    ch8 > 8m7
    Last edited by Guğmundr; 05-26-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Sounds like a ponderous task, there, Gud! How did you retrieve the order of the musical pieces, from that FMOD Event Player?

Sounds like a ponderous task, there, Gud! How did you retrieve the order of the musical pieces, from that FMOD Event Player?
    Wish it were that simple I actually did a quick playthrough of chapter 8 and matched what I heard to the audio files.

Hmm do you know if the voices from the river from chapter 14 are there? Hhehe out of sheer curiosity.
    I am so glad everyone helped! there are some really good tracks in there. Specially in chapter 8.

Wish it were that simple I actually did a quick playthrough of chapter 8 and matched what I heard to the audio files.
    Ouch. Ponderous indeed, then Maybe you could find that information in the console (or the log-files)? The "command" to play this or that tune should be eventually controlled by the "master" gamefile saga2.json.z

Quote Originally Posted by Little Horus View Post
    Hmm do you know if the voices from the river from chapter 14 are there? Hhehe out of sheer curiosity.
    A quick look-though yielded this file, which I think is what you are referring to: tbs2/assets/common/fmod/world2_pop_ch14.fsb > tbs2_amb_pop_aselei_water music

Ouch. Ponderous indeed, then Maybe you could find that information in the console (or the log-files)? The "command" to play this or that tune should be eventually controlled by the "master" gamefile saga2.json.z
    Thanks for the ideas Aleo! Using the logs looks promising!