Thread: Renown for Friend Matches

Renown for Friend Matches

So I've been a big fan of The Banner Saga for ages, own it on both PC and PS4, and just recently came across Factions. Naturally I got really excited to play with friends...and then learned after a few matches you get zero renown for playing with friends, which kind of takes away the fun of it for me.

I know Factions has been out for a few years now, but is there ANY chance they'll ever change this? Make it more worthwhile to be able to actually play with your friends?

Renown from Friend Matches was intentionally disabled as a protection against players who would "farm" renown by fighting with themselves, e.g. using two accounts or something. Protection against that exploit made sense back when there were lots of people playing this game, competitively and all. Now, I agree with you...

To your question: Stoic doesn't have plans to tweak Factions anywhere in the near future We've asked for such small-scale questions dozens of times, and nothing.
    Together we stand, divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleonymous View Post
    Renown from Friend Matches was intentionally disabled as a protection against players who would "farm" renown by fighting with themselves, e.g. using two accounts or something. Protection against that exploit made sense back when there were lots of people playing this game, competitively and all. Now, I agree with you...

To your question: Stoic doesn't have plans to tweak Factions anywhere in the near future We've asked for such small-scale questions dozens of times, and nothing.
    And, unfortunately, it's a shame

Anyway, i don't remeber well Faction, i do a couple of matches now and then, but don't remember that renown was very useful in game.
    My mods: YaK's SSLTBS1 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga/mods/1 ) and Drake's & YaK's BS2 Unofficial Fixpack ( www.nexusmods.com/thebannersaga2/mods/2 )

I think, therefore I am... I think.

Yup, promoting a rank-0 unit all the way to rank-3 requires 20+80+160=260 Renown. A single battle gives ~10R, assuming you play with the 'expert timer' (30sec instead of 45sec) and maintain an above-average win/loss ratio. In short, it takes an average player approximately ~600R to make a power-12 team (for tournament) from scratch, which is 50+ matches, if we include the Renown from unlocking Steam Achievements.

That's alot of matches considering that most of the time there are no players to play against.

I just bought the game and started to play it from the beginning hoping for an ... I was happy to try this game for its fantasy setting and clean ... They tell me to use items and points and buy food. ... And I've passed a few days along the river, and for what? After a while I was so pissed I just closed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by imran View Post
    I just bought the game and started to play it from the beginning hoping for an ... I was happy to try this game for its fantasy setting and clean ... They tell me to use items and points and buy food. ... And I've passed a few days along the river, and for what? After a while I was so pissed I just closed the game.
    Sometimes you wonder at how these bots work, and how they manage to appear on-topic, no? I'll wipe this (and the previous), provided that I get no human response in a couple of days.